KORG Gadget VSTs - experiences?

Discuss VST stuff here!
stp2015

09 Jun 2020

I am considering getting the gadget collection for the MS20, the Electribe Wave and the basic sample slicer. Do any of you know if you can drag and drop samples from the reason browser onto the devices that use samples? Or is sample drag and drop only an RE thing?

Thanks!

TheDragonborg

09 Jun 2020

You need to manually import them...

stp2015

10 Jun 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
09 Jun 2020
You need to manually import them...
Thanks. What is your general experience? Good purchase? Does Abu Dhabi work well in Reason?

TheDragonborg

10 Jun 2020

No I don't have Gadget... that's just how VSTs work... you have to manually import samples.

stp2015

10 Jun 2020

Thanks

DaveyG

11 Jun 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
10 Jun 2020
No I don't have Gadget... that's just how VSTs work... you have to manually import samples.
Not in other DAWs. You can just drag samples onto 'em..

TheDragonborg

11 Jun 2020

DaveyG wrote:
11 Jun 2020
TheDragonborg wrote:
10 Jun 2020
Okay... which DAW can you drag samples into a VST? And I mean external VST not the ones built-in with the DAW as that's different.

Some VSTs might support dragging in samples from your computer's file explorer, but VSTs are not coded to allow samples to be drug into them from the DAW's file explorer unless it's coded to support that DAW.

Quoting this other thread:
esselfortium wrote:
30 Apr 2017
1) Probably a case-by-case situation, at best. If the VST's interface is coded to allow dragging and dropping files from folder windows in Finder or Windows Explorer, and it doesn't work with Reason's browser, then making Reason's browser behave similarly would be a sensible feature request to make to Propellerhead. If the VST doesn't support that, though, there's not much that Reason can do about it, and it'd be a feature request to make to the VST developer themselves.

2) Yes. From what I understand, VSTs' functionality (including file loading) are pretty much completely separate from the host's capabilities. You can think of it almost like each VST plugin is a separate program that's designed to be synchronized with a DAW.

DaveyG

11 Jun 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
11 Jun 2020
DaveyG wrote:
11 Jun 2020

Okay... which DAW can you drag samples into a VST? And I mean external VST not the ones built-in with the DAW as that's different.

I do it all the time with Regroover VST in Studio One but it works with any VST that accepts drag and drop. Serato Sample is another one.

chimp_spanner

11 Jun 2020

Well in Reason at least drag and drop to third party VSTs from the filebrowser doesn't work. I'm trying it here with Kontakt. But if I use Finder, it works. In Cubase I seem to remember drag and drop from the browser worked with Grain so I don't think it's a limitation of all DAWs that they can't do it. Some can, some can't.

With regards to Gadget...eh. Honestly I'd save your money. I thought I was gonna use them way more than I did as I had a blast with them on iPad. But in the context of Reason, most of them don't hold a candle to what you can do with stock synths and even just one or two effects. Plus there are some serious oversights like no multi-out on the drum units, and no option to disable velocity to amp scaling on many of the synths. So yeah, I'm gonna say hard-pass on these.

Also the sample importing in the Gadget plugins is weird. No drag and drop support at all. You have to use this little file import dialogue, lifted straight from the iOS version. The sample slicer has no stretching capabilities. Yeah it's all around disappointing tbh.

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
11 Jun 2020
But in the context of Reason, most of them don't hold a candle to what you can do with stock synths and even just one or two effects.
Ooof - are you for real, man?? I mean c'mon, my ancient Access Virus sounds better than Reason's stock synths. :D

You don't jive with the gadgets - fine. But I think Reason's stock synths are nowhere near the quality of most of the gadgets. The pianos in Salzburg are better than Reason's factory pianos and any in Radical Piano. You also get the full M1, Wavestation, MonoPoly, Polysix, and MS-20. I'd rather have those than Subtractor, Thor, and Malstrom. The analog emulations are freaking great - Dublin (MS-20-ish), Phoenix (OBX-A), Lexington (Odyssey), Berlin (ARP of some sort) - there are no Reason stock synths that emulate analog like these. You'd have to seriously patch the shit out of Reason's stock synths and fx to get a sound like these. I dare you to recreate Phoenix's default brass patch using just ONE Subtractor or Thor. You can't because the unison on Phoenix is magical and you'd have to resort to trickery and multi-device witchcraft to get something remotely close. There's just so much good stuff in Gadget - like all their digital synths - Glasgow (Triton), Chiang May (FM), Kiev (Vector), Warszawa (Wavetable), their 303 (Chicago), plus some very cool arcade gadgets, not to mention all the drum/perc gadgets that come with really good samples.

I say if you want a jump in basic overall sound quality without really doing anything or exerting great effort, use Korg's Gadgets instead of Reason's stock synths because by default, Korg's Gadgets have a more polished sound.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Boombastix
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2020

stp2015 wrote:
09 Jun 2020
I am considering getting the gadget collection for the MS20, the Electribe Wave and the basic sample slicer. Do any of you know if you can drag and drop samples from the reason browser onto the devices that use samples? Or is sample drag and drop only an RE thing?

Thanks!
If you can try them I think you should. I can only speak from the VSTs point of view. IMO the Korg analog emulations are a bit weak compared to state of the art stuff like The Legend, Roland, and Diva. Not useless, but missing that that. The digital emulations are great as they are nearly identical to the original keyboards (some hate those sounds, some love them). The MS-20 sound is notoriously difficult to get in a VST. Behringer could not even do it in their analog hw copy. And the Korg mini MS-20, though close, is still off. (I do have the original MS-20, and I think I forgot his 40th birthday :o ).

Like they said before. You cannot drag samples from ReFills or the Factory Lib, but you can from the OS File Explorer.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information