Arturia V Collection...am I buying or am I crying?

Discuss VST stuff here!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2020

Right now I can get Arturia V Collection 7 for €199. I've tried it, I like it and I want it. Thing is I don't know if I should wait as folk have been saying Autumn is around time for version 8. Here's the factors both for and against:

1. I can wait as I've got loads of stuff anyway. (learned from buying Reason updates and Rigs bundles just months before new versions)
2. Version 8 probably won't be as cheap as €199.
3. It's unclear how much extra content it'll have anyway (learned from Rob Papen eXplorer bundle)

I know it's my decision...but what would you do?
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Popey
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2020

I am sorely tempted to get this too however since October last year i have been trying to actually use all the gear i have as i have bought a fair few new synths, fx etc over the last year. I'm actually doing quite well but had a little wobble and bought ovox recently.

Its ultimately your own decision but I made this choice as I was spending so much time learning/playing with new gear I wasnt actually finishing any music. It's fun but the aim for me now is to get some things of my own finished.

They are great plugins though as I have used them at a friends in stuff we have worked on.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2020

Popey wrote: ↑
29 Mar 2020
I am sorely tempted to get this too however since October last year i have been trying to actually use all the gear i have as i have bought a fair few new synths, fx etc over the last year. I'm actually doing quite well but had a little wobble and bought ovox recently.

Its ultimately your own decision but I made this choice as I was spending so much time learning/playing with new gear I wasnt actually finishing any music. It's fun but the aim for me now is to get some things of my own finished.

They are great plugins though as I have used them at a friends in stuff we have worked on.
Me too...I had a total clear out of all the REs in my rack and then downloaded a select few just to see if I could get more out of them. The synths in Arturia V though are like all the vintage synths you could ever dream of. Even though I've got the Mellotron RE for example the Arturia one is awesome. The pianos are great too. Man!!!!
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Popey
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2020

Totally agree as it is a great package and I kinda get the impression you want to buy it so if you use it you will get value regardless of if 8 comes out soon. I must admit i don't know what v collection sells for normally as just saw the Β£199 price in an email from arturia but would assume when they release new version it will cost more.

Arturia do seem to give out some good discounts through (I recall getting pigments for about Β£60 last year). I like yourself have been burnt buying things for full price and then seen them quickly sold for a lot cheaper in sales but suppose if your happy to pay and then use them a lot it is ok as you have access earlier than you would have even if it still rankles a bit when you see it. I guess your decision is either buy and enjoy now or version 8 at full price a bit later on or play long game with version 8 cheaper during a sale later on this year or next. For what's it's worth if I had the spare cash and know I would use a lot in next 6 months I may buy it now (this would be dictated by how much of a discount the Β£199 price is though)

paulred67

29 Mar 2020

I've bought Arturia V Collection 7 a few days ago for 199,- Euro (original price was 499,-). I love it so much, that I've bought Pigments 2 too. Now the question is, whether there'll be a discounted upgrade price for version 7 owners or not, once version 8 is released. Maybe someone who upgraded their products in the past could chime in.
Studio One 6, Melodyne 5 Studio, Nord Stage, Roland RD-88, VR-730, Jupiter-Xm, JD-08, Arturia V Collection X, Pigments 5, Korg Collection 3, East West Cloud, Sampletank 4, Miroslav Philharmonic 2, Syntronik, Sampletron, Hammond B-3X, Blue 3, Pianoteq.

Jackjackdaw

29 Mar 2020

I have no regrets with V collection. Although I use Reason a lot less since I got it! I don't have many Synth Re.s though, only Complex 1 and the stock. I have barely scratched the surface with all the V synths. I picked a handful to get familiar with and have a couple more handfuls to dive into in the years to come. I wouldn't worry too much about V8 there are more than enough synths already. I would hope they focus on improving Analog Lab rather than adding more.

Reminiscence

29 Mar 2020

If I had the cash floating around I'd buy it. I have Pigments already as well as Analog Lab. So I've got all the presets, just not the functionality. Oh well... :ugeek:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2020

I've had a look and here's what I'm reckoning...

1. Instruments I'd use:-

Mellotron (probably better than ReTron)
B3 (probably better than the JP one)
Synclavier
Clavinet
Farfisa
Vox Continental
Wurli
Piano

2. Instruments I might use:-

DX7 (Guess Dexed does pretty much the same thing)
Stage-73 (I'v got Radical Keys which I don't like and I've got Lounge Lizard which I love.)

3.Instruments I don't think I'd use:-

The rest of them

So with that in mind there's 8 I'd really like. That's €25 each. I'd be unlikely to buy them all at that price individually so I guess that's my answer.

Gonna keep my €200 and put it towards a Fender Jazzmaster which I certainly will get more use out of.

Edit: Forogt the Fairlight one. I like that too.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

29 Mar 2020

Congrats on your decision.

I am hoping they put their FX collection on sale soon.

Jackjackdaw

29 Mar 2020

MrFigg wrote: ↑
29 Mar 2020
I've had a look and here's what I'm reckoning...

1. Instruments I'd use:-

Mellotron (probably better than ReTron)
B3 (probably better than the JP one)
Synclavier
Clavinet
Farfisa
Vox Continental
Wurli
Piano

2. Instruments I might use:-

DX7 (Guess Dexed does pretty much the same thing)
Stage-73 (I'v got Radical Keys which I don't like and I've got Lounge Lizard which I love.)

3.Instruments I don't think I'd use:-

The rest of them

So with that in mind there's 8 I'd really like. That's €25 each. I'd be unlikely to buy them all at that price individually so I guess that's my answer.

Gonna keep my €200 and put it towards a Fender Jazzmaster which I certainly will get more use out of.

Edit: Forogt the Fairlight one. I like that too.
Probably a wise choice. If you have a load of stuff already then this will be overkill.

motuscott

29 Mar 2020

I know nothing about these plugs but +1 on the Jazzmaster.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? πŸ§‚

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2020

motuscott wrote: ↑
29 Mar 2020
Yeah...except one word...Jaguar.
I can NEVER decide which. Kind of leaning towards the Jag.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

tallguy

30 Mar 2020

Don't overlook the synths that aren't on your list. For a long time, I didn't get the CS-80. Then I watched the Dave Spiers video and now it's quickly becoming one of my favourites.

My point is, having the bundle also opens the doors to discovering instruments you didn't think were that interesting at first.

Loque

30 Mar 2020

29 Mar 2020
motuscott wrote: ↑
29 Mar 2020
Yeah...except one word...Jaguar.
I can NEVER decide which. Kind of leaning towards the Jag.
Throw in AnalogLab and look for a patch.
Reason12, Win10

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

31 Mar 2020

We've had V Collection since V3, and thoroughly enjoying V7 with it's advancements, plus got a nice voucher during a sale to get Pigments 2 as a 'crossgrade' for being a loyal customer. These go in hand with the effects too (got all those too), so we've got a lot of bases covered.

The thing is with Arturia loyalty program, they hold the loyalty until you're ready to buy which is really cool.

CS80 is definitely up there with the best of them (been dabbling with a Roli Seaboard Block to get the MPE effect), and Pigments we're slowily exploring coming from a Xfer Serum angle (since similar concepts plus they both MPE support too so.. win win).

Jupiter 8 is tasty.. remember this from Reason 4 days, where it would simply cain the CPU hard as a standalone... when it was a single instrument to buy.. but now since computer tech has increased so far in the timeframe since R4, it's a joy to play with.

SEM to us has the MS20 sort of appeal, very chunky sounds and great at it too. We've got the MS20 VST as well (Korg Collection, without Triton).

Matrix-12 is a beast we've yet to dive into but looks very interesting.

And that's just scratching the surface. The keys which are in the V Collection are awesome sounding, very smoky jazz bar. Mellotron does have some killer functions sunch as "In addition to bringing vintage essence, Mellotron V allows you to play your own samples through this iconic tape-replay engine". That alone is a game changer giving you the Mellotron function with your own sounds. Can't get better than that ioo.

Add these to the effects bundle they've done (yep we have all those too) and seriously good fun exploring sounds with a hint of a high quality TAE electronics emulation we enjoy every time we fire up any of the units.

Serious investment - hours/days/weeks *(delete where applicable) of fun.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

31 Mar 2020

tallguy wrote: ↑
30 Mar 2020
Don't overlook the synths that aren't on your list. For a long time, I didn't get the CS-80. Then I watched the Dave Spiers video and now it's quickly becoming one of my favourites.

My point is, having the bundle also opens the doors to discovering instruments you didn't think were that interesting at first.
And yep that vidoe is killer too

tallguy

31 Mar 2020

LABONERECORDINGS wrote: ↑
31 Mar 2020
And yep, that video is killer too
Once you get over the whole CS-80 = Vangelis thing, you realise how amazing that synth is

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

No no no no no....stop stop atop. I need reasons why NOT to buy it now hahahahaha. Man, I'm all confused. I already made a Fender Jag savings account and put the €199 right in there. A goal. A purpose. And now it's all disintegrating around me. I do absolutely love that B3 though I have to admit. Gaaaaah!!!!
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

tallguy

31 Mar 2020

31 Mar 2020
No no no no no....stop stop atop. I need reasons why NOT to buy it now hahahahaha. Man, I'm all confused. I already made a Fender Jag savings account and put the €199 right in there. A goal. A purpose. And now it's all disintegrating around me. I do absolutely love that B3 though I have to admit. Gaaaaah!!!!
Huh? I thought you already decided on it but were wavering between V7 now or V8 later.

Either way, if you get V7 now, you'll have years of sonic discovery before you. But of course, I'm not the guardian of your bank account.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

31 Mar 2020
31 Mar 2020
Huh? I thought you already decided on it but were wavering between V7 now or V8 later.

Either way, if you get V7 now, you'll have years of sonic discovery before you. But of course, I'm not the guardian of your bank account.
See my reasoning and explanation for not buying above :)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

tallguy

31 Mar 2020

31 Mar 2020
I noticed you wrote a different answer a minute ago. But I get it, when companies do these time limited sales, you feel the pressure and start wavering. That's why they do it of course.

No harm in waiting for the next sale. Arturia do sales often enough that you won't have to wait years once you've got the funds.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

31 Mar 2020
31 Mar 2020
I noticed you wrote a different answer a minute ago. But I get it, when companies do these time limited sales, you feel the pressure and start wavering. That's why they do it of course.

No harm in waiting for the next sale. Arturia do sales often enough that you won't have to wait years once you've got the funds.
Hahaha. Yeah i wrote a different answer But the situation changed again. Seems i change my mind more often than I change my underpants.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

tallguy

31 Mar 2020

31 Mar 2020
Hahaha. Yeah i wrote a different answer But the situation changed again. Seems i change my mind more often than I change my underpants.
OK, that's a clear sign that you shouldn't be buying the Collection right now. Best to wait. Like I said, the next sale is never more than a few months away.

Jackjackdaw

31 Mar 2020

I went through same cold sweats, on the fence, should I shouldn't I before I got it as well. In the end I have no regrets buying it but I resent them for making me feel that way with the hard sell. Any way, that last sale was only 6 months ago so I expect they will do it again.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote: ↑
31 Mar 2020
I went through same cold sweats, on the fence, should I shouldn't I before I got it as well. In the end I have no regrets buying it but I resent them for making me feel that way with the hard sell. Any way, that last sale was only 6 months ago so I expect they will do it again.
They'll no doubt do it with 8 as well...so then we'll get to wonder whether to buy it or wait for 9 hahahaha.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

• Information