Waldorf Largo, $30 bucks! (NOW $25!)

Discuss VST stuff here!
Loque

25 Jun 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
25 Jun 2020
Loque wrote:
25 Jun 2020

I must have missed something on the filters... I thought they are quite standard... I must take another listen...
There's some 'special sauce' type stuff, going on here. :geek:

I wonder what Waldorf did to nail down their own uniqueness.

Maybe there's a special harmonic enhancer or something coded into the filters. A 'tip off' is the 'brilliance' setting on the oscillators. :think:
I will check it out, maybe today. I noticed some additional distortion/saturation stuff and additional algorithms for it, like Punch or however they named it. Too me it looked and sounded like dynamic/envelope following distortion stuff. It sounded good, yea. But the filter itself was more or less "meehhhh"...
Reason12, Win10

hurricane
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2020

According to someone on KVR, the developers are working on a scaleable GUI. No release date mentioned.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

phobic

25 Jun 2020

hurricane wrote:
23 Jun 2020
I don't see what the big deal is about browsing patches. Seems normal to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kind of disappointed with the factory presets as they're all too aggressive and trancy for me. I was hoping to find softer, more ambient types of sounds....you know, bells, tines, atmospheres, soundscapes, digital wavestation-type patches. It can totally do those types of sounds really well (like Albino), I just wish they were already there instead of me having to create them. First world problems, I know.
For everyone who is disappointed with the factory soundbank, you do know that this sale version ships with about 10 other soundbanks already installed by the likes of Rob Lee and Don Peterson right?
They are found under Local Library (just click on the red, right triangle to expand the directory)/ Largo - Sounds by Designers

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2020

Loque!!! Do I need this more than I needed that other one we talked about a week or two ago?? Hahaha :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

25 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
25 Jun 2020
Loque!!! Do I need this more than I needed that other one we talked about a week or two ago?? Hahaha :).
My first impression: "Man, why did i bought it. F*** GAS!"
My second impression: "Yea, its ok, has some taste in the dynamic distortion filter section. Do i gonna use it? Maybe..."

Compared to Thorn: Thorn has much more bumm, bamm and whamm in the engine than this thin Largo thing.

If the patches are good or even great in LArgo, i would recommend to buy it. But they are more like "meehhh", "thin...", "old...". Just a few are good, but within the 400 or so atches they are hard to find.

Not a must have IMO. Much better alternatives out there today IMO. You quickly recognize its 10 years old and not improved over the time.

...Oh...and i think Thorn was even cheaper :-D
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2020

Loque wrote:
25 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
25 Jun 2020
My second impression: "Yea, its ok, has some taste in the dynamic distortion filter section. Do i gonna use it? Maybe..."

Compared to Thorn: Thorn has much more bumm, bamm and whamm in the engine than this thin Largo thing.

If the patches are good or even great in LArgo, i would recommend to buy it. But they are more like "meehhh", "thin...", "old...". Just a few are good, but within the 400 or so atches they are hard to find.

Not a must have IMO. Much better alternatives out there today IMO. You quickly recognize its 10 years old and not improved over the time.

Now???!!!!!!!

Edit: yep. $18.74.

G A S !! ! !
Last edited by MrFigg on 25 Jun 2020, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

hurricane
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2020

phobic wrote:
25 Jun 2020
hurricane wrote:
23 Jun 2020
I don't see what the big deal is about browsing patches. Seems normal to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kind of disappointed with the factory presets as they're all too aggressive and trancy for me. I was hoping to find softer, more ambient types of sounds....you know, bells, tines, atmospheres, soundscapes, digital wavestation-type patches. It can totally do those types of sounds really well (like Albino), I just wish they were already there instead of me having to create them. First world problems, I know.
For everyone who is disappointed with the factory soundbank, you do know that this sale version ships with about 10 other soundbanks already installed by the likes of Rob Lee and Don Peterson right?
They are found under Local Library (just click on the red, right triangle to expand the directory)/ Largo - Sounds by Designers
I don't see how anyone can miss those extra "soundbanks". And I don't know if you can call the other collections of patches "soundbanks" lol - don't mean to sound ungrateful, but Peterson's "bank" (out of 128) has 28 patches, Miceli's has 17, Geisler has 29, H.S. has 16 patches. Cardinale, I think, gave us a full bank. And Rob Lee is trance all the way. But he too, couldn't put together a full bank of 128. The free Microwave bank on gearslutz is better than all those extra "soundbanks". Doc T's are very good though. It's all subjective, I know.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Loque

25 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
25 Jun 2020
Loque wrote:
25 Jun 2020

Now???!!!!!!!
Use the user survey code and you get it for something like 25 (i think its USERSURVEY20LG98HBT5):
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... thorn.html
Reason12, Win10

danc

25 Jun 2020

Loque wrote:
25 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
25 Jun 2020

Now - here's a thing. If we took all of our soft-synths and we had actual real hardware versions of them all.. and they were neatly plugged in, standing ready to use in our extremely plush studio, we'd need a studio the size of a mansion house, with additional stables, coach houses, peasant dwellings, barns, follies, nooks, crannies, underground cellars, ice holes and probably another 5,000 acres on top of that to be sure they fit in. Ok... you've got that image in your head.

You instantly realise that we are ALL totally barking mad and need to PRESS STOP on our madness. I challenge us all to LOCK AWAY OUR WALLETS (purses for you girls) - yes... that includes our PAYPAL accounts... and start enjoying the 95,578 synths we already own. I BEG EVERYONE (and YES that includes you MrFigg who has a self-confessed GAS problem!)

Now let's get back to moaning about Reason Studios and the lack of something that we have seen in Pro Tools or Ableton or whatever DAW.
Check my Soundcloud:

dpcoffin

25 Jun 2020

One of the very few patch designers I actually buy from has three libraries for Largo, with demos, such as:

https://soundsdivine.com/product/largo- ... und-waves/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2020

danc wrote:
25 Jun 2020
Loque wrote:
25 Jun 2020

Now - here's a thing. If we took all of our soft-synths and we had actual real hardware versions of them all.. and they were neatly plugged in, standing ready to use in our extremely plush studio, we'd need a studio the size of a mansion house, with additional stables, coach houses, peasant dwellings, barns, follies, nooks, crannies, underground cellars, ice holes and probably another 5,000 acres on top of that to be sure they fit in. Ok... you've got that image in your head.

You instantly realise that we are ALL totally barking mad and need to PRESS STOP on our madness. I challenge us all to LOCK AWAY OUR WALLETS (purses for you girls) - yes... that includes our PAYPAL accounts... and start enjoying the 95,578 synths we already own. I BEG EVERYONE (and YES that includes you MrFigg who has a self-confessed GAS problem!)

Now let's get back to moaning about Reason Studios and the lack of something that we have seen in Pro Tools or Ableton or whatever DAW.
Hell, why not!! Ok...I’ll do it!!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

25 Jun 2020

danc wrote:
25 Jun 2020
Loque wrote:
25 Jun 2020

And what about Synapse Obsession?

What about all my FX? Do i need another house for them?

Maybe i would need a nuclear reactor if they were all real hardware...
Reason12, Win10

danc

25 Jun 2020

Loque wrote:
25 Jun 2020
danc wrote:
25 Jun 2020

And what about Synapse Obsession?

What about all my FX? Do i need another house for them?

Maybe i would need a nuclear reactor if they were all real hardware...
By the looks of it Loque ... you already do...

Top-Secret-Bunkers-Hack-Green-Street-Nuclear-Bunker-2.jpg
Top-Secret-Bunkers-Hack-Green-Street-Nuclear-Bunker-2.jpg (241.5 KiB) Viewed 2479 times
Check my Soundcloud:

BRIGGS

25 Jun 2020

Boombastix wrote:
25 Jun 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
25 Jun 2020

There's some 'special sauce' type stuff, going on here. :geek:

I wonder what Waldorf did to nail down their own uniqueness.

Maybe there's a special harmonic enhancer or something coded into the filters. A 'tip off' is the 'brilliance' setting on the oscillators. :think:
Looking at the spectrum I do not see any enhancement, the brilliance is that, but nothing that I can see in the filters.
Often it has to do with the resonance and how they apply limiting. You can push it into distortion, and if hitting a sweet spot that creates a unique sound. At high frequency it gets a bit chirpy, and a t low a bit narly. I like it, it sounds nice and it is different. Also it sounds clear, not muffled. The drive alogos are unique and pretty nice if used just a little before they "crack" up.
You can get a lot of nasty digital distorsion if you go to hard.
Fascinating, maybe they applied limiting to compensate for aliasing. <---I'm speculating here

Could be on of those 'happy accidents', that the filters sound the way they do.

Was oversampling in synths, a thing, 10 years ago? :?: I don't remember.
r11s

ab459

25 Jun 2020

Well, personally i considering Filter as whole Filter section, incl. drive (with list of drive types), as well fm etc, not only behavior of frequency cutoff, not to mention various types in filters list incl. Comb.

If talk about some little flaws (if can call), can note partially "offline" approach in some Largo features. I mean, some function will not have affect to currently active\sounding note (voice), this applies for example to wavetable switch from list (not for wave selection by the "Wave" spinner in osc corner - this is realtime), also, for Unisono\Voices section settings, i not remember for what else. Not a big deal ofcourse, but at starts can cause confusion sometimes.

VariableX

25 Jun 2020

Loque wrote:
25 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
25 Jun 2020

Whaaat...
OK i now realise the best cure for GAS is not to frequent this board!!!
I now own Largo and Thorn ( which was 14.90 or something with Loques coupon )
Loque - thanks for the coupons -i think
OG thread author - thanks for the heads up - i think
Figg - lets get off this board and save money - i know

dont normally do vst, but they both sound great synths to my ears... so do all my other synths tho 🤷🏽‍♂️

tumar

28 Jun 2020

madmacman wrote:
22 Jun 2020
I have the Blofeld for twelve years now. So I never felt the need to try Largo as software equivalent. But if it sounds close to the HW, then 30 bucks is a steal! :)
I had Blofeld (white keyboard version) and trialed Largo. IMO Largo sounds a lot better than hardware. Among other things, that is why I sold thin sounding Blofeld but I had that famous underpowered Blofeld version with arpeggiator problem.

Propellerhands

29 Jun 2020

Ah sweet. Probably one of the first commercial synths that I tried and liked (and hated) due to it's "metalic sound". But the filters...another story.

Worth the price now.
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2020

fretshot7 wrote:
25 Jun 2020
Loque wrote:
25 Jun 2020

Whaaat...

dont normally do vst, but they both sound great synths to my ears... so do all my other synths tho 🤷🏽‍♂️
I've managed to hold out through three sales thus far :). No more synths at the Figg household.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

kinkujin

30 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
29 Jun 2020
fretshot7 wrote:
25 Jun 2020

Whaaat...

I've managed to hold out through three sales thus far :). No more synths at the Figg household.
Good man! A better man than I.

I am going to use my softsynths as an opportunity to rid myself of some hardware that doesn't get used as much as it should. I do worry about the changing computer/license thing but for now, I should be more than set with what I've just acquired for pretty bargain prices.

Last night, just got U-He Repro 5 and Pro 1 bundle. I'm almost certain that alot of my studio time is now going to be spoken for.

hurricane
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
29 Jun 2020

I don't know man...makes me think of that other thread where it was something like 'what sale do you regret passing up on". Largo is great. Buying things you won't use is a good thing though, but next thing you know you'll be buying yet another overpriced and mediocre synth RE. :mrgreen:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

MarkTarlton

30 Jun 2020

Does anyone know if you can route external audio into the filter? I tried but couldn't see any options in the matrix router.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2020

hurricane wrote:
30 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
29 Jun 2020

I don't know man...makes me think of that other thread where it was something like 'what sale do you regret passing up on". Largo is great. Buying things you won't use is a good thing though, but next thing you know you'll be buying yet another overpriced and mediocre synth RE. :mrgreen:
You know what man...for the most part these days I’m stuck in stuff that’ll work with my guitar. That Whammy pedal. The Audiority UniVibe thing. Loads of great stuff. That’s where it’s at for me just now. Yeah, the GAS is not gone but it’s more focused now :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

BRIGGS

30 Jun 2020

MarkTarlton wrote:
30 Jun 2020
Does anyone know if you can route external audio into the filter? I tried but couldn't see any options in the matrix router.
Looks like, no audio input. :|
r11s

Boombastix
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2020

MarkTarlton wrote:
30 Jun 2020
Waldorf has a VST called D-pole, it has that metallic ring like Largo's filters. It has been a freebie on occasion as part of their LE package. Maybe it was via a magazine, don't remember.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information