Xpand!2 is a no-brainer ...

Discuss VST stuff here!
avasopht
Competition Winner

05 May 2020

I just got it yesterday and I'm gobsmacked.

It's uber low CPU, has great sounds, requires minimal HDD space (like 1GB), has all those bread & butter sounds, sounds like a hardware workstation, has easy to use layering, and on top of that has intuitive drum selection & tweaking (plus it's easy to load only one type of drum sound in a device if you want to process each type of drum sound separately).

Did I mention it's easy to use?

For just £10 from Plugin Boutique.

I only checked it out after someone mentioned it on the Korg Triton VST thread, suggesting it's much better value for money. It is.

It's really playable too. I had seen Xpand!2 recommended before but I went for the Steinberg Collection instead. What a mistake!

So glad I got it. This is now my go-to device for bread & butter sounds and will replace a few Refills for starting tracks. Will have to check out Structure 2 at some point.

hurricane
Competition Winner

05 May 2020

It's crazy that you can sometimes find it given away for free.

It has almost 2,500 presets, creating your own layers is easy and fast and they come out sounding great, and it's the handiest instrument of all time, in my opinion.The acoustic sounds in Halion/Halion Sonic are of higher quality though (based off/come from the Yamaha Motif), but XPAND2 is pretty good and very useful.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

DaveyG

06 May 2020

I think I got it free with a keyboard. Tried it once then forgot about it. That's the trouble with getting something for free - you don't value it enough to pay it attention!

Ulpu

06 May 2020

Didn't know about this instrument! Thanks for the "heads up" :thumbs_up:
Sounds very interesting:

Ulpu

07 May 2020

Did it ask you to install PACE Anti-piracy when you were installing Xpand2?

Mistro17

07 May 2020

@Ulpu I only had to use iLock to authorize it.

@avasopht thanks for the heads up. I got it yesterday and had hours of fun last night. Totally worth the $15

jam-s

07 May 2020

Ulpu wrote:
07 May 2020
I think so. Those Air plugins require a (software) iLok activation (from PACE).

Kalm

08 May 2020

Funny how these instruments are making a serious intervention nowadays
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Ulpu

08 May 2020

jam-s wrote:
07 May 2020
Ulpu wrote:
07 May 2020
I think so. Those Air plugins require a (software) iLok activation (from PACE).
Ok, that explains :thumbs_up:

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
05 May 2020
[...] in my opinion.The acoustic sounds in Halion/Halion Sonic are of higher quality though (based off/come from the Yamaha Motif), but XPAND2 is pretty good and very useful.
I'm supplementing it with EWQL for high-quality instruments, which is another insane bargain (£20/mo). Along with the quality synths I've gotten for cheap, I've found myself pretty much spoilt for choice and quality at very little cost.

What I like most about Xpand2 is that it's organized, sounds and feels like a hardware workstation, and has easy and intuitive controls that make it easy to work with.

The pricing can fool you, but the sounds immediately set me straight. Especially the drum selector.

This would also make for a brilliant Rack Extension. ReasonStudios would be wise to pay them to make a port - and even wiser to include it with Reason!

EnochLight

08 May 2020

I got it for $1 USD years ago. As far as Air Plugins are concerned, it's a pretty bread-and-butter rompler that Pro Tools folks have used for a long time. When I first got it, I honestly wasn't that impressed - at all. A lot of its content is sorely dated (the multipatches come to mind), but after spending some time with it - there's definitely some useful stuff in there. I mean for $1 USD or free (or even $10 USD) it's hard to critique it. If I had any complaint, I'd ask for an update on its GUI/UX so it can be resized, and maybe some updated stock presets to bring it more in alignment with modern synths. Also, the browser is absolutely abysmal. About as bad as Reveal Sound's Spire VST. :lol:

But seriously - for the cost - I can't complain.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information