Analog Lab 4 vs. Analog Lab V?

Discuss VST stuff here!
joeyluck

23 Dec 2020

So I had purchased Analog Lab 4 back in April.

I then noticed today that Arturia Software Center was telling me that Analog Lab V was one of my products not yet installed.

However, it's one of two products under Analog Lab 4 (not listed separately).

What's the difference? And why am I seeing this in Arturia Software Center? Is this a free crossgrade? Is this a demo? There's no info in my account or email from Arturia about it.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

By way of a hijack...or an extension...does anyone know why the upgrade from Analog Lab Lite in my account is to AL4 and not V?
Hope you don’t mind Joey.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jackjackdaw

23 Dec 2020

AL 5 is free if you own v4 (or maybe v collection 7 , idk) and can be installed side by side. Wise to keep v4 if you have existing presets.

There are loads of new presets and new instruments which is great. But it's also a hideous mess to look at and use and I've got the hump about it!

Jackjackdaw

23 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
23 Dec 2020
By way of a hijack...or an extension...does anyone know why the upgrade from Analog Lab Lite in my account is to AL4 and not V?
Probably because of compatibility, presets and instruments etc. I think Jup 8v4 and the new instruments throw a spanner in the works

joeyluck

23 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
23 Dec 2020
Maybe it's the way they handle licensing for now? Perhaps related to me having Lab V under Lab 4?

So I installed Lab V and had a quick play with it. I found that there is much less controls. It seems like an even more slimmed version—like they are maybe trying to widen the gap even more between Lab and the full V Collection? A few patches I opened gave me some warning that they were built in Lab 4, and now that Lab V has different controls/effects, once I save them with changes, there's no going back...or something like that.

Lab V has a Stage and Studio mode/view. Lab 4 had the concert lists. Browsing patches feels clunkier in Lab V. The Stage mode is nice though.

This is an early impression, but I prefer Lab 4. You get more control. And if you can confirm you get Lab 4 and Lab V bundled, then I would go for that and try them for yourself.

Italophile

23 Dec 2020

joeyluck wrote:
23 Dec 2020
I found that there is much less controls.
It depends what controller you are using. With my Keylab MkII I get about the same control as before.

By default AL V doesn’t load the presets for the Stage 73 and Jupiter 8 unless the option to load legacy patches is enabled.

joeyluck

23 Dec 2020

Italophile wrote:
23 Dec 2020
joeyluck wrote:
23 Dec 2020
I found that there is much less controls.
It depends what controller you are using. With my Keylab MkII I get about the same control as before.

By default AL V doesn’t load the presets for the Stage 73 and Jupiter 8 unless the option to load legacy patches is enabled.
I'm talking about physical controls on the GUI...unless they are also doing that to try to get people to buy their hardware? Do the missing controls appear when you have an NI controller connected? I don't know if the missing controls are assigned to specific MIDI CC's, but I'm certainly not looking to setup a controller to control parameters I can't see...

Also, it is weird about the "Legacy patches". The whole thing is weird. If someone is interested in Analog Lab, I would suggest grabbing it as long as Lab 4 is available. I wonder when if ever they will discontinue it...

Boombastix
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2020

I think Arturia realized they keep adding too many presets to Analog Lab with every new synth that comes along, making too great value.
I cannot see any possibility to layer and add FX in AL V, and they cut back on presets compared to AL 4. The knobs assignments in AL4 is a real mess, so don't expect to be able to do any real shaping with them, it is a hit-n-miss kinda thing.

AL 5 has many nice presets from the new synths, so it is very useful for accessing those, but AL 4 is more feature rich and has way more presets over-all. Better grab AL 4 while it still is there...

Arturia made Pigments free for a couple of months (not a trial, but fully functional), so as the curious bastard that I am, I re-saved ALL Pigments patches in AL 4 to see what happens after the free period (you cannot save trial synth patches, but you could with this free time limited trial). I now have ALL Pigments patches available to me in AL 4 :lol:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Italophile

24 Dec 2020

joeyluck wrote:
23 Dec 2020
Italophile wrote:
23 Dec 2020

I'm talking about physical controls on the GUI...unless they are also doing that to try to get people to buy their hardware? Do the missing controls appear when you have an NI controller connected? I don't know if the missing controls are assigned to specific MIDI CC's, but I'm certainly not looking to setup a controller to control parameters I can't see...

Also, it is weird about the "Legacy patches". The whole thing is weird. If someone is interested in Analog Lab, I would suggest grabbing it as long as Lab 4 is available. I wonder when if ever they will discontinue it...
I'm talking about Controls in the GUI too. You should be able to make the extra controls visible by editing the settings (click the gear icon at top right).
Analog Lab.png

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Dec 2020

Anybody else having problems with the controls at the bottom of AL Intro...really jerky?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Italophile

24 Dec 2020

Boombastix wrote:
23 Dec 2020
I cannot see any possibility to layer and add FX in AL V, and they cut back on presets compared to AL 4.
You layer and add FX in Studio view. Whereas in AL4 you could only add two FX as sends, in AL V you have two fixed sends, delay and reverb, and can add a further two insert FX.

After I added the legacy patches back in I had more presets in AL V than AL 4.

You can see the additional controls if you change the controller in settings.

diminished
Competition Winner

24 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
24 Dec 2020
Anybody else having problems with the controls at the bottom of AL Intro...really jerky?
Not only jerky, I even experienced where changes on the knobs didn't translate into a different sound - except when you export it, then these changes are applied. Not sure if it's Reason's or Arturia's fault, but I didn't test it in another DAW that's VST3 compatible yet.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

joeyluck

24 Dec 2020

Italophile wrote:
24 Dec 2020
joeyluck wrote:
23 Dec 2020

I'm talking about Controls in the GUI too. You should be able to make the extra controls visible by editing the settings (click the gear icon at top right).
Analog Lab.png
Ok thanks for explaining and showing this. Is that option available without having an Arturia controller connected? I can of course check later.

Italophile

25 Dec 2020

joeyluck wrote:
24 Dec 2020
Is that option available without having an Arturia controller connected?
Yes, but the settings don't persist between sessions.

gritz

27 Dec 2020

I noticed with arturias Juno 106 vocoder and the other new vsts I’ve been unable to screen shoot the image in reason 11 this is a new issue I’ve never had

• Information