Question re: Native Instruments/Native Access/Kontakt and automation

Discuss VST stuff here!
Rothgarr

07 Dec 2020

Howdy. I just purchased my first synth by Native Instruments (called "Analog Dreams"). I didn't realize what a chore it would be to have to set up Native Access and use the VST through Kontakt Player.

Anyway, my question is related to how integrated these things are into Reason. For example, I can't seem to right click on any of the knobs in the VST and choose "Edit Automation". So I can't record things like Cutoff/Frequency changes, etc.

Is that just the way it is with VSTs through Native Access/Kontact Player? This is my first time using anything outside of what's built into Reason. If I can't record knob and slider changes then I don't think this is the right approach for me.

Thanks!

Loque

07 Dec 2020

Yey, that's how VSTs are, they are just not that integrated.

You have a button in the VST host window in the top area for automation.
Reason12, Win10

esselfortium

07 Dec 2020

Kontakt can be a bit fiddly with automation, but you can do it. Pop open the full large-window view (with the browser on the left and whatnot) and then look for the Automation tab above Kontakt's browser. Go to the Host Automation page. There should be a list there of which host automation parameters (listed by number) correspond to which parameters in the instrument you have loaded. If the parameter you want to automate isn't in that list, you can drag and drop the list entry onto the knob you want to automate.

After you've done that, try clicking Reason's VST automation button again and see if it works this time. I think that should work, but if it doesn't, you can manually add an automation lane for the relevant numbered parameter.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Rothgarr

08 Dec 2020

Loque wrote:
07 Dec 2020
Yey, that's how VSTs are, they are just not that integrated.

You have a button in the VST host window in the top area for automation.
esselfortium wrote:
07 Dec 2020
Kontakt can be a bit fiddly with automation, but you can do it. Pop open the full large-window view (with the browser on the left and whatnot) and then look for the Automation tab above Kontakt's browser. Go to the Host Automation page. There should be a list there of which host automation parameters (listed by number) correspond to which parameters in the instrument you have loaded. If the parameter you want to automate isn't in that list, you can drag and drop the list entry onto the knob you want to automate.

After you've done that, try clicking Reason's VST automation button again and see if it works this time. I think that should work, but if it doesn't, you can manually add an automation lane for the relevant numbered parameter.
Thanks so much! Took a few minutes, but I was able to get it working with the instructions above.

I hate having another window covering up Reason, but nice to have the ability to use all the VSTs available and also be able to automate.

Thanks again!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2020

Many VSTs that host plugins need an intermediate layer for automation. Basically your assign the plugin parameter to a macro and then automate the macro.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Rothgarr

08 Dec 2020

Boombastix wrote:
08 Dec 2020
Many VSTs that host plugins need an intermediate layer for automation. Basically your assign the plugin parameter to a macro and then automate the macro.
I gotta ask about your avatar... is that an Atari? I looks like the Atari 1040 ST that I first started recording MIDI songs on (I still have it in my basement)

• Information