Question on Ueberschall Elastik Player

Discuss VST stuff here!
bigguy1

28 Mar 2020

Hi there!

At the moment I am playing around with Ueberschall Elastik. The player ist free, only the loop packs are payed. But there is a demo pack.

There is this nice feature called Retune. It allows you to automatically adapt the sample to a specific key and scale. So for example you have your song in C major and the sample is in F major you can "retune" the sample to C major. I am playing around with this but what I missing right now is how to find out which key and scale a sample has. There is a naming scheme to every sample, e.g.

Code: Select all

06bss084_CL2_sleepless_g#_1
What I found out so far:
  • 06: number of this sample in the current folder
  • bss: instrument category (here Bass)
  • 084: BPM
  • CL2: loop pack identifier
  • sleepless: name of the "construction kit"
  • g#: the key and scale of the sample
  • 1: part of the construction kit
So concerning the key of the sample, I guess capital letters refer to major scales and small letters to minor scales. Taking this thought, I am activating Retune for that sample for the scale of g# minor. This should not convert the sample in my understanding. But it does sound different when activating and deactivating Retune.

What is the error here? Anybody knows?

Cheers Flo

Boombastix
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2020

Search YouTube for tutorials. Elastik is too complicated to explain in a simple post. I struggled with it as well. But I know the Zplane algo well enough to say that retuning from major to minor does not sound good. Retuning from maj to maj, or min to min with Zplane sounds fantastic though, best in the biz. To change a min to maj you need the Melodyne with DNA, it sounds good enough. But Melodyne is far inferior to Zplane if you need to retune a whole chord loop more than two semi tones.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

bigguy1

29 Mar 2020

Thanks for your answer.

I already watched the tutorials on youtube concerning retune. I think I get it.

I am wondering about the fact, that the sound changes if I retune the sample to the scale in which the sample is. Any hint on that?

Boombastix
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2020

bigguy1 wrote:
29 Mar 2020
Thanks for your answer.

I already watched the tutorials on youtube concerning retune. I think I get it.

I am wondering about the fact, that the sound changes if I retune the sample to the scale in which the sample is. Any hint on that?
The Retune tries to correct the notes to fit the scale, but it will not repitch the whole chord, you need to do that in Pitch window. So if you want a Cm to become a D Maj, you need to pitch up 2 (it will then be a Dm), and set Retune to D Maj so it corrects the third (it will then be a D Maj). That's how I remember it.

bigguy1

30 Mar 2020

Thanx for the clarification in combination with repitch. But I am wondering about something else.

Imagine like in my example above:
I have a sample in g# minor. I am loading this in one of the slots. Then I configure retune for that sample to the same g# minor key and scale as the sample. Why is the sound changing? As far as I understand it should not change, because key and scale of the sample and the retune configuration is the same.

Sorry for my lack of ability to describe what I mean.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2020

I don't know it well enough to of more help. Check if there is an Uberschall forum that can help, or at KVR maybe?

• Information