Eventide ShimmerVerb

Discuss VST stuff here!
tallguy

04 Aug 2020

Eventide just released ShimmerVerb. As is obvious from the name, it's a shimmer reverb. Can't say how it compares to other shimmer reverbs out there, but having lots of fun with the trial version.

Price is $39 until September. After that, it'll be full price.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Aug 2020

tallguy wrote: ↑
04 Aug 2020
Eventide just released ShimmerVerb. As is obvious from the name, it's a shimmer reverb. Can't say how it compares to other shimmer reverbs out there, but having lots of fun with the trial version.

Animus is awesome. The Valhalla one is nice. The shimmer on the Kuassa reverb is lush.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

hurricane
Competition Winner

04 Aug 2020

Am I the only one who's bothered by Eventide using the same GUI over and over again? All of their most recent plugins look the same except for a color change here and there. I don't like it - it's boring and I'll pass.

guiblahs.gif
guiblahs.gif (293.79 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Loque

04 Aug 2020

hurricane wrote: ↑
04 Aug 2020
Am I the only one who's bothered by Eventide using the same GUI over and over again? All of their most recent plugins look the same except for a color change here and there. I don't like it - it's boring and I'll pass.

guiblahs.gif
Probably at least a view devices could be integrated into one. But this way you can squeeeeeze mo money out of some customers...
Reason12, Win10

tallguy

04 Aug 2020

hurricane wrote: ↑
04 Aug 2020
I agree. I did think it would be nice if they adopted the primary colours system Boss uses for its famous stomp boxes.

tallguy

04 Aug 2020

Loque wrote: ↑
04 Aug 2020

Probably at least a view devices could be integrated into one. But this way you can squeeeeeze mo money out of some customers...
They have been combined. As a stomp box that costs $499 and contains 12 algorithms like Blackhole and Mangledverb. If you buy those same algorithms as plugins, they set you back anything from $99 for Mangledverb to $199 for Blackhole. You don't need to be a math genius to see the plugins are way overpriced when you buy them full price

tallguy

04 Aug 2020

it also explains why all those plugins look the same. They're all derived from the same stomp box

Boombastix
Competition Winner

04 Aug 2020

Even at $39 it feels like a money grab when they single out one algorithm at the time like that, not buying into that tactic...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

miscend

04 Aug 2020

I will wait for the bundle.

tallguy

05 Aug 2020

Boombastix wrote: ↑
04 Aug 2020
Even at $39 it feels like a money grab when they single out one algorithm at the time like that, not buying into that tactic...
Doesn't Valhalla do the same thing though? Their Shimmer reverb costs $50 and it's just one single algorithm.

We all know VST pricing is absurd, but looking around at other manufacturer, $39 for a shimmer reverb is in keeping with what others ask.
Last edited by tallguy on 05 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.

ljekio

05 Aug 2020

MrFigg wrote: ↑
04 Aug 2020
04 Aug 2020

Animus is awesome. The Valhalla one is nice. The shimmer on the Kuassa reverb is lush.
You were comparing it with reason's shimmers?
Two or three combinator been uploaded some here.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2020

ljekio wrote: ↑
05 Aug 2020
04 Aug 2020

Yeah, well Animus and Kuassa Reverb are REs. The Valhalla one is VST. I think Selig did a shimmer combi at some point but can't remember what devices he used.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

ljekio

05 Aug 2020

05 Aug 2020
05 Aug 2020

Yeah, well Animus and Kuassa Reverb are REs. The Valhalla one is VST. I think Selig did a shimmer combi at some point but can't remember what devices he used.
He used Neutron particle emitter.
And another shimmer was based on Polar.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2020

05 Aug 2020
05 Aug 2020

He used Neutron particle emitter.
And another shimmer was based on Polar.
Yep. That’s the one.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Boombastix
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2020

05 Aug 2020
Boombastix wrote: ↑
04 Aug 2020
Doesn't Valhalla do the same thing though? Their Shimmer reverb costs $50 and it's just one single algorithm.

We all know VST pricing is absurd, but looking around at other manufacturer, $39 for a shimmer reverb is in keeping with what others ask.
Well, I didn't buy he Valhalla one either (tried it actually), though I think he put in 3 reverb algo's and a few pitch algo's inside. The funny thing is Eventide HW box is 12 algo's, so in SW that would be, what? 12x $39 = 439? Kinda like the HW price... Wholesale for HW is $250 maybe, cost for HW $50 maybe, HW corp overheads, and yada yada, so <10 bucks per algo. Think they could have added some more in a VST... Prices usually go down when you re-use old code in a market too, so more is added, new stuff, then sell at a better perceived value (higher) or just lower the price for the old stuff, like a Waves bundle where each is around $3 or something when you got the special + coupon hoopla price. :lol:

But hey, if you like one of them, and if you miss that FX, sure $39 can be OK. But I don't want to buy into their tactical roll out of one algo at the time. Of course I have enough basic FX plugins, so will probably only buy something if I can save time in the future.

tallguy

06 Aug 2020

So I did a quick and unscientific comparison between Valhalla Shimmer, Eventide ShimmerVerb and Animus. First thing I can say is that they don't sound the same, we're not talking huge differences, but enough to be noticeable. Second thing is that they're not all equally easy to use.
  • Animus: You need to read the manual. Thoroughly. Potentially very CPU hungry. Lots of modulation possibilities. Not an instant gratification machine. It's a bit of an outlier in that its aims are very different from the two others. Great for doing weird granular style effects. If you're just after a big shimmer, this is not it
  • Valhalla Shimmer: Easy to use. Butter smooth and super massive. Wraps the sound in a warm ambient blanket. There's a reason this is the first one everybody mentions. It clearly sets the benchmark.
  • Eventide ShimmerVerb: A 5 minute speed read of the manual and I was up and running (really only one or two functions I was unclear about). Leans towards a darker and grittier sound (tuned for guitars?). Very musical. The pitch shift creates pleasing slide effects I don't notice in the others.
Last edited by tallguy on 06 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.

tallguy

06 Aug 2020

Double Post

Boombastix
Competition Winner

06 Aug 2020

06 Aug 2020
So I did a quick and unscientific comparison between Valhalla Shimmer, Eventide ShimmerVerb and Animus. First thing I can say is that they don't sound the same, we're not talking huge differences, but enough to be noticeable. Second thing is that they're not all equally easy to use.
  • Animus: You need to read the manual. Thoroughly. Potentially very CPU hungry. Lots of modulation possibilities. Not an instant gratification machine. It's a bit of an outlier in that its aims are very different from the two others. Great for doing weird granular style effects. If you're just after a big shimmer, this is not it
  • Valhalla Shimmer: Easy to use. Butter smooth and super massive. Wraps the sound in a warm ambient blanket. There's a reason this is the first one everybody mentions. It clearly sets the benchmark.
  • Eventide ShimmerVerb: A 5 minute speed read of the manual and I was up and running (really only one or two functions I was unclear about). Leans towards a darker and grittier sound (tuned for guitars?). Very musical. The pitch shift creates pleasing slide effects I don't notice in the others.
You might wanna look at NI Replika XT, you get Replika for free in a free NI bundle and can then upgrade to XT for $49, or $25 if you hold out for a 50% off sale.
It has a pitch with feedback and delay diffusion, + it has sooo much more, best delay out there, it can do big reverbs and shimmer, etc.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Aug 2020

Just found this. Build your own using Polar, The Echo and any reverb. Even has a nice gated effect added.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Aug 2020

πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

dvdrtldg

06 Aug 2020

06 Aug 2020
Just found this. Build your own using Polar, The Echo and any reverb. Even has a nice gated effect added.
Came up with a variation on this a while ago which I really like

Set Polar shifter 1 at an octave below (rather than an octave above, as in the video). Engage shifter 2 and keep at default position, reduce volume to around -12dB

For L and R reverbs, use Synapse DR-1 with a tail of about 4.6 seconds, Lo Cut at about 40 Hz and no Hi Cut (i.e. set all the way to the right)

Try it on something plucky and mellow, like Re-Tron's vibes. Send both channels (original and parallel) to a bus and compress slightly. NICE

• Information