Waves Ovox (Vocal Synth)

Discuss VST stuff here!
Boombastix
Competition Winner

01 Feb 2020

Yonatan wrote:
01 Feb 2020

Yes, every time a big player releases something called "Vox" or "Vocal" I keep my fingers crossed that it will be actual useful and not just another Vocoder style of effects deluxe. I think much of those synth vox style is handled good inside of Reason already.
Well, speed and workflow matters to me. The Ovox had drag n drop modulation and modulation sources not seen before.

You can certainly build up fun a complex Reason Combinators, but sometimes you may realize you spent an hour to get something, or you got nothing useful, a well integrated plugin can get to that point in 10min.

Also the ease of drag n drop may inspire you to try things because it is so fast. To pick REs and wire up CV and audio for a test is sometimes too cumbersome and I skip it altogether.

And you're back to creating music faster, it is value in that as well.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Yonatan

01 Feb 2020

Boombastix wrote:
01 Feb 2020
Yonatan wrote:
01 Feb 2020

Yes, every time a big player releases something called "Vox" or "Vocal" I keep my fingers crossed that it will be actual useful and not just another Vocoder style of effects deluxe. I think much of those synth vox style is handled good inside of Reason already.
Well, speed and workflow matters to me. The Ovox had drag n drop modulation and modulation sources not seen before.

You can certainly build up fun a complex Reason Combinators, but sometimes you may realize you spent an hour to get something, or you got nothing useful, a well integrated plugin can get to that point in 10min.

Also the ease of drag n drop may inspire you to try things because it is so fast. To pick REs and wire up CV and audio for a test is sometimes too cumbersome and I skip it altogether.

I understand the value of a quicker workflow with things like this. I don´t hesitate myself to buy plugins that really brings more directness that saves time to experiment and work more with other things instead.
In this case here, It is more that I want something that covers also more realistic effects on the voice., as well as the more vocoder and synth style effects. But I will probably try this one out or at least look at some tutorial to see what it brings to the table. :) Is it Antares that one should look at för more realistic stuff or other brands?
There is some hardwares out there but plugins I have not seen enough.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 Feb 2020

Yonatan wrote:
01 Feb 2020
Boombastix wrote:
01 Feb 2020

I understand the value of a quicker workflow with things like this. I don´t hesitate myself to buy plugins that really brings more directness that saves time to experiment and work more with other things instead.
In this case here, It is more that I want something that covers also more realistic effects on the voice., as well as the more vocoder and synth style effects. But I will probably try this one out or at least look at some tutorial to see what it brings to the table. :) Is it Antares that one should look at för more realistic stuff or other brands?
There is some hardwares out there but plugins I have not seen enough.
If you just need tuning you have Waves Real-Tune (it is great), or Antares Auto-tune (also great), but their $99 entry level is too limited. Non-real time tuning you have the Reason sequencer, it is OK on vocals and basic tuning. More features, non-realtime, you have Melodyne and Auto-tune Pro.

For synthesis you have (some examples):
Neptune
Ovox
Vocal Synth 2
Bitspeek

It is very common to dub the voice with a vocal synth in modern pop music. Sometimes also do vocoded chords.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2020

Just a heads up. Waves has a special now, $20 off, so you can grab Ovox for $50. Add a coupon and it is $45. A couple of plugin stores give you 10% off automatically, BestService I think.

Many new presets by famous producers. 2 or 3 packs so far, separate downloads.
I need to spend some time to figure this thing out, and what it can do that my VocalSynth 2 cannot. Just too busy right now. Also compare it to ordinary vocoders.

KozmikWaveProds

09 Mar 2020

Hello All,

I am new to Reason Talk,

I recently purchased Waves Ovox and I also have Vocal Synth 2. Both are solid plugins. I have Reason 10 and I have attempted to use Ovox to create a midi instrument. I was able to create the midi instrument after sourcing info from the internet and Youtube. I found this video (see link below) on Youtube for how to use Ovox as a midi controller. I don't necessarily want to do that but I would like to know if anyone else who has purchase Ovox has figured out how to route a channel as a sidechain to trigger Ovox. If you watch the video, at the 5:58 time stamp he sidechains the vocal audio channel to Ovox and then routes the input of the instrument (midi instrument) channel to Ovox. I figured out how to create the midi instrument channel in Reason which was no small feat, but I cannot figure out how to route the vocal audio channel to Ovox in order to have it trigger sidechain. There is a "route to" option available when you click on the channel and then go to the edit page but it only routes to "new buss, or all mix channels", not the desired channel. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thank you in advance for your feedback

Koz

jam-s

10 Mar 2020

KozmikWaveProds wrote:
09 Mar 2020
Hello All,

I am new to Reason Talk,

I recently purchased Waves Ovox and I also have Vocal Synth 2. Both are solid plugins. I have Reason 10 and I have attempted to use Ovox to create a midi instrument. I was able to create the midi instrument after sourcing info from the internet and Youtube. I found this video (see link below) on Youtube for how to use Ovox as a midi controller. I don't necessarily want to do that but I would like to know if anyone else who has purchase Ovox has figured out how to route a channel as a sidechain to trigger Ovox. If you watch the video, at the 5:58 time stamp he sidechains the vocal audio channel to Ovox and then routes the input of the instrument (midi instrument) channel to Ovox. I figured out how to create the midi instrument channel in Reason which was no small feat, but I cannot figure out how to route the vocal audio channel to Ovox in order to have it trigger sidechain. There is a "route to" option available when you click on the channel and then go to the edit page but it only routes to "new buss, or all mix channels", not the desired channel. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thank you in advance for your feedback

Koz
In Reason you do it like this:
1. create an AudioTrack and put/record your vocals there
2. Put Ovox into the insert FX slot of the AudioTrack
3. Right-click the Ovox vst device in the Rack and select "create sequencer track"
4. In this new sequencer track you can play/record midi notes to control ovox. (You might have to right click to create a new note lane in the sequencer track as well).

Pretty straight forward, I think.

EDIT: Well, that's for normal operation only. For the sidechain input you would have to open the CV programmer on the VST rack device and then on the back an additional input should be lit green. But (as I just checked) it does not show up, so the sidechain input seems to be not recognised by reason. And without input there's no chance to get an additional signal to the plug-in.
I think a bugreport to both Waves and Reasonstudios might help in getting this fixed.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2020

Whoa, Ovox just got midi out. Not that Reason gives us VST midi out, but if you do a work around or use another DAW.

You can now sing a melody, and have Ovox create chords (or monophonic) and play any VSTi. It also does time quantize. This can be really interesting for testing new ideas.

donbosi

27 Mar 2020

Hi! Could you share your workaround? Is it possible to get the midi notes out somehow? Or what do you mean with workaround? Thanks!
Boombastix wrote:
24 Mar 2020
Whoa, Ovox just got midi out. Not that Reason gives us VST midi out, but if you do a work around or use another DAW.

You can now sing a melody, and have Ovox create chords (or monophonic) and play any VSTi. It also does time quantize. This can be really interesting for testing new ideas.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2020

donbosi wrote:
27 Mar 2020
Hi! Could you share your workaround? Is it possible to get the midi notes out somehow? Or what do you mean with workaround? Thanks!
Boombastix wrote:
24 Mar 2020

Try with Kushview Element

bieh

19 May 2020

Since Waves Ovox and Vocalsynth 2 both currently have big discounts - about US$68 for Ovox (down from US$149) on the Waves website, and US$49 for Vocalsynth 2 (down from US$199) through Plugin Boutique, I wanted to share my perspective as someone who has trialled both and decided on Vocalsynth 2.

Both are good, but the level of non-overlap in features is substantial, and it comes down to what you want to focus on. The way they compare will also be different for Reason and non-Reason users because Reason Players can enhance Vocalsynth 2 in some of the ways that the Note Mapper feature does by itself in Ovox.

Ovox has a wider variety of feature types, once you factor in LFOs, built-in sequencing of effects, harmonics, the Note Mapper, the arpeggiator, and the freedom to switch note source and synth input. Some of those features are really innovative, and it comes with a lot of widely varying presets. But I wanted to be more convinced of its usability. A big focus in both the marketing and feature set of Ovox is it's ability to dazzle with shimmering effects. But it struck me in the ads that some effects seemed a little out of control, and my trial didn't convince me otherwise. Among Ovox's many presets, there are few I would use out of the box or even with small adjustments, and the amount of Note Mapper detail and effects routing included in many of these creates a good deal of work for you if you want to tame them into something more suited to the music you're working with. There are notes mapped to chords you don't want, often too many harmonics interfering with the tonality of your music, and arpeggiator notes and formant triggering that often don't seem to produce on-time results. I didn't like the amount of fine-tuning needed to make the patches work acceptably well. But if the distinguishing features of Ovox are more important to you than they are to me, I'm sure you can learn to do better than I did at the fine-tuning.

I chose Vocalsynth 2 because it's more centred on what I want, which is a way to use MIDI input to synthesize lush vocal doubling and harmony with better results and a much greater variety of sounds than Reason's Neptune offers. I find Vocalsynth 2 more user-friendly, intuitive and straightforward than Ovox for this purpose. I find many of its patches are just what I want, most of the rest are easily usable, and the controls are catered to more detailed and intuitive ways to fine-tune the traditional elements of a voice synth and vocoder. Important for me is that it has more ways than Ovox to create subtle differences in the stereo field to create wide doubling and backing vocal harmony. And I decided I won't miss the Ovox Note Mapper because I find using Reason Players a more convenient and flexible way to program harmony into the Reason instrument that triggers the voice synth notes. Finally, though a smaller factor in my decision, the current discount on Vocalsynth 2 is better than the one on Ovox.

Perhaps it's fair to say there are more types of things Ovox can do that Vocalsynth 2 can't compared to the other way around, but there are also more ways to fine-tune the few things that Vocalsynth 2 concentrates on. Since those fewer things and the level of adjustment both align with my interests better than Ovox, Vocalsynth became the clear choice for me even after a relatively short trial compared with the hours I spent on Ovox.

therealhotsauce

03 Apr 2022

Good evening guys,

I am new with reason and I don't understand how to link Ovox and Reason..?

I read this :
"In Reason you do it like this:
1. create an AudioTrack and put/record your vocals there
2. Put Ovox into the insert FX slot of the AudioTrack
3. Right-click the Ovox vst device in the Rack and select "create sequencer track"
4. In this new sequencer track you can play/record midi notes to control ovox. (You might have to right click to create a new note lane in the sequencer track as well)."

But I don't understand how to link Ovox and reason, Could somebody please explain to me the second part ? Because Ovox is not in my reason, I bought it today and I succeed to use it but not in reason and this is what I wanna do.

Well please help :)

• Information