Reason and EZkeys (FIXED)

Discuss VST stuff here!
CaveTechDiver

20 Apr 2020

Good evening all,

I have a problem that I cannot figure out. Although I have searched the internet and this board. Hopefully you geniuses can help out an old analog engineer :-)

I have Reason 10 and just picked up EZkeys. I am using a focusrite interface and an Akai MPK249 controller plugged into USB.

The Controller works flawlessly with Reason. If I open EZkeys, the controller works flawlessly with that software also (I have the 249 set as my MIDI in device in EZkeys).

I can play and use the midi library in EZ keys and it works beautifully. I can also drag and drop the MIDI data from the EZkeys playbar into Reason without issues.

Here is my problem:

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to control EZkeys from within Reason. I have tried switching the MIDI input channel in EZkeys to the Focusrite USB in hopes that the midi output from Reason (MIDI instrument control in the rack) would activate it, but to no avail. I only receive MIDI data into EZkeys if I use the 249 as the input device.

What I am trying to do is have my MIDI data from Reason trigger the concert Grand piano in EZkeys so that I can record that audio file.

I found a video on youtube of a gentleman that got it to work on a Mac, but it seems different on a PC.

Thank you all for your help and valuable time, and I hope you are all staying safe and sound.

Cheers,

Mike

Yonatan

20 Apr 2020

You talk about the EzKeys Vst plugin or the EzKeys standalone mode?
I have only used the plugin and it works like other vst instruments inside of Reason.
If you use the standalone mode, I have not tried if that is possible to connect to Reason, maybe it is, but the same functions is in the vst version, so use that one.

Kalm

20 Apr 2020

CaveTechDiver wrote:
20 Apr 2020
Good evening all,

I have a problem that I cannot figure out. Although I have searched the internet and this board. Hopefully you geniuses can help out an old analog engineer :-)

I have Reason 10 and just picked up EZkeys. I am using a focusrite interface and an Akai MPK249 controller plugged into USB.

The Controller works flawlessly with Reason. If I open EZkeys, the controller works flawlessly with that software also (I have the 249 set as my MIDI in device in EZkeys).

I can play and use the midi library in EZ keys and it works beautifully. I can also drag and drop the MIDI data from the EZkeys playbar into Reason without issues.

Here is my problem:

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to control EZkeys from within Reason. I have tried switching the MIDI input channel in EZkeys to the Focusrite USB in hopes that the midi output from Reason (MIDI instrument control in the rack) would activate it, but to no avail. I only receive MIDI data into EZkeys if I use the 249 as the input device.

What I am trying to do is have my MIDI data from Reason trigger the concert Grand piano in EZkeys so that I can record that audio file.

I found a video on youtube of a gentleman that got it to work on a Mac, but it seems different on a PC.

Thank you all for your help and valuable time, and I hope you are all staying safe and sound.

Cheers,

Mike
Question, why are you preferring to run EZKeys standalone? (Assuming the video). Why not just load EZKeys in the DAW and record the MIDI. It'll still route audio to the mixer like any other VST. . .

And if you want the audio after you're done, you can just Bounce the MIDI in the DAW to audio.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

CaveTechDiver

20 Apr 2020

********** Problem is fixed **********

Thank you all for your help. I did not realize that EZkeys acted as a VST from within Reason, I thought that since i was UNABLE to see the plugin in the instruments, that it had to be run in standalone mode.

Here is the FIX:

EZkeys DOES NOT install the VST in a directory that Reason scans for on bootup, therefore it is rendered unavailable. What I did is go to preferences on Reason, and add the directory within the EZkeys program folder which held the VST, and restart Reason.

TADAHHH!!!! Works like a charm, in fact, the MIDI information is bilateral now, as I can take my own compositions and drag them into EZkeys, which enables me to test out unusual chord progressions for my arrangements.

Again, thank you all so much for your help.

Cheers,

Mike

Boombastix
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2020

CaveTechDiver wrote:
20 Apr 2020

Thank you all for your help. I did not realize that EZkeys acted as a VST from within Reason, I thought that since i was UNABLE to see the plugin in the instruments, that it had to be run in standalone mode.

Here is the FIX:

EZkeys DOES NOT install the VST in a directory that Reason scans for on bootup, therefore it is rendered unavailable. What I did is go to preferences on Reason, and add the directory within the EZkeys program folder which held the VST, and restart Reason.

TADAHHH!!!! Works like a charm, in fact, the MIDI information is bilateral now, as I can take my own compositions and drag them into EZkeys, which enables me to test out unusual chord progressions for my arrangements.

Cheers,

Mike
Just keep in mind that one of the MAJOR features in EzKeys does NOT work in Reason. And that is midi out from EzKey. You can use the built in internal sound, but you CANNOT play ANY REs from EzKeys directly.
What you can do is drag the midi out of EzKeys, or get a VST host that allows routing of Midi and use other VST instruments.

Many of us have requested that Reason fulfill their promise of users being able to use "ALL YOUR VST's" (from Reason 9.5 marketing campaign), but still no word if they plan to do so. It is very unfortunate imo.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Kalm

21 Apr 2020

CaveTechDiver wrote:
20 Apr 2020

Here is the FIX:

Cheers,

Mike
That sounded like an annoying problem lmao glad you got it fixed
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

• Information