Sidechaining with Waves F6 in Reason

Discuss VST stuff here!
JerrelTheKing

09 Apr 2020

So I just bought Waves F6 dynamic EQ primarily for its sidechaining capabilities where my kick trick can trigger reduction in certain frequencies of other sounds. However I need a workaround because vsts dont ahve a sdechain in to trigger that.. am I missing something? Please help

retreed
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2020

There are maybe other more elegant ways, but I prepared a short clip on a possibility to approach it:

click me

It does use the Gate Out of the Drum Machine to change the Gain of the specific band you want to duck with an EQ. Skope is just in the clip to show what happens to the CV signal while Janitor (free in the shop) does form the CV signal to taste. (Using CV to change the Gain of the band should work for your EQ as well. I used another one in my example as I do not have yours.)

I hope it helps. :thumbs_up:

retreed
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2020

I just noticed it appears to be a dynamic EQ.

Does it maybe have optional audio inputs on the back?

If so, it's most likely the sidechain input.

Jackjackdaw

09 Apr 2020

I think sidechain input for VSTs is a VST3 only thing.

JerrelTheKing

09 Apr 2020

retreed wrote:
09 Apr 2020
There are maybe other more elegant ways, but I prepared a short clip on a possibility to approach it:

click me

It does use the Gate Out of the Drum Machine to change the Gain of the specific band you want to duck with an EQ. Skope is just in the clip to show what happens to the CV signal while Janitor (free in the shop) does form the CV signal to taste. (Using CV to change the Gain of the band should work for your EQ as well. I used another one in my example as I do not have yours.)

I hope it helps. :thumbs_up:
Hey Thanks Im going to try this!!

JerrelTheKing

09 Apr 2020

retreed wrote:
09 Apr 2020
I just noticed it appears to be a dynamic EQ.

Does it maybe have optional audio inputs on the back?

If so, it's most likely the sidechain input.
It does have those on back but I got nothing using those. Going into the CV ins allowed me to get close to it

JerrelTheKing

09 Apr 2020

Ok what my issue now seems to be is triggering the kick as audio and not from a device.. The modulation CV in works fine on the F6 but how do I get the audio thru CV out?

retreed
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2020

JerrelTheKing wrote:
09 Apr 2020
Ok what my issue now seems to be is triggering the kick as audio and not from a device.. The modulation CV in works fine on the F6 but how do I get the audio thru CV out?
You can place a Pulverizer as Insert FX, bypass it (so it does not change your audio signal), then use the CV Output "Follower" below "Modulation Output" on the back of the device. You can shape the signal using the options for the follower on the front of the device, even though it is bypassed.

JerrelTheKing

09 Apr 2020

retreed wrote:
09 Apr 2020
JerrelTheKing wrote:
09 Apr 2020
You can place a Pulverizer as Insert FX, bypass it (so it does not change your audio signal), then use the CV Output "Follower" below "Modulation Output" on the back of the device. You can shape the signal using the options for the follower on the front of the device, even though it is bypassed.
Wow that worked like a charm!! Thank you so much man!

retreed
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2020

JerrelTheKing wrote:
09 Apr 2020
Wow that worked like a charm!! Thank you so much man!
I'm glad to hear that it's working for you. :thumbs_up:

Stygian Abyss

13 Apr 2020

Another way to solve this issue is to use a VST wrapper like Blue Cat's Patchwork. This program has multiples usages, including loading VST3 in Reason to use sidechain.

scotteosborn

23 Jun 2020

Don't know if anyone is still interested in this topic (as of this writing, the F6 Dynamic EQ is on sale < $30 with a discount code ), but was able to get this to work by
1)Pushing the "sidechain" audio through an MClass Compressor, then
2)Wiring the compressor's CV output (on the back) to the F6 (also on the back), then
3)Using the CV programmer (on the F6) to assign the CV to the channel's gain I wanted to dynamically alter, then
4) Set the input range values on the CV programmer (of the F6) to -50
5)Tweaked the Compressor's threshold to taste

Can post more details and picts if anyone is interested.
10% off at Waves!
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

KozmikWaveProds

16 Apr 2022

Can you please post a step by step photo illustration. That would be very helpful. I tried using your written instruction but it's a bit unclear and I was not successful.

tomusurp

19 Apr 2022

Lol I just bought the F6 . I don't really need it cuz I have the FF Q3 but I like the interface and simplicity. I had no idea the optional audio in's were deactivated! Normally that's where the sidechain input is on my other VSTs
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/c/TomUsurp
https://www.tomusurp.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

huggermugger

19 Apr 2022

Tomeo55 wrote:
19 Apr 2022
Lol I just bought the F6 . I don't really need it cuz I have the FF Q3 but I like the interface and simplicity. I had no idea the optional audio in's were deactivated! Normally that's where the sidechain input is on my other VSTs
Yeah, the sidechain inputs on Waves don't work in Reason. It's a 'feature', and each manufacturer blames the other for it.

• Information