OK, 2nd impression. Hard to do a thorough comparison, the TAL starts making noise every minute, the Arturia shuts down after half an hour.
- Oscillators + filter on the TAL sound brighter
- To my ear, the different elements (oscillator, filter, effects...) come together better on the TAL. Easier for me to find sweet spots
- TAL can be calibrated to sound more like a Juno-60 with more saturation, drive and brighter oscillator
- TAL has split and dual. Arturia removed them in their latest version (where's the facepalm smily?)
- Arturia's polyphony can be brought up to 16. TAL looks like it's sticking to the hardware limitation of 8 voices
- Arturia has more FX with the ability to run them in parallel and serial. Some similarities with Pigment's FX section
- Arturia has a 32 step sequencer
- Arturia has response curves for velocity, aftertouch, mod wheel and keyboard
- Arturia has more modulation with two extra LFOs and a modulation mixer
- TAL only has two FX, but they're gorgeous. A delay and a Juno style chorus. Delay saturates quite a bit. It's beautiful, but no way of switching saturation off
- Arturia's presets are said to be really good (I hear people referring to it as "mix ready"). As I rarely use presets, I can't comment on that
- TAL interface looks more like a desktop version of a Jupiter, feels more direct to work with. No advanced slide-down interface with tabs like the Arturia
Overall, I prefer TAL's effort, the interface, the brighter sound... this, of course, is totally subjective. I couldn't argue against anybody preferring the Arturia over the more sparse TAL. The presets on the Arturia sound great, so if I struggle to connect with it, that's on me.