Eastwest 40,000 virtual instruments for 29.99 a month? or 199 a year? opinions?

Discuss VST stuff here!
samsome

08 May 2020

40,000 virtual instruments for 29.99 a month? or 199 a year? opinions?

just seeing if its worth it, anyone who is on this?

esselfortium

08 May 2020

EastWest's Play engine doesn't get along well with Reason, unfortunately. It has frequent dropouts while exporting or bouncing because EastWest can't seem to fix Play to consistently behave when doing offline bounce. 😔
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Ulpu

08 May 2020

For someReason I don't like to have my synths in a cloud :?

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 May 2020

esselfortium wrote:
08 May 2020
EastWest's Play engine doesn't get along well with Reason, unfortunately. It has frequent dropouts while exporting or bouncing because EastWest can't seem to fix Play to consistently behave when doing offline bounce. 😔
I've not had any issues. Are you running from a HDD with caching?
Ulpu wrote:
08 May 2020
For someReason I don't like to have my synths in a cloud :?
It's not in the cloud, it's installed and downloaded to your computer just like any other software. They just used the term for marketing purposes.

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 May 2020

samsome wrote:
08 May 2020

Absolutely worth it! I'd recommend supplementing it with a lightweight bread and butter library like Xpand!2 ($10 on PluginBoutique), Korg Triton Collection, Sonic Reality Gold Bundle, or Sampletank.

It has a hell of a lot of big sounds that rich in texture and an absolute joy to play.

Plus it's got a vocal synth (you write words and it sings them out).

DaveyG

08 May 2020

samsome wrote:
08 May 2020

Mate, based on this and your other recent posts I think you need to stop seeking a magic bullet and just get your head down and make some music with the tools you have.

samsome

08 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
08 May 2020
samsome wrote:
08 May 2020

Mate, based on this and your other recent posts I think you need to stop seeking a magic bullet and just get your head down and make some music with the tools you have.
yes its just so that i'm aware that certain if not all sounds of Orkester for example cannot compete with Eastwest

if i'm there trying to reach Eastwest quality with orkester then i would be frustrated really quick i guess?

btw i did not test yet, i am assuming from what i heard etc so i think i'll try compare

and yes i need to get down to implementing i agree

joeyluck

08 May 2020

samsome wrote:
08 May 2020
DaveyG wrote:
08 May 2020

yes its just so that i'm aware that certain if not all sounds of Orkester for example cannot compete with Eastwest

if i'm there trying to reach Eastwest quality with orkester then i would be frustrated really quick i guess?

btw i did not test yet, i am assuming from what i heard etc so i think i'll try compare

and yes i need to get down to implementing i agree
East West is great, but like Esselfortium mentioned, I too had issues with their stuff inside Reason.

If you're a first time explorer, you should definitely check out and toy around with free options that are out there:
For example, Spitfire Audio Labs, Spitfire Audio BBCSO Discover, ProjectSAM's The Free Orchestra...

reddust

13 May 2020

I had the cloud for one year and cancelled my subscription last month. I barely used it and didn't like the idea of being bound to a full year of subscription so I don't think I'll ever use it again if they don't start offering more flexible plans.

The few times I used it, I can say the sounds are good and in some of the cases there aren't really good alternatives in the market or if there are they are quite expensive.

Anyways, I couldn't really become friends with their software in general, having to use an installer seems to be hard to avoid and I think in cases like this it is even a good decision since you can install and uninstall any instrument or library you want to use or just test inside the composer cloud.

But once you install it you need to use their player, which is something like their own version of Kontakt, and if you don't have a powerful pc and specially as a reason user without midi multichannel, this means for each instrument you'll need to load an instance of the player and then the instrument or library you want to use, meaning additional cpu use.

I would also add that the UI looks a little bit as if we were using some software designed back in the 90s, which in my case doesn't invite to have the best mood to make music and kind of makes things a little bit more confusing, but not really that bad, just a side note. Anyways, some of the vocal libraries still lack a good legato effect making voices sound a little bit artificial but I think this is getting better in the newest libraries like the hollywood choirs or the soul voices.

If you think you're going to use it regularly I think the composer cloud is totally worth the money, but if you think you're only going to use some of their libraries every now and then I would rather recommend to save the money for the libraries you want and purchase them, a full year of the composer cloud might end up being more expensive than getting the full library on one of their sales

• Information