Waves NX (Headphone mixing), now $29. Is it good?

Discuss VST stuff here!
Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2020

Anybody use it, opinions? Worth buying?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

joeyluck

03 Apr 2020

Boombastix wrote:
03 Apr 2020
You could demo it. I got the Abbey Road Studio 3 and I'm liking it so far.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2020

joeyluck wrote:
03 Apr 2020
Boombastix wrote:
03 Apr 2020
You could demo it. I got the Abbey Road Studio 3 and I'm liking it so far.
Sure I think it will, but still interested to hear from someone who has put some milage on it. Perception changes maybe (demoes are only 7 days), and you get more mix feedback. Is it getting good results faster, is getting better results etc.?

hurricane
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2020

Very curious about this one.

It's $24.28 at http://everyplugin.com/nx.html with the code YNY23, by the way.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

03 Apr 2020

And if you're interested, Abbey Road Studio 3 is on sale right now ($34.83 through Best Service)
https://www.bestservice.com/abbey_road_studio_3.html

If you're not familiar, it too use the NX tech.

I've been using my MacBook camera for head tracking, which works pretty well. There's the Bluetooth tracker they sell separately if you want more accuracy.

PhillipOrdonez

03 Apr 2020

I've been using the abbey road studio one for a few months and I'm liking it very much. I my mixes have improved massively, don't know I'd because of it alone but it's certainly helped.

The head tracking thing with the webcam, I personally don't use at all. By itself it works very well without that gimmick, however fun and nice to trick the brain into listening to actual speakers, it is not needed. And one can feel like one is actually listening to speakers and not the headphones for sure. Additionally, I do tend to turn the thing manually to check how it sounds from various angles and that's enough for me.

No idea about the nx thing but hope it helps.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2020

Seems the NX and Abbey are very similar, except for the Abbey impulse responses. This is what Waves says:

How does Abbey Road Studio 3 differ from the Nx Virtual Mix Room plugin?
Abbey Road Studio 3 is powered by the same Waves Nx algorithm for spatial audio over headphones as the Nx Virtual Mix Room plugin; but it combines the Waves Nx algorithm with precision impulse response measurements from the physical Abbey Road Studio 3 control room.
The Nx Virtual Mix Room plugin creates an ‘imagined’ virtual room; the Abbey Road Studio 3 plugin recreates, over headphones, the precise proven acoustic qualities of the original Studio 3 control room.

joeyluck

03 Apr 2020

Boombastix wrote:
03 Apr 2020
Seems the NX and Abbey are very similar, except for the Abbey impulse responses. This is what Waves says:

How does Abbey Road Studio 3 differ from the Nx Virtual Mix Room plugin?
Abbey Road Studio 3 is powered by the same Waves Nx algorithm for spatial audio over headphones as the Nx Virtual Mix Room plugin; but it combines the Waves Nx algorithm with precision impulse response measurements from the physical Abbey Road Studio 3 control room.
The Nx Virtual Mix Room plugin creates an ‘imagined’ virtual room; the Abbey Road Studio 3 plugin recreates, over headphones, the precise proven acoustic qualities of the original Studio 3 control room.
Yup that's my understanding. That's why I think it's worth checking them both out.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2020

joeyluck wrote:
03 Apr 2020

Yup that's my understanding. That's why I think it's worth checking them both out.
I grabbed the Abbey version. Almost the same price as NX, and the large monitor setting is a nice addition for checking the low end. Seems very pleasing to the ear and less fatiguing when mixing on head phones for a long time. The different monitors also seems to be quite useful to use as a "virtual" way to check your mix on different monitors. Now I can quickly reference a mix in 4 ways.
* My actual monitors
* Headphones
* ARS3 small monitors (in headphones)
* ARS3 big monitors (in headphones)

PhillipOrdonez

05 Apr 2020

Boombastix wrote:
05 Apr 2020
joeyluck wrote:
03 Apr 2020

I grabbed the Abbey version. Almost the same price as NX, and the large monitor setting is a nice addition for checking the low end. Seems very pleasing to the ear and less fatiguing when mixing on head phones for a long time. The different monitors also seems to be quite useful to use as a "virtual" way to check your mix on different monitors. Now I can quickly reference a mix in 4 ways.
* My actual monitors
* Headphones
* ARS3 small monitors (in headphones)
* ARS3 big monitors (in headphones)
Nice.

I check the bass with the far setting, but tend to rely more on the mid setting for the rest. Never use the near setting. I don't use my actual monitors anymore when mixing, due too poor acoustics. Once arrangement duties are done, ARS3 takes over for the rest of the process. It's been working out great, methinks.

• Information