Soundtoys Echoboy anyone?

Discuss VST stuff here!
EdGrip

03 Aug 2020

Don't get me wrong, I love making delay send feedback loops with stuff in them! But it's nice to have effects that already do interesting things, or have distinct characters, without having to do any more than switch modes or try presets. I come from a guitar background so I'm used to delay (and reverb) pedals having different flavours, and I like to have that in software. Put this channel through *this* delay pedal, put the next channel through *this other* delay pedal, rather than just sending a bit of everything to The Delay Return. Having characterful delay effects is one way to do that, making your own wonky feedback loops is the other way. :) Or both at the same time! Some bitcrusher in the Echoboy feedback loop...

I don't use ducking that much, but both Valhalla Delay and U-He's Carbon Copy have more complex things going on behind their single ducking knob - both the feedback loop and the output is affected. I'm not sure how it differs from just putting a sidechained compressor after the delay.

Loque

03 Aug 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Aug 2020
Loque wrote:
03 Aug 2020

I thought that the other "things" are much easier, than to add a ducking by your own. You need at least split the signal, before it gets into the fx and use the dry as a sidechain for your compressor. On the other hand, you can go a step ahead and use the original sound as a sidechain signal instead of the fx send signal, which goes around a potentially used feedback loop...

Guess what? None of any of the delays out there has considered this, so you need to build it on your own if you want it, even if the delay has a ducking feature :-D
I think adding swing to the delays is more difficult than splitting the chain innit?
Yep, it's more difficult. You can do a lot with cascading delays, but special rhythmic stuff is a problem.
Reason12, Win10

Reasonable man

03 Aug 2020

Fabfilter Timeless has two versions of their plug-in ...a sidechain version and a version without sidechain option ..both of which you get with a one purchase which reminds me i must get using the sidechain version!

Anyway i have to say i love it . In the beginning i really wished i'd gotten echoboy instead because its more of a plug in and play vst and from watching vids it has brilliant presets and sounds fantanstic. Alhough timeless has equally great presets (imo) ..its more of a 'reason' device in that their in a massive DIY element to it and great for any type of rythmic filtered delay you need. i think swinging delays can be achieved by having the delay times slightly left or right of centre which is easy in timeless and the inbuilt lfos can be swung using the balance ring where you can make the start or end of the lfo faster but still 'in time'.
It really is a top plug in if you spend time figuring it out ( which can take time) . Because its a true stereo delay it can be used as a master hass send effect where anything thats sent to it ..where its panned a certain way ... timless can pan the hass or delay effect in the opposite direction..its a life saver in that regard imo. Its my top vst . My only gripe is that it dosn't seemingly have a 5/16 option straight off in that often with very specific delay times like that you have to calculate that specific time manually .. so if i want 3/16 on one side and 5/16 on the other i have to get out a calculator and work out the 5/16 myself.

• Information