VST Control Mappings

Discuss VST stuff here!
glitch620

13 Mar 2020

Sorry if this is a common thing and I didn't see the post!

The set up: Running Reason 11.2, Atruria KeyLab Essential 61 contoller, Arturia V Collection, other misc VST instruments and effects.

So, why is that the knobs and sliders on my controller work with the Reason native instruments (Thor, Subtractor, etc.) but don't do a thing without explicit mapping in my VSTs?
I've tried the VSTs both stand-alone and in other apps like Cantabile and the control surface inputs work in the VSTs as expected, so this seems to be a Reason specific issue.

Is there any way to set up mappings so that each VST automatically recognizes a mapping whenever it's used?
Is there some setting that I'm missing that's blocking the control surface inputs from reaching the VSTs without mapping?

Cheers!

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

13 Mar 2020

What control surface are you using? That helps determine a couple of options. if Novation Remotes, you can Automap-wrap the VSTs (which pulls a lot of controls into an Automap templte, which may need editing to your liking).

Do that here with Novaton Remote Zero and Remote 49 (the Mk1s since they have double LED readouts). Works really well, pretty smart - plus the automap wrapped version works in other DAWs as well so you can keep the same mappings or edit them and 'set as default' so your over-written template is brought up instead of the 'default Automap' version

glitch620

03 Apr 2020

Unfortunately (so it seems) I bought a Arturia KeyLab 61 Essential (good price, good software included) and then bought Reason 11 Suite not realizing that there was no real support for my 'board. So I have to load the Mackie control surface up in Reason along with the regular Arturia 61 key and it mostly works, however the control surface mapping of DAW functions breaks a lot - which is totally not surprising considering the mishmash of control maps in play.

Thanks for the reply.

• Information