PheonixVerb by iZotope, $10 at PiB

Discuss VST stuff here!
hurricane
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2020

joeyluck wrote:
01 Apr 2020
Maybe they'll also update the browsers (I'd like to scroll presets rather than jumping to the browser to select a patch every time).
You can scroll through presets with the arrow keys. Up/down moves between categories. L/R lets you navigate presets within categories.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

02 Apr 2020

hurricane wrote:
02 Apr 2020
joeyluck wrote:
01 Apr 2020
Maybe they'll also update the browsers (I'd like to scroll presets rather than jumping to the browser to select a patch every time).
You can scroll through presets with the arrow keys. Up/down moves between categories. L/R lets you navigate presets within categories.
Oh hmmm. I couldn't get that to work before—using the arrow keys was what I instinctively tried. But it's working, so I must've been doing something wrong!

EdGrip

02 Apr 2020

Ah man, I'm annoyed I missed PhoenixVerb at that price!
EA is Michael Carnes, ex-Lexington and legend within algorithmic reverb design. These are Very Good reverbs. I didn't know they'd been bought by Izotope. Maybe this means he's designing izotope-branded reverbs?

PhoenixVerb is "natural" rooms/halls/plates for subtle and/or realistic duties. R2 and R4 are the big "character" reverbs. Let me know when those go on sale!

hurricane
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2020

I'm waiting for an R2 sale. And yeah, I'd like Izotope need to know that I have two EA products in case they want to offer me some enticing upgrades.

I thought I was aware of every plugin that was out there, but I've never heard of (or most likely never paid attention to) Michael Carnes' plugins until the Phoenixverb sale. I am really loving his stuff so far.

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

02 Apr 2020

So I heard back from iZotope today...

They are aware of the bug where PhoenixVerb is routed mono by default. They say that it is specific to Reason and that they are working with Reason Studios to get it fixed. I did test it in Logic and Bitwig and it does behave properly in those.

In terms of the time it takes to open Excalibur, they mention that they have only performed compatibility updates and that the plugins are not quite up to speed with the optimization and performance that other iZotope products have, but that there is lots in the works.

So that's great news :)

hurricane
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2020

Nice!
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

02 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
02 Apr 2020
I'm waiting for an R2 sale.
Hey I just saw this...

R2 Stereo Crossgrade from PhoenixVerb or Excalibur
$29.85

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... -Excalibur

Not sure it will come down to $9.99 like PhoenixVerb Stereo (reg. $99) and Excalibur (reg. $149)
Regular price of R2 Stereo is $199...

I'm thinking about it. I have to research the differences between R2 and PhoenixVerb (which I really like). It seems the way they differentiate them is that PhoenixVerb is more natural and R2 is considered a character reverb. I typically lean towards the more natural.

One selling point is the free Accusonus ERA 4 Voice Leveler with any purchase. https://www.pluginboutique.com/articles/1597

hurricane
Competition Winner

03 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
02 May 2020

Hey I just saw this...

R2 Stereo Crossgrade from PhoenixVerb or Excalibur
$29.85

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... -Excalibur
Argh! Thanks!

"Dropping R2 into a mix it becomes apparent that R2 is very much cast in the Lexicon mould, conjuring up rich, dark reverbs. Given this genesis, it's no surprise that many of the presets deliver predictably Lexicon-esque sounds - large Halls and Chambers abound, but at a lower price-point and without the multiple plugin loading hassles of the Lexicon PCM Native bundle."
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

03 May 2020

So I just researched this a bit, and it appears that R2 is the little brother of R4, and it's supposed to sound different to its upgraded and more feature rich sibling, however the difference in sound is minimal. R4 contains all of R2's presets, but the developer says they don't sound exactly the same (there's a "little difference"). So considering that in all probability we'll be seeing R4 drastically discounted in the future, I'm now going to wait for an R4 sale because it is basically the R2 with more features.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

03 May 2020

hurricane wrote:
03 May 2020
So I just researched this a bit, and it appears that R2 is the little brother of R4, and it's supposed to sound different to its upgraded and more feature rich sibling, however the difference in sound is minimal. R4 contains all of R2's presets, but the developer says they don't sound exactly the same (there's a "little difference"). So considering that in all probability we'll be seeing R4 drastically discounted in the future, I'm now going to wait for an R4 sale because it is basically the R2 with more features.
Yeah it seems like R4 is to R2 as Nimbus is to PhoenixVerb? I'm pretty happy with PhoenixVerb (aside from the Reason bug).

I listened to some examples of ERA Voice Leveler, and it's not transparent sounding like Waves Vocal Rider—it sounds like compression. So that didn't sway me to make a purchase in order to get it for free.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 May 2020

joeyluck wrote:
03 May 2020
hurricane wrote:
03 May 2020
Yeah it seems like R4 is to R2 as Nimbus is to PhoenixVerb? I'm pretty happy with PhoenixVerb (aside from the Reason bug).

I listened to some examples of ERA Voice Leveler, and it's not transparent sounding like Waves Vocal Rider—it sounds like compression. So that didn't sway me to make a purchase in order to get it for free.
Oh crap, I thought it was gonna be like Vocal Rider. Hmmm, have you compared Selig Leveler vs Vocal Rider? I guess they use different methods, but maybe end result is similar. I have the one from Selig already.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 May 2020

That Selig Curve RE is one of the best devices ever ever in my opinion.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

03 May 2020

Boombastix wrote:
03 May 2020
joeyluck wrote:
03 May 2020

Oh crap, I thought it was gonna be like Vocal Rider. Hmmm, have you compared Selig Leveler vs Vocal Rider? I guess they use different methods, but maybe end result is similar. I have the one from Selig already.
They are different.

• Information