Please inform me best VST's for Action music

Discuss VST stuff here!
samsome

01 May 2020

Please inform me the best VST's i could go for with the best sounds for Action/competition music rooted in Hip-Hop, Electronic, or Orchestral......

i am assuming the Reason stock sounds are of a lower grade and cannot compete, if otherwise please inform

Thanks !

Baylo

01 May 2020

No offense intended, but it sounds like you are looking for a magic bullet. And when you say you assume the stock sounds are lower quality, that suggests to me that maybe you haven’t taken the time to look yet?

Sorry if I presume too much, but it might be more helpful if you could give examples of sounds from the factory bank that are getting close to what you want to hear and then tell us what quality they are missing. We might then be able to advise on how to correct the issue - whether through editing the sound or recommending a different device.

Baylo

01 May 2020

One other thought, given that “hip hop, electronic or orchestral” covers a vast array of sounds... Possibly your need is more aligned to the production style rather than the actual VSTs/sounds themselves?

I am genuinely trying to help, just not sure where to begin based on what you said so far. :-)

hurricane
Competition Winner

01 May 2020

samsome wrote:
01 May 2020
Please inform me the best VST's i could go for with the best sounds for Action/competition music rooted in Hip-Hop, Electronic, or Orchestral......

i am assuming the Reason stock sounds are of a lower grade and cannot compete, if otherwise please inform

Thanks !

Omnisphere 100% for sure.
Keyscape for keys.
Synths - could be any, but you want high quality, so Serum, Avenger, Sylenth, Hive, Spire.
You'd probably want a rompler or two - XPAND2, Halion Sonic, Sampletank.
For drums you'll want some samples and something to use them in. I suggest Battery.

Anyone who tries to tell you that Reason's factory sounds are better than the above are lying to you. Anyone who says that you can use Reason's sounds, and all you need to do is "layer" and to put in "some work" - yeah, don't waste your time.

Reason's stock sounds need updating. Go third party. Don't waste your time on Rack Extensions either.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Baylo

01 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
01 May 2020
samsome wrote:
01 May 2020

Thanks !

Keyscape for keys.
Synths - could be any, but you want high quality, so Serum, Avenger, Sylenth, Hive, Spire.
For drums you'll want some samples and something to use them in. I suggest Battery.

Anyone who tries to tell you that Reason's factory sounds are better than the above are lying to you. Anyone who says that you can use Reason's sounds, and all you need to do is "layer" and to put in "some work" - yeah, don't waste your time.

Reason's stock sounds need updating. Go third party. Don't waste your time on Rack Extensions either.
All true, no doubt! But I still think some examples from the OP of specifically what they are looking for would be helpful. Otherwise we run the risk of just providing a generic list of “best” plugins and hope the $$$ are available to buy them. :-)

samsome

01 May 2020

i'm mostly searching for cinematic sounds i guess and orchestral sounds, thanks for the examples so far!

Baylo

01 May 2020

Cool. In that case I would definitely concur with Hurricane on Omnisphere for a wide range of sounds, but particularly atmospheric type. I also think it would be a mistake to ignore Europa, which you already have. Maybe there are some refills available if you don’t like the factory sounds. Likely some of the cinematic Kontakt libraries would be of interest, too - both orchestral and percussive.

joeyluck

01 May 2020

samsome wrote:
01 May 2020
i'm mostly searching for cinematic sounds i guess and orchestral sounds, thanks for the examples so far!
The Orchestra / The Orchestra Complete from Sonuscore is the most fun I've had with an orchestral library. I've gotten so much use out of it and gotten so much more done with it. It contains a good amount of everything and has brilliant animated patches and multis for instant inspiration. Fully customizable and has export to MIDI. And they continue to update it :thumbs_up:

KevTav

01 May 2020

"Give me links to all your best composer tools....on a silver platter guys"

And lo and behold......people actually RESPONDED.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

hurricane
Competition Winner

01 May 2020

I was being intentionally and ridiculously general on purpose to match the question.

"What's the best synth for trance?"

"Umm, Sylenth."

Carry on. :mrgreen:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Baylo

01 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
01 May 2020
I was being intentionally and ridiculously general on purpose to match the question.

"What's the best synth for trance?"

"Umm, Sylenth."

Carry on. :mrgreen:
LOL. I was trying not to be rude, but the thought did cross my mind. I clearly had too much caffeine this morning to focus properly.

littlejam

01 May 2020

hello,

to the op
you can always ask aeox
aeox helped you out before
but you forgot him
you can mix action music with hip hop rap
once you understand the difference maybe

have a blessed weekend,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

Seckin

02 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
01 May 2020
samsome wrote:
01 May 2020

Thanks !

Keyscape for keys.

Most of Reason's factory sounds are old. They continue to exist in new versions for backwards compatibility. That is why they don't sound particularly impressive today. On the other hand, Reason's devices can easily generate sounds that are as big as the sounds of all those other flagship synths you mention. Anyone who says otherwise does not know their craft.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

hurricane
Competition Winner

02 May 2020

Seckin wrote:
02 May 2020
Most of Reason's factory sounds are old. They continue to exist in new versions for backwards compatibility. That is why they don't sound particularly impressive today. On the other hand, Reason's devices can easily generate sounds that are as big as the sounds of all those other flagship synths you mention. Anyone who says otherwise does not know their craft.
Work smarter, not harder. You don't get bonus points for making a bunch of Malstroms + effects sound like one instance of Omnisphere.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Propellerhands

02 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
02 May 2020
Seckin wrote:
02 May 2020
Work smarter, not harder. You don't get bonus points for making a bunch of Malstroms + effects sound like one instance of Omnisphere.
Totally agree. But in his defense, a bunch of Malstroms also uses much less CPU compared to one instance of Omnisphere.

P.S. Your music is awesome, Mr.Hurricane
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

hurricane
Competition Winner

03 May 2020

Propellerhands wrote:
02 May 2020

Totally agree. But in his defense, a bunch of Malstroms also uses much less CPU compared to one instance of Omnisphere.

P.S. Your music is awesome, Mr.Hurricane
Very true about the CPU.

The point I am trying to make is that we're no longer stuck having to use only Reason's factory sounds and synths, and there are many more specialized tools out there which if you can access, are much better suited for certain genres.

If the OP wanted to make authentic sounding polka music, and asked if you could do that with Reason's FSB or if there were other higher quality instruments that could do it better, then yeah, there are specialized higher quality instruments and sample libraries out there that would outperform Reason's FSB. Of course you could make polka or any kind of music with Reason's synths and the FSB, but with specialized tools you'll waste less time, use less effort, get faster results, and achieve better quality.

Just my opinion, and thanks for listening to my music!
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Seckin

03 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
02 May 2020
Seckin wrote:
02 May 2020
Totally fair point. I have Omnisphere and there's barely a sound that Omnisphere can generate, the thickness of which I can't achieve with Europa. Surely the times are always changing and things get outdated due to changing tastes in music and ten years from today maybe we will be talking about how outdated Europa and Omnisphere both are, or maybe there will be a movement towards thinner, lo-fi sounds or a new genre that don't sound anything like today's sounds at all or maybe whatever. That's why I say, it's perfectly OK to seek the most sophisticated tools, but if I can't make great music with the simplest tools, that means I can't make great music at all and no fancy sound will be fancy enough to hide that fact. Just my opinion.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

• Information