MIDI out to VST?

Discuss VST stuff here!
lukeygee123abc

04 Jan 2020

Hey there!

I'm reaching out for something I cannot work out. I've looked through tutorials and forums and tried some work arounds, but still haven't been successful.

Part of my issue may be that I am not defining my problem correctly, so I will attempt to explain what I'd like to achieve, how I think it would be possible, and then what I've tried. I would love any help!

Specifically I want to have control over the rhythm of a sidechain pattern (LFO pattern e.t.c.) for kickstarter by Nicky Romero. I love the way this software sounds and this seems to be possible in other DAWs. In other DAWs, it seems that you setup a "midi out" channel, and then use this as the input for kickstarter. On kickstarter you change the mode to "1-shot" (from "sync"), and then have an option called "in from host" which I think reads the midi signal and accordingly triggers the programmed pattern.

Here is the process in FL studio. This video articulates the problem similarly to how I have above and shows how to solve it in the FL studio (see 5:30 - 9:40):

I believe that the problem in Reason is that there is no clear way to setup a midi out channel and then route this into a VST. Of course I may be wrong in thinking this so would love some help.

I thought that I might be able sort this out with use of the external MIDI instrument. Instead of running this to outboard gear run I thought to run it to a midi port I could setup. I setup a virtual midi port through Mac's system preferences. This was recognised by kickstarter and reason as "IAC driver bus 1". I changed the midi driver ("midi driver"?) to this on the external midi instrument, and selected channel 1. I selected the same driver and channel on kickstarter. When I tried this I received an error message saying something like my computer was too slow to handle midi data that quickly. Unfortunately I still hadn't achieved what I was hoping for.

Am I missing something simple and overcomplicating this? Have I defined my problem correctly? Is this a feature that propellerhead might not have developed yet given how fresh they still are to VSTs? Is what I'm hoping to achieve possible at the moment?

I appreciate there are countless ways to create different sidechain rhythms, but I am yet to come across something I believe is as precise and intuitive as kickstarter. As I said before I would absolutely love any help I can get!

Thanks again,

lukeygee123abc

ljekio

04 Jan 2020

Why to use MIDI out?
You can use direct midi input with creating seq track for that vst effect (create track and new note lane for it).
Or second way is using of CV. Combine your vst and check box "receive notes" into programmer.
Now you can put CV Gate to "Gate" socket on Combinator's back.

Benedict
Competition Winner

04 Jan 2020

Reason currently does not allow MIDI Out from VST.

Seems annoying in a few cases BUT remember that Reason is way ahead of most DAWs with their CV system which will, and has been, handling most of these sorts of things for 20 years! :reason: :mrgreen:

This VST may not be the best solution in Reason but there are a host of other options for creating and managing LFO and Complex Envs that will do a stellar job.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

ljekio

05 Jan 2020

Ok, I misunderstood the task.
I picked up the envelope from vst-device by that way:
2020-01-05_16-37-59.jpg
2020-01-05_16-37-59.jpg (91.05 KiB) Viewed 455 times
2020-01-05_16-37-40.jpg
2020-01-05_16-37-40.jpg (111.63 KiB) Viewed 455 times
This cv envelope you can convert to midi with external midi device (for mod wheel or any CC)

• Information