Any Antares Mic Mod users here?

Discuss VST stuff here!
joeyluck

04 Sep 2020

So I haven't been able to try these previously since they used to required a USB iLok key and are not available as VST2. There is no longer a requirement for USB iLok, but since Reason doesn't support VST3, I'm testing them with the AU versions in Logic.

I'm trying Mic Mod right now, but I'm not sure what I should be hearing and the instructions aren't very clear...

I am using a Shure Beta 57A and I have that selected as the Source Mic. However, even with the Proximity setting set to 'off' and the Tube Saturation set to 0, it is coloring the sound—making it sound boomy before I even choose a Modeled Mic or dial in any settings.

My understanding is that the Source Mic selection should only serve to help calculate the difference for the emulation of the Modeled Mic. But on its own, it shouldn't be coloring the sound, should it? I would think it would sound the same dry. But when I bypass Mic Mod altogether, there is a very clear difference.

And when I dial back the input gain, that makes it quieter, but doesn't change the coloration I'm hearing. I'm not sure why the choice in Source Mic alone would color the sound.

screenshot.png
screenshot.png (291.25 KiB) Viewed 328 times

Any ideas? Am I misunderstanding something with this plugin?

I thought my question would be pretty straight forward, but Antares wants me to make a video so they can see what I'm talking about—I'll have to try that tomorrow. So I'm seeing if anybody else here uses the plugin that might be able to answer the question in the meantime. Thanks!

• Information