Stutter Edit 1 vs 2

Discuss VST stuff here!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Dec 2020

Upgrade from Stutter Edit to Stutter Edit 2 is $24 on JRR with code Group. Anybody say whether and why 2 is better than 1? Probably won’t buy it anyway but just wondered. Thanks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Dec 2020

joeyluck wrote:
15 Dec 2020
I still have version 1 and haven't used it much.

You might find this useful though:
https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/why-up ... dit-2.html
Thanks Joey. I’ll give that a read. To be honest I haven’t used 1 either so that’s why I probably wouldn’t upgrade. But the GAS...well, you know :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Boombastix
Competition Winner

15 Dec 2020

I never upgraded, but I am intrigued with how you can draw those curves in v2. Imma try the demo, maybe...

And BT was on today's Plugin boutique live stream. Most likey on YouTube now for playback.
Last edited by Boombastix on 15 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

groggy1

15 Dec 2020

FYI, I'd try the Stutter Edit 2 demo if you can (they have a 10 day free trial)

I thought Stutter Edit is one of those VSTs that actually took a step back from v1. The new UX is confusing, and ugly, in my opinion. Probably because they moved to a flat aesthetic (V1 was skeuomorphic). A lot of people like the flat design, which is fine - but I suggest trying it out first

stuk71

16 Dec 2020

I find stutter edit 2 much easier to use, I mean I can get the results that I am looking for quicker... and its not all about totally destroying your loops... I find its best used subtly which I find version 2 is easier to dial in the subtlety than version 1 is.

I like how you can chop up a loop/ track easily without being destructive to the original source.. as I find that I tinker away different sections and change my mind... often... but isn't that the fun of mixing sounds? :roll:

I can't say its a must download, and its certainly not something that I use on every project. But when required... it gets the job done with minimal fuss.

I picked it up cheap when it came out (because I can't control the GAS) and I have since uninstalled version 1

plus I like BT and he likes Reason so.
Last edited by stuk71 on 16 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

danc

16 Dec 2020

stuk71 wrote:
16 Dec 2020
I find stutter edit 2 much easier to use, I mean I can get the results that I am looking for quicker... and its not all about totally destroying your loops... I find its best used subtly which I find version 2 is easier to dial in the subtlety than version 1 is.

I like how you can chop up a loop/ track easily without being destructive to the original source.. as I find that I tinker away different sections and change my mind... often... but isn't that the fun of mixing sounds? :roll:

I can say its a must download, and its certainly not something that I use on every project. But when required... it gets the job done with minimal fuss.

I picked it up cheap when it came out (because I can't control the GAS) and I have since uninstalled version 1

plus I like BT and he likes Reason so.
Wholeheartedly agree that Stutter Edit 2 is extremely useful for subtlety... whereas version 1 felt like a one trick pony that smacked you in the face for stuttering vocals, synths or drums. The clubbing era of over the top stutters seems to have gone (although a lot of tracks still have little snippets of stutter - just not from start to finish).

However... for subtlety... there is a LOT of competition for SE2... just look at... Shaperbox, BYOME, Tantra, Gatekeeper, UVI Shade, The Drop, Zenith, Multipass (etc.) ... which marry LFO's and Envelopes and Followers (etc.) with Amplitude, Filters, Width, Panning, Reverb, Delays, Distortion (etc.)

So - going back to the original question... is SE2 worth upgrading to??? And does SE2 stand up against the competition. Well - I have lots of multi-FX VSTs including SE2 and I'd say... it's a nice to have, but DEFINIETLY NOT essential... and it's NOT better than the others. I actually find the others give me the results I want much more easily. With SE2 I discover happy accidents, not pre-intended results. SE2 can give you some unique FX sounds that the other's will struggle to replicate, but I don't think these particular sounds are amazing enough to pick SE2 over the others.
Check my Soundcloud:

diminished
Competition Winner

16 Dec 2020

I just wish there was a way to globally set the dry/wet amount of all "keys" inside a preset bank. I often find the stock patches to be too loud, which in return means a LOT of work if all you want to do is spice up a drum loop, because you have to adjust 2-4 knobs per key used.

I also found v2 to be more EDM centric, soundwise, while the patches of v1 can be used in a wider context. Most of the time I just want to have some stutter, which is just much easier to come by with the "breaks & cuts" presets from v1.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Billy+

16 Dec 2020

Just seen it on sale for £25 on PiB but really don't feel the need to update from V1, I've got all the expansions that are available from what I can see and really only use it for the odd little moments. I've read the hype and although on paper it sounds like it should be worth the upgrade price I'm just no sold on it.

I totally agree that the defaults are too loud and I actually think that they could fix it by using the velocity of the midi trigger to scale the volume but I can't see that happening.

Loque

18 Dec 2020

Are the fx banks compatible? Can the old banks be loaded into SE2?
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Dec 2020

Loque wrote:
18 Dec 2020
I read somewhere over the last few days someone saying that they “missed the SE1 presets”. So based in that I figure that you can’t. I may be wrong.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

18 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
18 Dec 2020
Loque wrote:
18 Dec 2020
I read somewhere over the last few days someone saying that they “missed the SE1 presets”. So based in that I figure that you can’t. I may be wrong.
Yea, i think so too. I got SE1 with a bunch of additional presets which makes it quite easy to quickly slpa in some random glitches and the SE2 factory bank is pretty limited and i am not in the mood to build acomplete patch, which can easily take a day or so... If the banks are really incompatible, that is another big fail from iZotope. I am wondering what ppl are working there or making the decisions? If this continious, i dont have much hope for iZotope...
Reason12, Win10

danc

19 Dec 2020

Loque wrote:
18 Dec 2020
MrFigg wrote:
18 Dec 2020

Yea, i think so too. I got SE1 with a bunch of additional presets which makes it quite easy to quickly slpa in some random glitches and the SE2 factory bank is pretty limited and i am not in the mood to build acomplete patch, which can easily take a day or so... If the banks are really incompatible, that is another big fail from iZotope. I am wondering what ppl are working there or making the decisions? If this continious, i dont have much hope for iZotope...
The answer is NO you can't load SE1 presets into SE2...

https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/ar ... Edit-2-FAQ

It says...

Can I import my Stutter Edit 1 presets in Stutter Edit 2?
At this time, Stutter Edit 1 presets will not work in Stutter Edit 2, we've added legacy banks to Stutter Edit 2 to allow you to use any favorites you had from version 1!
Check my Soundcloud:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2022

It’s a tenner just now on PB.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

strangers
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2022

Does anyone else have issues loading Stutter Edit 2 gesture banks in Reason (Reason 11 to be exact). I can expand Stutter Edit 2's gesture list to see the folder structure but can't open any of them. I randomly was able to load one of the drone patches and haven't had any luck loading any others since then. Doing the obvious and clicking the gesture names doesn't do anything which is very odd. I've tried clicking every single one of them and no luck. It's like I'm stuck in view only mode.

I can create a Stutter Edit 2 track and run with the initial gesture bank. Beyond that, nada. Anyone else run into this or have any ideas?

• Information