Anyone try Obscurium in Reason?

Discuss VST stuff here!
platzangst

26 Mar 2020

Just saw this thing:

https://sugar-bytes.de/obscurium

And it looks kinda interesting - but I notice that it apparently has the ability to host VST plugins inside itself.

In just the short bit of looking around I've done, I'm not sure if that can only be done in the standalone version, or if the VST version itself can host VSTs within, but I guess what I'd really like to know is: if the latter is true, how well does that work (if at all) inside Reason? So if you have any experience with this thing in Reason, please share.

Despondo
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2020

I have it and it is great for ambient morphing type sounds.

platzangst

28 Mar 2020

Despondo wrote:
27 Mar 2020
And how does the VST-in-a-VST thing work for you? Or do you only use the built-in generators?

olive6741

28 Mar 2020

platzangst wrote:
28 Mar 2020
Despondo wrote:
27 Mar 2020
And how does the VST-in-a-VST thing work for you? Or do you only use the built-in generators?
I have it. It's great. On the VST side, it depends. Problem is it needs VST expose presets to Obscurium. If not, everytime it loads a VST, it starts on the default preset. But there is a workaround: if you load as VST Metaplugin from DDMF, then a loaded VST inside it stays like it was when used in Obscurium (and parameters of a VST inside Metaplugin can be exposed, so control possible). Problem: Metaplugin isn't free (but not too expensive either). But I'm quite sure Kushview Element (which is free and open source now) gives same result. I can explain how I setup this if you want.

But Obscurium, even without use of VST inside it is great, for sure!

platzangst

28 Mar 2020

olive6741 wrote:
28 Mar 2020

I have it. It's great. On the VST side, it depends. Problem is it needs VST expose presets to Obscurium. If not, everytime it loads a VST, it starts on the default preset.
Do you mean that it won't save the parameters in a song file? If, for example, I make a patch from scratch or alter an existing patch but don't save it as a new patch, will those settings be remembered when I save the file in Reason and open it later? Or will it go to the default no matter what?

I did look at a number of videos before posting, simply because hosting the VSTs inside other VSTs seemed to me like it could be a recipe for conflicts and instability. So I did see a guy using a plug-in and opening its main panel inside Obscurium, and I assume someone could select presets there if not specifically through an Obscurium menu. As long as I can close a file and open it and have everything be the same, I'm fine with that, but if some VSTs will just lose all those changes, that's a bit disappointing.

olive6741

28 Mar 2020

platzangst wrote:
28 Mar 2020
olive6741 wrote:
28 Mar 2020

I have it. It's great. On the VST side, it depends. Problem is it needs VST expose presets to Obscurium. If not, everytime it loads a VST, it starts on the default preset.
Do you mean that it won't save the parameters in a song file? If, for example, I make a patch from scratch or alter an existing patch but don't save it as a new patch, will those settings be remembered when I save the file in Reason and open it later? Or will it go to the default no matter what?

I did look at a number of videos before posting, simply because hosting the VSTs inside other VSTs seemed to me like it could be a recipe for conflicts and instability. So I did see a guy using a plug-in and opening its main panel inside Obscurium, and I assume someone could select presets there if not specifically through an Obscurium menu. As long as I can close a file and open it and have everything be the same, I'm fine with that, but if some VSTs will just lose all those changes, that's a bit disappointing.
Yes I had this problem. When reopening the song, state of VST was lost. At least with AAS Ultra Analog VA-2 and Chromaphone. I was disappointed ;) . Then I found a workaround.
But maybe other people are more successful?

Despondo
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2020

olive6741 wrote:
28 Mar 2020
But there is a workaround: if you load as VST Metaplugin from DDMF, then a loaded VST inside it stays like it was when used in Obscurium (and parameters of a VST inside Metaplugin can be exposed, so control possible).
I do the same with Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/

• Information