Genesis Pro, a promising new synth out in Feb 2020

Discuss VST stuff here!
WongoTheSane
Moderator
Posts: 1819
Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Location: Paris, France

Post 02 Feb 2020



tl;dr: 3 osc, several synthesis modes, each knob has parameters, and it'll be... 1€!

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 2760
Joined: 23 Feb 2017

Post 02 Feb 2020

Yea that sounds amazing :D
Image

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 1084
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 02 Feb 2020

aeox wrote: ↑
02 Feb 2020
Yea that sounds amazing :D
... and like a huge CPU hog.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7786
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 02 Feb 2020

Looks interesting. While i didnt really saw anything really revolutionary or heard any special character, i would considere to buy it for 1€.

While the dev shown the synths diagram to impress ppl, i just saw an imense bug potential πŸ˜‚.

Well, as soon as its out and some more Info than the video is available, we will see.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 1084
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 02 Feb 2020

Loque wrote: ↑
02 Feb 2020
Well, as soon as its out and some more Info than the video is available, we will see.
I've found some more info on it here: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535754
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7786
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 02 Feb 2020

jam-s wrote: ↑
02 Feb 2020
Loque wrote: ↑
02 Feb 2020
Well, as soon as its out and some more Info than the video is available, we will see.
I've found some more info on it here: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535754
Yes, thanks. I found it too and read and also skipped the usual KVR comments 😝

A lot of questions there too and not enough answers...

I found an older release which looked like crap and smelled like SynthEdit.

Here is the homepage:
https://www.oz-soft.com/
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

WongoTheSane
Moderator
Posts: 1819
Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Location: Paris, France

Post 03 Feb 2020

Loque wrote: ↑
02 Feb 2020
Looks interesting. While i didnt really saw anything really revolutionary or heard any special character, i would considere to buy it for 1€.

While the dev shown the synths diagram to impress ppl, i just saw an imense bug potential πŸ˜‚.

Well, as soon as its out and some more Info than the video is available, we will see.
What bug was it? I skipped some parts of the video but from what I've seen, I assumed he prototyped it in Reaktor and then probably had someone to code it from that (or SynthEdit it, as you say).

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 1679
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 03 Feb 2020

The patch randomization is clever and seems useful.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Steedus
Posts: 376
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Melbourne, AU

Post 04 Feb 2020

Looks interesting for 1 euro. But it sounds like people think it may be PC only/32 bit which would rule it out for me.

Also - *slides tin foil hat on surreptitiously* - I'm dubious about the analytics gathering and the price. Could this be some kind of trojan device to collect user data for future marketing/products?

Reminiscence
Posts: 145
Joined: 31 May 2016

Post 05 Feb 2020

Steedus wrote: ↑
04 Feb 2020
Looks interesting for 1 euro. But it sounds like people think it may be PC only/32 bit which would rule it out for me.

Also - *slides tin foil hat on surreptitiously* - I'm dubious about the analytics gathering and the price. Could this be some kind of trojan device to collect user data for future marketing/products?
Well luckily it's not freeware. :ugeek:

I reckon, as far as I understand, that the creator wants to perhaps, hypothetically speaking, create the illusion that music software, in general, is overpriced, when you can get quality software for free or even really cheap. :lol:

I haven't checked it out and won't. I have enough instruments to play with.

tibah
Posts: 900
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 05 Feb 2020

Genesis standard is on every issue of CM magazines cover dvd, or now download portal and I believe I first tried it in 2011. Seems "pro" is an overhaul. And yes this is SynthEdit.

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 1679
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 05 Feb 2020

tibah wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2020
Genesis standard is on every issue of CM magazines cover dvd, or now download portal and I believe I first tried it in 2011. Seems "pro" is an overhaul. And yes this is SynthEdit.
I thought Synthedit died because it couldn't do 64bit, no?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

DonnieAlan
Posts: 254
Joined: 25 Jan 2017

Post 06 Feb 2020

I've been waiting for this one for a long, LONG time! I've used Genesis for years. Its a great VI synth. This one promises so much more. Can't wait to see it, hear it, and use it!

danc
Posts: 517
Joined: 14 Oct 2016

Post 07 Feb 2020

Boombastix wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2020
tibah wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2020
Genesis standard is on every issue of CM magazines cover dvd, or now download portal and I believe I first tried it in 2011. Seems "pro" is an overhaul. And yes this is SynthEdit.
I thought Synthedit died because it couldn't do 64bit, no?
32bit and 64bit versions are available.... https://www.synthedit.com/downloads/
Creating, producing and mastering music in Reason 11 and Studio One 5 (WIndows).


enossified
Posts: 70
Joined: 15 Aug 2016

Post 07 Feb 2020

But still Windows only? Too bad, I'm on Mac. I hope he sells enough to pay for that video production ;)

scratchnsnifff
Posts: 1421
Joined: 21 Sep 2016

Post 09 Feb 2020

enossified wrote: ↑
07 Feb 2020
But still Windows only? Too bad, I'm on Mac. I hope he sells enough to pay for that video production ;)
Can anyone confirm if it is windows only?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Steedus
Posts: 376
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Melbourne, AU

Post 09 Feb 2020

There another video out showing some of the presets. Doesn't look like there's that many for each category judging from the video, but I found it a little strange that when he changed the skin back the the default one, a sound effect plays and a voice says "The force is with you". Firstly I have to ask why? But he looks surprised as well, and says "oh cool, that's a good thing I guess." Odd reaction to something you'd think he'd know like the back of his hand.

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 839
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 09 Feb 2020

Quite honestly I'm shocked at the behavior of so many people's comments around this pending release on Youtube and that shithole of a forum KVR.

"The color scheme sucks" - yet there are skin options available.

**"Its only going to be 32 bit" - we do not know that (UPDATE: We do know - see below from his statement from 4 hours ago)

**"It's not for Mac" - we do not know that

"Why is it only 1 EUR - they must be collecting data" - Nope, he has stated that the only collecting is diagnostic, for the user, and offline.

While I have never heard of Ummet Ozcan (I'm much older than his typical audience, and besides have never been into that high energy dance party stuff), Forbes magazine has suggested that he is worth many, many millions of dollars. Is it so hard to imagine that a person might want to give something back ? He's stated as such in a video, that he learned a lot through the years through electronic music communities and felt this was an opportunity for him to pay it forward. It's a bit sad that many people don't realize that the concept of giving can often be as rewarding as taking / profiting.

And people suggesting "it must be 32 bit because he's using synthedit' - isn't it possible that he's developed the framework to a DSP developer as a guideline to code it from scratch? I don't know jack about coding, but even some of the well regarded Rack Extension Developers use others to get their plugins released. I won't name them, but they've made no secret of it in forum posts. The surprising reaction to the voice played on a skin change may be nothing more than a pre-release easter egg that his developer added for a bit of a laugh, which might validate that someone else has built it under his design specs.

For a successful artist with a rumored $100M, even if he spent $10k for a developer, a 3D graphic designer and a video editor, it's really just pocket change - and it gets his name out there, and for marketing purposes it builds a very targeted email list, which is worth a lot. But from his demeanor, I'm not even sure this is the angle. Instead I think thins is his way of having a legacy, and giving back. There's something floating around in the trashy section of the news lately about a group of very rich businessmen challenging each other as to who can leave the biggest tip for a random waitress where they dine. All over the world, from people of every income bracket are acting with selfless, open-hearted generosity, with no expectation of a return, because they understand that giving is often a reward in itself.

Since Genesis Pro seems like a labor of love, rather than a business strategy, can we put a price on the time he has spent ? He doesn't think so. He is not in the business of plugins. And for the money he may have spend on a developer and designer, it wouldn't be a stretch that he'll at least break even at 1EUR. Some have voiced that they're going to buy multiple versions just to say thanks, and even myself, although not a virtual synth junkie nor much of a VST collector, will also try and get 5x 1EUR to him, to reflect the respect I have for what he's doing here, even though I am out of work and dirt poor.

But who knows - maybe it will be 32 bit, Windows only and collects data. Is that something for anyone to get upset about and voice their rage at a guy who's doing something out of kindness ?

**UPDATE from 4 hours ago: It is 32 Bit after all. Here's a comment from the wonderful Mr Ozcan:

To answer one of the most frequently asked question whether the Genesis Pro is 32 or 64 bit, for now it's 32bit and Windows only. I know, I would have seen it differently as well. The project has become so huge and complex over time that it is not easy to port it to 64bit/Mac. Having that said it's not impossible and I am checking all the possibilities.

I started this project 8 years ago with my passion for sound, synthesis and with the ambition to share my creation, my knowledge with as many people as possible.

Nonetheless I still hope that the Genesis Pro can help you with your creative process.
Last edited by Proboscis on 09 Feb 2020, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 839
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 09 Feb 2020

PS: The thing Steedus is referring to can be heard at around 8:50 of this video. Later on at 11:00 when he switches again, the words don't play, so it must only be when reverting back to the original GUI. No big deal IMO, personally I like the default skin, but if I didn't it's not as if one is changing skins regularly.


User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7786
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 09 Feb 2020

32 bit? Elvis has left the thread....
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

WongoTheSane
Moderator
Posts: 1819
Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Location: Paris, France

Post 09 Feb 2020

32 bits only? Should be 50 cents.

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 839
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 09 Feb 2020

So I hear talk of a 'bridge' which I assume to be a 64 bit wrapper to hold 32 bit VST's. Is this something that creates a burden on Reason, or any other DAW that doesn't support 32 bit ? Does Reason even allow for a wrapper?

This certainly does change the offering, if it's limited to only a few DAWs having 32 bit support.

I've seen comments that state that Cubase doesn't support, nor FL Studio. We can add Logic to that list of incompatibilities, and I'm currently reading a help topic that Ableton Live 10 is also 64 bit, and requires j-bridge, and Cakewalk requires BitBridge.

Do ANY DAWs allow native execution of 32 bit anymore ? Perhaps there is no commercial market for a $100+ 32 bit synth in 2020

It doesn't make this guy's actions any less awesome though. He's spend many years on this, and sharing it with the world. I guess technology raced ahead of him in the process.

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 839
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 09 Feb 2020

WongoTheSane wrote: ↑
09 Feb 2020
32 bits only? Should be 50 cents.
I can spot you the other 50c if you're struggling, bro. :lol:

User avatar
platzangst
Posts: 612
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 10 Feb 2020

Proboscis wrote: ↑
09 Feb 2020
Do ANY DAWs allow native execution of 32 bit anymore ?
The last time I checked (which was quite some time ago, admittedly) the 64-bit version of Reaper would run 32-bit VSTs. I think some sort of bridge was involved, but it was an internal system in Reaper, you didn't need to install anything to make it work. Haven't updated Reaper or even run it, frankly, since Reason got VST support, so couldn't say what the most current version does.

realson
Posts: 16
Joined: 28 Dec 2019

Post 10 Feb 2020

I don't understand why complaining in front of such a low price !!! 1 euro, had it cost much more would have been a more sensible speech, but 1 euro only !!! ... how many you spend a day maybe for a coffee that is eventually lost in the stomach.

this synth is the result of years of work (and I consider it a fantastic job even if I don't know the synthedit platform, it looks like a well-kept synth both in sound and graphics, maybe I've already seen other works done with the synthedit but nothing that comes close to a vst synth that looks like it's done in another language)

I was able to try the first version of the Genesis CM and it is a fantastic free synth, already from this version we can see that the project promised well.

the 32bit, and the incompatibility with the Mac, surely when the synth will be released and the success it deserves, because it deserves all its access for this synth, (for the honest price) it will certainly also update the vst both in 64bit than for Mac

from the video you can see the initial project and it seems like an infinite wiring, converting it to 64bit is certainly not a simple thing if it confirms that it is only 32bit, certain if the synth once made available is in great demand, as I said above, it will certainly provide to make it current for all 64bit platforms and operating systems.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests