Layers: Free Orchestral Instrument

Discuss VST stuff here!
diminished
Competition Winner

16 Jan 2020

I reckoned they had to release something sweet for the promotion of their SINE player.. well, here it is!
"Layers is a free orchestral VST instrument, and an easy way to add orchestral sounds to your compositions and productions. Draw from the finest recordings of strings, woodwinds, and brass. Generate full chords with one-touch simplicity. And seamlessly blend layers of tonal colors and dynamics with your MIDI controller."
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

diminished
Competition Winner

17 Jan 2020

joeyluck wrote:
16 Jan 2020
Thanks for the heads up! Is this just chords and a few low, single-octave range unisons?
Yes, unfortunately. But very, very great sounding ones. Different mic setups and all that. Thanks for the link jam-s, I forgot to include it!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Yonatan

18 Jan 2020

Wow, this seems incredible. Thanks for sharing.

dvdrtldg

19 Jan 2020

A lot to like about this... quality samples, the mic positions, the mod wheel articulation, all very nice. But the actual chord/note options seem incredibly limited, which is a shame. Passing on this one

ShelLuser

19 Jan 2020

I'm not exactly impressed but... that's also because I make unfair comparisons. First.. they say that you get a full orchestra, err, no: where's percussion? Strings, woodwind, brass & percussion is pretty much your basic setup. But they left that part out. Now, sure, don't look a free horse in the mouth, I agree, but...

This does bring me to my 2nd issue (and I know I'm nitpicking!). Free? So why do I need to register and create an account? That's not free: they want my e-mail address and other personal information for this stuff in return. I know, I know: you can circumvent it, sure, it's still a trade off.

But most of all....

I don't think this is all that much better compared to Reason's Orkester sound. For starters: the refill is much more diverse. Just expand the string section for example: basses, cellos, violins (solo & dozens of variations).... Sure, there's also some pretty awful stuff in there, agreed, but even so... you could make that work for you.

And of course, in the end it's all sample based. 17Gb and it still sounds kinda lackluster to me. But... I have to admit; unfair comparison. For a freebie it sounds good enough I guess. But if you want to get serious then the Komplete orchestral series has it's number big time. Yet amazingly enough that's only 1Gb more in size, and includes percussion as well! So.. better sounds with less disk space?
--- :reason:

miscend

21 Jan 2020

Thanks for the heads up! Orchestral Tools are supposed to be the best of the best when it comes cinematic libraries. Regarded even higher than Spitfire and VSL.

howtobecalm

03 Feb 2020

just chords though isnt it

• Information