Using .sfz and .sf2 files in samplers.

Discuss VST stuff here!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2020

I recently got a load of .sfz and .sf2 sound font files along with .wav counterparts. I’m using TAL sampler...when I drag in the .wav file it maps across the keyboard (playing at different speeds depending on how far up or down I go from
Middle C). When I drag in one of the sound font files however it maps only to middle C. I thought that the thing with sound fonts was that they mapped the whole range of the keyboard and adjusted to a uniform speed. Could someone maybe help me understand what’s going on? Thanks :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

1reasonable

01 Sep 2020

I'm not familiar with the TAL sampler, but I presume that you are aware that you can just browse a SF2 Soundfont collection file (add them to your Refills folder) within Reason and load up an individual preset which will automatically load into an NN-XT device, and will give you a complete keyboard of notes (some sound fonts will sometimes have keyboard octave limits, eg bass) to play with?

If you're having trouble with the TAL for SF2 files, then this would be a solution for you.
…………………………………………………………………

:reason: 11.3.6 ,  iMac Intel Core i5 (late 2012) OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2020

1reasonable wrote:
01 Sep 2020
I'm not familiar with the TAL sampler, but I presume that you are aware that you can just browse a SF2 Soundfont collection file (add them to your Refills folder) within Reason and load up an individual preset which will automatically load into an NN-XT device, and will give you a complete keyboard of notes (some sound fonts will sometimes have keyboard octave limits, eg bass) to play with?

If you're having trouble with the TAL for SF2 files, then this would be a solution for you.
I didn’t know that. Thanks. Need to try that out. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Despondo
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
01 Sep 2020
I didn’t know that. Thanks. Need to try that out. :)
Been doing this for years. Converted all of my Ensoniq ASR-10 samples and patches over to SF2 format with Chicken-Systems Translator and wrapped them up in a Refill. Works great!

• Information