Best sampler for slicing long wav file and assigning to notes

Discuss VST stuff here!
tobypearce

25 Nov 2020

Hiya,

Almost a signature move for me is vocal chops, where I chop up an accappella into small parts and play them percussively.

My most reliable way to do this is to chop them up in advance via external wav editor, then load them into on of Reason's drum samplers.

It works well, but I'd also like to be able to extract slices from a loop on the fly and play that. I'm looking for a sampler to help me do that. It would need:
*ability to see whole wave file
*ability to scrub through and audition different start points before assigning different parts of the same wave file to different notes.
*decent control over ADSR to avoid skips etc
* abilty to easily, preferably visually zone in an interesting part of the wave file to find the right sound. Grain does this superbly, but I don't think you can then assign different sections of the wave to different notes.
*Not a lot of mouse clicking and menu diving (I have Geist 2 and it seems a real pain to do this in there.)
*Preferably a pretty lightweight sampler - low on CPU and not a lot of other bells and whistles.

I'd be interested to know what people use for this (or would use for this if they employed this technique). I have a feeling I'm doing it the dinosaur way!
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Billy+

25 Nov 2020

tobypearce wrote:
25 Nov 2020
Hiya,

Almost a signature move for me is vocal chops, where I chop up an accappella into small parts and play them percussively.

My most reliable way to do this is to chop them up in advance via external wav editor, then load them into on of Reason's drum samplers.

It works well, but I'd also like to be able to extract slices from a loop on the fly and play that. I'm looking for a sampler to help me do that. It would need:
*ability to see whole wave file
*ability to scrub through and audition different start points before assigning different parts of the same wave file to different notes.
*decent control over ADSR to avoid skips etc
* abilty to easily, preferably visually zone in an interesting part of the wave file to find the right sound. Grain does this superbly, but I don't think you can then assign different sections of the wave to different notes.
*Not a lot of mouse clicking and menu diving (I have Geist 2 and it seems a real pain to do this in there.)
*Preferably a pretty lightweight sampler - low on CPU and not a lot of other bells and whistles.

I'd be interested to know what people use for this (or would use for this if they employed this technique). I have a feeling I'm doing it the dinosaur way!

I've been Rex'ing straight in Reason.

EdGrip

25 Nov 2020

Man, you need Ableton and a Push.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2020

Serato sample
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

tobypearce

26 Nov 2020

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Bliss Sampler by Disco DSP is looking very promising indeed!
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

zoidkirb

26 Nov 2020

tobypearce wrote:
26 Nov 2020

That looks dope. Never heard of it before but I'll be keeping an eye on it from now.

EdGrip

26 Nov 2020

Serato Sampler is £40 at the moment and has a scrubbing playhead on an overview of the whole file at the top of the window, with a needle-dropping workflow in mind.

Renoise Redux (currently £50 ish) looks deep as the oceans, but with a learning curve to match. Per-note, per-sample effects, inter-effect modulation, panning, pitch mod... Can't believe I didn't know about it! Might have to play with the demo one day.

reusenoise

26 Nov 2020

zoidkirb wrote:
26 Nov 2020
tobypearce wrote:
26 Nov 2020

That looks dope. Never heard of it before but I'll be keeping an eye on it from now.
I'v got Disco DSP Bliss,it's strenght is in auto sampling stuff,for other task better looking to others sampers

pongasoft
RE Developer

26 Nov 2020

You can give a look at SAM-SPL 64 https://pongasoft.com/vst/SAM-SPL64.html

It is entirely free. It doesn't let you specifically set start/end points for every slice, but it lets you cut your sample in a number of slices directly assigned to the keyboard and is click free (no matter when you start/stop playing slices).

In some instances the "somewhat" randomness of slicing your sample in a fixed number of slices (ex: 23.4), can give great results

Yan

Jackjackdaw

26 Nov 2020

MPC software offer a free version called MPC beats I think. Very nice for chopping. Let's you overlap chops. If you do try it out , a tip: MPC mapping is some weird archaic general midi thing. If you want your programs to map to a keyboard there is an option in the setup menu. I think you have to set it each time you start a new program.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

26 Nov 2020

Big Fish Monument is another freebie.

But only Serato Sample does exactly what op asked for, though the others mentioned can be quite useful with additional features.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information