Hex Drum - Simmons SDS Emu - $29 Intro

Discuss VST stuff here!
hurricane
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2020

I don't think there's another drum machine that gives you that in your face and instant 80s vibe like a Simmons. Hex Drum, a new virtual instrument developed by Oblivion Soundlab (Makers of the awesome OSL Chorus and Side Effects), brings you that sound in an elegantly simple plugin.

FEATURES

-- 7 drum voices
-- Stereo or Multi-channel output
-- 3 analog inspired oscillator shapes
-- Tone, noise, click, LFO and output modules
-- MIDI mapping with MIDI learn
-- Assignable voice labels
-- Copy & paste drum voices
-- Choke groups
-- Preset system
-- 40 drum kits presets
-- All parameters can be automated from the host DAW

I was one of the beta testers, been using Hex Drum for a while now, and I can't even describe how useful it is for Synthwave and retro-inspired tracks. In my opinion, adding some Simmons drums to your tracks gives them an immediate 80s vibe, and Hex Drum is laid out in a way that makes it quick and easy to do so. Check out how it sounds:

But it's not only for Synthwave. Hex Drum contains lots of 'modern' presets, and because these aren't samples, you have the capability to create any kind of sound you want.

So give it a try: https://oblivionsoundlab.com/product/hex-drum/

3.3MB download size! Copy protection is serial based. Dongle-free!

Unfortunately, you can't use this in Reason without a wrapper. And guess what we're going to be seeing more and more VST3-only plugins. :cool:

DAWS that support VST3/AU:
Cubase
Live
Reaper
Studio One
Logic
Bitwig
FL Studio

REQUIREMENTS

Windows 8–10
Plugin formats: 64-bit VST3

OS X 10.11–macOS 10.15
Plugin formats: 64-bit VST3/AU
Last edited by hurricane on 08 Nov 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2020

You reckon it’s better than the Aly James one?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

hurricane
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2020

So, as you know I also have Aly James' VSDS-X, and while I was beta-testing Hex Drum, I loaded both on different tracks to compare them, and as I was losing myself in a track I couldn't tell which instrument I was triggering. I 'm not sure if I can rate these in a better vs best type of way. When it comes to emulations of vintage gear, I get all geeked out when the developer goes all out with insane attention to authentic detail, and so SDSV wets my panties when I see :

The VSDSX VST, which stands for Virtual Simmons Drum System Extended, provides the closest experience to the real thing, for each voice or as it was called (module) it models accurately the analog character of the sound generation, internal circuitry tuning, trigger sensitivity and all the details you can find inside the dedicated manual. for its hybrid voices (HIHAT, CYMBAL, PROM & CLAP are analog but also EPROM based) clocks and counters that read EPROM memory inside a variable sample rate system is perfectly emulated. DAC decodes and output EPROMS data in real-time etc.
It models the SSM2044 filters with fine tuning control over lots of internal circuitry resistors. CV, trigger shapes, and VCA response can also be tuned to produce a wide range of sounds and punch/response, this also emulates how the module will react if triggered with pads or sequencer...

That's freakin' cool.

Hex Drum, while having the Simmons sound, is similar to Kong's physical modeling capabilities, only WAAAAAAY better sounding. And with Hex Drum's deep editing controls you can get that vintage sound, or a totally different sound. Hex Drum gets bonus points because you can also play each part melodically across midi channels 2-8. So if you want to 'play' an 808-style bass drum, Hex Drum can map it across the keyboard.

Aly James' SDSV sounds great, and I like it a lot. Hex Drum sounds great, and I'm going to be using it alongside VSDS-X.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

raymondh

08 Nov 2020

The only thing better than Simmons SDS drums is when they are combined with Jupiter-8 synths :D

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2020

hurricane wrote:
08 Nov 2020
So, as you know I also have Aly James' VSDS-X, and while I was beta-testing Hex Drum, I loaded both on different tracks to compare them, and as I was losing myself in a track I couldn't tell which instrument I was triggering. I 'm not sure if I can rate these in a better vs best type of way. When it comes to emulations of vintage gear, I get all geeked out when the developer goes all out with insane attention to authentic detail, and so SDSV wets my panties when I see :

The VSDSX VST, which stands for Virtual Simmons Drum System Extended, provides the closest experience to the real thing, for each voice or as it was called (module) it models accurately the analog character of the sound generation, internal circuitry tuning, trigger sensitivity and all the details you can find inside the dedicated manual. for its hybrid voices (HIHAT, CYMBAL, PROM & CLAP are analog but also EPROM based) clocks and counters that read EPROM memory inside a variable sample rate system is perfectly emulated. DAC decodes and output EPROMS data in real-time etc.
It models the SSM2044 filters with fine tuning control over lots of internal circuitry resistors. CV, trigger shapes, and VCA response can also be tuned to produce a wide range of sounds and punch/response, this also emulates how the module will react if triggered with pads or sequencer...

That's freakin' cool.

Hex Drum, while having the Simmons sound, is similar to Kong's physical modeling capabilities, only WAAAAAAY better sounding. And with Hex Drum's deep editing controls you can get that vintage sound, or a totally different sound. Hex Drum gets bonus points because you can also play each part melodically across midi channels 2-8. So if you want to 'play' an 808-style bass drum, Hex Drum can map it across the keyboard.

Aly James' SDSV sounds great, and I like it a lot. Hex Drum sounds great, and I'm going to be using it alongside VSDS-X.
Thanks for that man.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information