VPS Avenger on sale any good?

Discuss VST stuff here!
Jmax
Posts: 654
Joined: 03 Apr 2015

Post 06 Jan 2020

On sale for 50 percent off at Plugin Boutique.

Been eyeing this synth for a while. Anybody have it or can comment on the quality? Preset library etc.
.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 6812
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 06 Jan 2020

For this price it is a nobrainer, especially if you do not already have a super synth. Very good synth, lots of possibilitites, excellent filters, good fx, lots of modulation, great patches. Its not a synth for beginners and takes a few reads in the manual, because it has its own workflow here and there and has a bit of a learning curve.

Check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7515169
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

dezma
Posts: 220
Joined: 02 Jun 2015

Post 07 Jan 2020

It's a flagship synth, with endless possibilities in sound design and best of class FX. In theory you can build complete tracks including drums with only one instance, which they showcase in the SEQ category. Not sure how much more updates there will be before a paid upgrade, but the long list of new functionality since the 2017 is really impressive.

User avatar
tobypearce
Posts: 481
Joined: 28 Sep 2015

Post 07 Jan 2020

It really is excellent.

I feel like I ought to use other synths but whenever I use Avenger I think: why aren't I just using this most of the time.
https://onetrackperweek.com
A quest to create, finish and publish one track every week for a year.

Mint
Posts: 35
Joined: 17 Nov 2019

Post 07 Jan 2020

Is there anything this Synth/Production suite can't do and do well.
When I first bought it, I barely touched Reason for a month. The FX are gorgeous.

auralg
Posts: 2
Joined: 07 Jan 2020

Post 07 Jan 2020

Hi,
Yup Avenger at any price is worth it IMHO.
So I'm new to this forum and have what might be a silly question.
I was just updating Avenger 1.5.4 to 1.5.5 and besides all the Codemeter jumping through hoops and all the tutorials, I downloaded the content and the new Version and everything I needed to do.
My problem, and if anyone can help it would be most appreciated, is that the content file I downloaded appears as a documentation file and is looking for an application to open it with. I have no idea what app that might be. Unarchiver certainly didn't do the trick and now I'm lost. I wrote to Rene, but would love to solve this issue sooneer.
So like I said, I am brand new here and am not even sure I'm posting in the correct place. So apologies if I'm screwing anything up.
Cheers

auralg
Posts: 2
Joined: 07 Jan 2020

Post 07 Jan 2020

Please ignore my request for some Avenger install help. I got it sorted. I think it was more of a Firefox/Mac issue.
So again my apologies and hopefully I'll be less whingy next time I'm here
Cheers

chaosroyale
Posts: 352
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

Post 08 Jan 2020

Honestly, if I used Reaper or Live as my main DAW, and I was looking for a powerhouse plugin, I would choose Avenger over the Reason Rack, no question.

Avenger is one of the best, in fact maybe the best supersynth available, even at the regular price it is amazing value. At 50% off, it is a steal.

Good points: Can do anything any other synth workstation can do, usually better.

Bad points: cramped, ugly, rather un-intuitive GUI.

Jmax wrote:
06 Jan 2020
On sale for 50 percent off at Plugin Boutique.

Been eyeing this synth for a while. Anybody have it or can comment on the quality? Preset library etc.
.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 6812
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 08 Jan 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
08 Jan 2020
Good points: Can do anything any other synth workstation can do, usually better.
Dune3 currently stands out and produces sounds no other synth can produce IMO. So I am curious how you compare Dune3 with Anvenger or reproduce the sounds?

And i have plenty other synths which have their unique character and i never got sounds similar to Avenger. I was eying Tone2 synths the last BF and they have unique synthesis models not found in other synths. I think your claim is a bit over the top.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

dezma
Posts: 220
Joined: 02 Jun 2015

Post 08 Jan 2020

Loque wrote:
08 Jan 2020
chaosroyale wrote:
08 Jan 2020
Good points: Can do anything any other synth workstation can do, usually better.
Dune3 currently stands out and produces sounds no other synth can produce IMO. So I am curious how you compare Dune3 with Anvenger or reproduce the sounds?

And i have plenty other synths which have their unique character and i never got sounds similar to Avenger. I was eying Tone2 synths the last BF and they have unique synthesis models not found in other synths. I think your claim is a bit over the top.
Well, I got trapped into buying pigments yesterday for the 69€ deal. I must my first impressions are it is certainly on par with avenger / dune3 in terms of sound quality and it's got a few unique tricks up its sleeve. Dune3 is much better on CPU though.

None of them is quite as complete as avenger though, featuring also drums and more "semi-modular" features

Darn it, now I've got 3 flagship synths

chaosroyale
Posts: 352
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

Post 08 Jan 2020

Can you post a link? I haven't heard much of Dune3. So far what I have heard was very much doable with Serum or Avenger but I am happy to hear new things! I don't think it has granular, sample playback, or physical modelling though? So I would hesitate to put it in the same category as one of the "do anything workstations" like Avenger, Falcon2, Pigments (? maybe, haven't spent any time with it) etc.

My point about Avenger is not that it can exactly reproduce every other synth or vice-versa (although with most modern supersynths the differences are mostly due to GUI and what parts of their architecture is easily available to the user, not the actual sound quality) - rather, that it can do almost every kind of synthesis to a level as good as any competitor. You could also say that about other machines like Falcon2 and I would not argue.
Loque wrote:
08 Jan 2020
chaosroyale wrote:
08 Jan 2020
Good points: Can do anything any other synth workstation can do, usually better.
Dune3 currently stands out and produces sounds no other synth can produce IMO. So I am curious how you compare Dune3 with Anvenger or reproduce the sounds?

And i have plenty other synths which have their unique character and i never got sounds similar to Avenger. I was eying Tone2 synths the last BF and they have unique synthesis models not found in other synths. I think your claim is a bit over the top.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 6812
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 08 Jan 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
08 Jan 2020
Can you post a link? I haven't heard much of Dune3. So far what I have heard was very much doable with Serum or Avenger but I am happy to hear new things! I don't think it has granular, sample playback, or physical modelling though? So I would hesitate to put it in the same category as one of the "do anything workstations" like Avenger, Falcon2, Pigments (? maybe, haven't spent any time with it) etc.

My point about Avenger is not that it can exactly reproduce every other synth or vice-versa (although with most modern supersynths the differences are mostly due to GUI and what parts of their architecture is easily available to the user, not the actual sound quality) - rather, that it can do almost every kind of synthesis to a level as good as any competitor. You could also say that about other machines like Falcon2 and I would not argue.
Loque wrote:
08 Jan 2020


Dune3 currently stands out and produces sounds no other synth can produce IMO. So I am curious how you compare Dune3 with Anvenger or reproduce the sounds?

And i have plenty other synths which have their unique character and i never got sounds similar to Avenger. I was eying Tone2 synths the last BF and they have unique synthesis models not found in other synths. I think your claim is a bit over the top.
I did not wrote, that Dune3 is a do-it-all synth. I wrote, it has a sound which cannot be produced by any other synth i know and asked, how YOU can do it with Avenger since you stated, that Avenger can reproduce any sound.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

chaosroyale
Posts: 352
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

Post 08 Jan 2020

OK I see what you mean - I think I understand the confusion;

I did not mean "can copy exactly every particular sound", I meant "can do everything - granular/wavetable/virtual analog/etc - to the same quality as its competitors"

I would be surprised if Dune3 could do something that couldn't be done to a similar quality on Avenger, even if there was a difference in the details. On the other hand, I expect Dune 3 could also do the job of the non-sample based sections of Avenger to the same level.

edit - like I said though, I haven't heard much of Dune3, so I am judging only by the demos and presets I have heard so far. That's why I asked for a link to something that you think would not be possible on another synth.
Loque wrote:
08 Jan 2020
chaosroyale wrote:
08 Jan 2020
Can you post a link? I haven't heard much of Dune3. So far what I have heard was very much doable with Serum or Avenger but I am happy to hear new things! I don't think it has granular, sample playback, or physical modelling though? So I would hesitate to put it in the same category as one of the "do anything workstations" like Avenger, Falcon2, Pigments (? maybe, haven't spent any time with it) etc.

My point about Avenger is not that it can exactly reproduce every other synth or vice-versa (although with most modern supersynths the differences are mostly due to GUI and what parts of their architecture is easily available to the user, not the actual sound quality) - rather, that it can do almost every kind of synthesis to a level as good as any competitor. You could also say that about other machines like Falcon2 and I would not argue.

I did not wrote, that Dune3 is a do-it-all synth. I wrote, it has a sound which cannot be produced by any other synth i know and asked, how YOU can do it with Avenger since you stated, that Avenger can reproduce any sound.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 6812
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 08 Jan 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
08 Jan 2020
OK I see what you mean - I think I understand the confusion;

I did not mean "can copy exactly every particular sound", I meant "can do everything - granular/wavetable/virtual analog/etc - to the same quality as its competitors"

I would be surprised if Dune3 could do something that couldn't be done to a similar quality on Avenger, even if there was a difference in the details. On the other hand, I expect Dune 3 could also do the job of the non-sample based sections of Avenger to the same level.

edit - like I said though, I haven't heard much of Dune3, so I am judging only by the demos and presets I have heard so far. That's why I asked for a link to something that you think would not be possible on another synth.
Loque wrote:
08 Jan 2020

I did not wrote, that Dune3 is a do-it-all synth. I wrote, it has a sound which cannot be produced by any other synth i know and asked, how YOU can do it with Avenger since you stated, that Avenger can reproduce any sound.
Somewhere here i stated, that most demos i heard from Dune3 were quite bad. I can only recommend to download and try for yourself.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests