Anybody used Stagecraft’s Universal Plugin?

Discuss VST stuff here!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2020

This is on sale just now. Says it can load any VST, AU or VST 3 plugin in any host. Anybody used it in Reason? Can it also load 32bit VSTs?
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... ersal-Plug
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

02 Sep 2020

Just tried this. It will load VST3 plugins into a clever wrapper in Reason. However, SC Uniplug doesn't have the extra input channels to allow for sidechaining VST3 plugins.

Trying out Blue Cat Patchworks and DDMF Metaplugin to see if they allow (as far as we've read, it seems more likely)

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

02 Sep 2020

Metaplug by DDMF definitely seems like the right way - they supply 5 version of the plugin so you get a synth + 4x effect versions which looks pretty cool. Will be testing VST3 sidechaining.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2020

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
02 Sep 2020
Metaplug by DDMF definitely seems like the right way - they supply 5 version of the plugin so you get a synth + 4x effect versions which looks pretty cool. Will be testing VST3 sidechaining.

Looks pretty complicated from the pictures I checked out. I won’t be using any side chaining. Would you say Universal Plugin is worth a tenner just to load VST3s? Did you try out any 32bit Plugins in the wrapper? Can’t find anything about that.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

02 Sep 2020

DDMF does allow 32bit bridging, it's Mac or Windows, allows sidechaining and can get quite deep if you wanted to. No need for a Combinator to get this one playing

Universal Plugin looks fine for loading VST3 synths, just tried it with Z3tav2 no problem. Had to put in a Combinator though and turn on ACCEPT NOTES to play a synth though.

The only gripe with both hosting plugins is when you load up the GUI (another floating window) and adjust while playing, the GUI 'takes' ownership of the sequencer and you can't play notes and edit at same time. Universal Plugin does have a 6 knob 'quick control' config in the intermediate window, so you can use for some controls there, you may be able to do MIDI learn or some other funky editing to get things working.

Blue Cat Patchwork will be next to try.

If you have a PB account, you can download a demo of Universal to have a dabble with it. It does work but you have to adapt a bit

hurricane
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2020

Been using Kushview Element forever and it's great. I use it mainly to load my AUs in Reason, but you can do so much more:

https://kushview.net/element/

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2020

Thanks. I’ll give all of those a look over :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

miscend

02 Sep 2020

I just tried the demo it only shows up as effect on my computer. There is no instrument version.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2020

Downloaded the trial version, had to laugh that Reason gave a Hardware Exception when the Universal Plugin was scanning it's own plugin :D :D
I noticed that the plugin manager it uses is the same as Nektarines (and I'm sure I have seen it somewhere else as well).
Did try VST 32 bit, no go..
Has crashed a number of times leaving me with less and less devices that it had already scanned for to use..

Elements is the best so far for me (been using it while), I can load up VST's that have midi out and input that into anther VST inside of elements etc. and of course take midi in from Reason.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
03 Sep 2020
Downloaded the trial version, had to laugh that Reason gave a Hardware Exception when the Universal Plugin was scanning it's own plugin :D :D
I noticed that the plugin manager it uses is the same as Nektarines (and I'm sure I have seen it somewhere else as well).
Did try VST 32 bit, no go..
Has crashed a number of times leaving me with less and less devices that it had already scanned for to use..

Elements is the best so far for me (been using it while), I can load up VST's that have midi out and input that into anther VST inside of elements etc. and of course take midi in from Reason.
I think I may give Nektarine a try first seeing as I have access to it. :). That doesn’t do 32bit either does it?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2020

Just loaded Surge VST3 into Nektarine...runs like a charm on Windows10 :). Now I need to read the manual for Nektarine as I've been fumbling about blindly the last 10 minutes.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
03 Sep 2020
Just loaded Surge VST3 into Nektarine...runs like a charm on Windows10 :). Now I need to read the manual for Nektarine as I've been fumbling about blindly the last 10 minutes.
This may help.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
03 Sep 2020
MrFigg wrote:
03 Sep 2020
This may help.

Thanks Carly. Did you see my other question about using effects plugins in audio tracks using Nektarine? Maybe that’s in the video too?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
03 Sep 2020

Thanks Carly. Did you see my other question about using effects plugins in audio tracks using Nektarine? Maybe that’s in the video too?
I did not however Nekterine has no audio in so you won't be able to use it that way. For ages you could not load effects into Nektarine and they are only loaded as sends for instruments loaded into Nektarine.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
03 Sep 2020
MrFigg wrote:
03 Sep 2020

I did not however Nekterine has no audio in so you won't be able to use it that way. For ages you could not load effects into Nektarine and they are only loaded as sends for instruments loaded into Nektarine.
Aaaa. Thanks...you’ve just saved me a whole load of time hahaha. I’d probably have sat here for the best part of the morning trying to work out why I couldn’t get it to work. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information