VSTs not saving changes to settings

Discuss VST stuff here!
mdcmdcmdc

29 Nov 2020

Hi folks,

I have an issue for which I can't seem to find a workaround that only seems to happen with VSTs that load with a default preset. If I change the settings on the plugin, save and close the session, when I re-open the session all of the settings default back to the preset.

For example, I'm a fan of the Audio Damage Roughrider compressor. When you load the VST into the rack, it defaults to preset 1 - "nice start." There seems to be no way to change the settings on the plugin and have them stay there when I close and reopen the session short of saving a new preset (which is obviously impractical).

Conversely, the FXpansion DCAM Free compressor doesn't have presets and it loads to a generic default. I can change settings, save the session, close and reopen and everything is where it was.

Similarly, the VST version of Molot and the free Klanghelm plugins all seem to work as you might expect. The Puremagnetik things I've tried load presets and changes to settings don't seem to save as I close/reopen.

Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround aside from saving every single knob change I make to a preset?
Last edited by mdcmdcmdc on 29 Nov 2020, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

29 Nov 2020

This sounds like a different issue than having no default preset. All of your settings should be saved with the session regardless of the default preset. I haven't seen this before (aside from demo plugins that purposefully prevent you from saving patches and saving settings within a session). You might want to report it to Audio Damage / Reason Studios.

deeplink
Competition Winner

29 Nov 2020

Can't you save the vst preset - using the reason VST device. And then favourite that preset for easy loading to your rack?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

joeyluck

29 Nov 2020

deeplink wrote:
29 Nov 2020
Can't you save the vst preset - using the reason VST device. And then favourite that preset for easy loading to your rack?
The problem here sounds different. The adjusted settings aren't being saved with the Reason project. So when a saved project is opened, the settings for the plugin revert to the default preset. As I mentioned, the only time I've sen that was with some demo versions of plugins. So it could be a bug if it's not that.

mdcmdcmdc

29 Nov 2020

It's definitely a weird one that only seems to be affecting certain plugins—puremagnetik's Driftmaker and audio Damage's Rough Rider 3 are the ones with which I've noticed it.

With rough rider specifically, it will recognize that I've saved to a different preset, but any changes made to that preset will not be saved. So when you load the VST into the rack it deafults to preset 1. I can change to preset 5 or whatever, save the session, and then quit and it will load preset 5. But any adjustments I've made to preset 5 will NOT be saved. So if I adjust the threshold etc, it reverts back to the preset value.

I haven't honestly messed around with enough VSTs to know if this affects any/all VSTs that autoload presets when you place them in the rack or if it's just a coincidence with these two that I've noticed displaying the behavior.

Rough Rider is a really useful compressor, so it'd be great to be able to use it!

mdcmdcmdc

29 Nov 2020

Also, I've edited the thread title to better reflect the issue - apologies!

mdcmdcmdc

30 Nov 2020

...and weirdly, this doesn't seem to affect RoughRider2, only the newer version. Huh... I'll drop a line to Audio Damage and see if they have any insight, though my understanding is that they're no fans of the reason platform.

• Information