IK Multimedia VI Group Buy

Discuss VST stuff here!
lrey

21 Aug 2020

Haven't seen it posted on here, but IK Multimedia is having another group buy which ends Aug 31st. They've got some pretty good stuff.

Link:
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/vigb/

Boombastix
Competition Winner

22 Aug 2020

I like many of their products (MTM speakers, VST FX, etc), but never liked the synth rompler Syntronik instruments that I got (for free). Sound wasn't very inspiring and low tweakability. But SampleTank is different than that, acoustic instruments etc. (and SampleTank loads Syntronik packs) SampleTank's synth expansions are perhaps to compare to RS Layers. But you can layer with any sound library you own (even acoustic piano and orchestra), up to 8 layers, and use the included FX (huge amount of quality FX, but no modulation matrix for internal LFO, but modulation via 8x8 macros, though not user friendly to set up). That makes it closer to a Kontakt layering machine, but with a nicer looking UI, however still difficult to navigate.

I'm honestly a SampleTank noob. Though I saw IK created a new installer so you do not have to run multiple installers for the larger libraries. It sounded that was a pain in the past.

I suggest you look closely at the feature sets before deciding, try the free version. The work-flow is not intuitive. Cost starts to add up quickly (unless you get 5 for 1), but I'm guessing it will be very CPU efficient for single sounds, but for layered sounds each with several FX the CPU starts to add up quickly. I does sound nice once you tweaked your patch, but it takes more time than it should due to me fumbling around with the navigation and sound auditioning etc.

Phrase mode and the midi phrases can probably be quite useful (you have to buy certain packs to get midi). Maybe like an old Kronus?

You can import you own multi sample sets and make use of the extensive FX section. The choruses are fabulous for synth pads and the filters sounds very authentic, but envelopes and modulation leaves me missing that little something.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2020

Just saw it has been extended until end of Sept. My guess is it will get to "buy 1 get 4 free" (5 total).

It is kinda crazy you get 70 free built in FX in SampleTank and have the ability to add your own sample sets (1 velocity layer only I believe), then layer it up like a Combinator, but somehow I am not that attracted to it's work flow, at least not yet. I do have SampleTank SE 3, but with everything I got in VST synths etc, I do not see that much value to add more sampled synths (Syntronik) even if they drop to basically 10 bucks each.

client6

02 Sep 2020

Do any of you know if the iLoud Micros are an eligible purchase for the promotion or is it just the few hardware options shown in the page?

Boombastix
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2020

client6 wrote:
02 Sep 2020
Do any of you know if the iLoud Micros are an eligible purchase for the promotion or is it just the few hardware options shown in the page?
Has to be on the page...

lrey

03 Sep 2020

Oooo... Thanks for the head-up! I think I'm gonna get some of those expansions.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2020

lrey wrote:
03 Sep 2020
Oooo... Thanks for the head-up! I think I'm gonna get some of those expansions.
I just came to realize that the $39 and $49 Synth expansions are all SampleTank 3 versions. This means you do not have the same editing capabilities as for the SampleTank 4 instruments, but ST 4 instruments are only available in the large bundles. Also worth to know, SE 4 bundles actually contain a lot of ST 3 patches. This was not clearly shown or discussed, but there is a long list of what SE 4 contains and all the SE 3 stuff is listed there as such (Compare editions). But I had to figure out the difference myself. SE 3 has a filter and two simple LFO, SE 4 instruments have a mod matrix, more LFOs etc.

All SampleTank stuff runs inside ST 4 with access to the arpeggio, strummer, and phrase player (plays midi files - key triggered), the FX are always there too, and it is pretty easy to set up automation for a parameter, this includes all the FX knobs too, so that is impressive. Each Parameter that is assigned to automation is then accessible from the Reason Combinator, so you CAN modulate pretty much everything (from Reason/CV) of the ST 3 instruments once you assign the Parameter to automation. The strummer is pretty capable actually. The built in mixer is nice too, easy to automate the send knobs, for those reverb/delay throws, or whatever. There are 4 FX buses and 16 layers, so the mixer is big enough, just gotta learn how to scroll L-->R. :lol:
The number of Parameter available for automation is > 1000, so you won't run out.

There is plenty of time to download the free ST 4 CS and try out the content and what you can do to sound design yourself.

lrey

25 Sep 2020

Just a heads-up... they reached the next free tier level. So, now you can get 4 free VIs for the price of one.

I already jumped on this... gonna purchase again. Very usable VIs for my production. Not to mention, their new product manager makes the whole installation process a breeze.

Loque

25 Sep 2020

lrey wrote:
25 Sep 2020
Just a heads-up... they reached the next free tier level. So, now you can get 4 free VIs for the price of one.

I already jumped on this... gonna purchase again. Very usable VIs for my production. Not to mention, their new product manager makes the whole installation process a breeze.
While the new download manager looks way better than the sh!t before, i did not forget, that they want me to pay again for my sounds after 180 if i lose them. What a big bunch of...hooooly crap...no, no, no IK Multimedia for me ever.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2020

Loque wrote:
25 Sep 2020
lrey wrote:
25 Sep 2020

While the new download manager looks way better than the sh!t before, i did not forget, that they want me to pay again for my sounds after 180 if i lose them. What a big bunch of...hooooly crap...no, no, no IK Multimedia for me ever.
Well said!!! IK installers suck.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

lrey

25 Sep 2020

In the past, I really resented the whole installation process for IK software. I mean, I really hated it. But, I gave them a chance to redeem themselves. I feel that they have with the new product manager.

As for the 180 days for your sounds being available, I have to admit that is still a bummer. Simple solution... Backup to your usb drive or BD-R.

As for this deal, I feel that these VIs complement my Arturia Collection and Komplete Library nicely. Came out to 5 VIs for $10/each. Not a bad deal if you need some inspiring sounds for dirt cheap. Literally, a no-brainer.

But, to each their own :lol:

client6

27 Sep 2020

I had a few JamPoints so I went ahead and did the group buy even though the iLouds weren't on offering.

I paid for the SampleTank 4 and then got with the following in the buy:

Miroslav Philharmonik 2
Hammond B-3X
MODO DRUM
Alternate Keys (expansion for ST4)

All that for under $200. So far just playing around with the MODO DRUM is great--it sounds awesome and has a more modern workflow than their older stuff. I can't wait until all the sounds for ST4 download, the Alternate Keys expansion is really interesting.

Great deal for people who aren't already super bloated with instruments.

arqui

28 Sep 2020

It's not for me, amplitube is out of all this ...
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

client6

28 Sep 2020

Yeah it is a bummer it is just instruments and not amps/effects—I wanted to pick up the delay set initially.

I think you can get the Amplitube MAX for $99 crossgrade if you’ve purchased anything over $99 before—at least it is showing up under my account at that price.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

01 Oct 2020

I actually jumped in for the sound expansion packs (last minute :lol: ). I realized there are ST4 expansions, but it is not stated very clearly. All the Syntronic packs are ST3, so you do not have the same editing capability, some basic editing yes, but ST4 is on another level.
ST4 for sample sound design is like Reason NN-XT+Combinator on steroids. And many great sounds, so $7 for each expansion is a good deal to me.
In ST4 you get 32 mod slots, 6 LFO's, 4 mod env, many great filters, then 70 FX :shock: , a 16-ch mixer, with 4 FX buses + master FX. I tried the FX buses for parallel compression and parallel distortion - perfect!

The ST3 sounds can be used for layering but not so much for advanced sound design (Env, mod mtrx, LFOs are limited), but you can still put on any of the 70 FXs. (Uni-vibe, BBD chorus, Stutter, bit crush, EQs, filters, Comp, Dist, Amps, midi controlled FM, phaser, flanger, auto-pan, Leslie, Wha, yada yada...)

After having spent a few hours playing around, you can design some really great sounds here, and not too time consuming (compared to Kontakt or NN-XT+Combinator). Sure the learning curve is higher than 0%, but what isn't?

I haven't gotten to the strummer, phrase player, and arpeggiator yet so not sure what can be done with those, but looks like you get 200+ (?) chords that you can trigger with a single key and stuff like that. Each note has 15 extension, each in 3 inversion, so 540 chords I guess...

The interface is a bit quirky and could easily use 2 dozen improvements, but still 1000% easier to work with compared to an old complex Combinator you did a year ago. ST4 can do a lot, but since the layout is the same it won't be too hard to tweak an old patch.
Installation: Download a pack - unzip - click install - done - easy (yes, the sound expansions are easy to install). Not a one click install 5 packs while you make some coffee, but still not a problem IMO.

Compared to the Kontakt factory library - I'm wondering if not ST4 has the upper hand here, cuz I am NOT gonna try to make layered patches in Kontakt, I looked at it but the UI is horrible. Love NI's Komplete Kontrol, but it's not able to layer stuff or uses FX busses. ST4 sounds are good too and a nice complement to CPU hungry VSTs. The NI Player series and the older NI sample libs will not let you do any serious editing.

I hope IK will work on the UI and they should also continue to update with more midi phrases and patches and ST4 packs. I would pay for a module that let's me load a VST2/3 in the mixer (the mixer is similar to Akai VIP), now that would be crazy if they did!
Sure they'll say, "but then you get all those 70 FX for free", OK, limit the VST slot to FX from Amplitube, TR5, and the new Mix Rack, then, so the user who paid for those can still get some IK FX behind the VST. Problem solved.

• Information