Question About VST Sample Content. Smartest Place To Store It?

Discuss VST stuff here!
KevTav

03 Apr 2020

Got a new Plug In Suite. VST ability. 32 and 64. Installing the VSTs in the proper folder. Works well.
But it asks me where to store the sample content. Most VSTs don't ask me this. In fact I don't remember this being asked, possibly ever.
This suite's sample content is about 25 GIGS altogether. So it's a biggy.

I am sending the sample content to my (x86) Program Files folders. But I have a sense it is not the 'smartest' location.
It's working well, but was wondering if there is a better folder on the tree to pick.

Also, the .BIN files associated with the content. Included in the zips. Any advice on the best place for THOSE?

?
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

KevTav

03 Apr 2020

P.S. I don't know why I don't remember how to go about this. I think quarantine is making me forget things I may have done many times.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

platzangst

04 Apr 2020

I guess it really depends on what you want to get out of your storage location. I tend to have my programs, when possible, store sample data to a particular folder I've designated so that I am more likely to remember where all this stuff is, should i need to access it. If the samples are only ever going to be used by a particular VST, though, and the VST always remembers where they are, this may not be as critical.

Or perhaps you're looking to optimize your machine's performance, but unless you have a separate disk drive or partition set up to handle bulk data so your main drive/partition can run your operating system unhindered, I don't think there's a whole lot you can do in that regard. If you only have the one drive, there's no particular location as far as I know that's going to give you better physical performance.

So "smartest" is somewhat dependent on intent.

xboix

04 Apr 2020

I've got a folder on the root of my J drive (a huge non-SSD disk) called vstlibs. I install the VSTs themselves onto C, the main SDD, but all the samples and libraries go on J, because SSDs are not yet big enough!

Oquasec

04 Apr 2020

idrive.com, Gdrive or onedrive.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information