Korg Triton vst

Discuss VST stuff here!
Goriila Texas

02 Jan 2020

I agree with most of your points they're spot on the Triton layered combi's have a unique sound. But dude saying they're trash which I've never heard anyone say I just can't take what he says as someone with experience period. He says things about the Roland pianos are good I've never owned any Roland workstations so I don't speak on it. He clearly is a Roland guy and hates Korg, I used to be like that too as well as most musicians back then when you were either Korg,Roland or Yamaha fanboy. I never said the Triton was perfect and even mentioned the Kronos is a better modern workstation. When he said the triton had outdated sounds I questioned how does a piano,organ etc.. become outdated his response was the piano samples was trash,but the triton sound was the most sought after behind the Roland 808. I guess the large Triton following don't know what they're talking about :lol:

Boombastix wrote:
02 Jan 2020
Arguing over the Triton piano sound is a bit nonsense IMHO. Its a bit like arguing if a square wave is better than a saw for bass sound. Or is a standing live bass better than the SH-101? Just different type of sound and different uses.

I'm no piano expert, but it made think, what pianos do I actually have: Well here it is: :o
* Kontakt 12 (several libs)
* XLN audio (all libs)
* Reason (all libs)
* Roland (MKS-20, D-70, JV-1080)
* E-Mu (All the old Emulator libs)
* Yamaha (all the old sample libs)
* Korg (M1, Wavestation)
* a few other misc libs

So based on that experience: I like the Korg pianos, because they have a different character often great for layering, something you most of the time have to do to, to fit in an electronic song, R&B, Hip Hop, House, Pop, whatever. Many of the old libs are not suitable for Adele or Orchestra, but in those cases they still record live piano, just like they did back in 2000. Only difference now we can actually use these Gb hyper-sampled libs instead of live recording, but the "character" pianos still have their place, for character, and when layering.

Another idea with Trition (starting with M1) is actually to layer big. Each patch is made up of 2 oscillators (or sample sets), each patch with filters, modulation, arp, and so on. Then the Combis are made up of up to 8 patches, that is 16 oscillators (or sample layers). That is what creates the Triton sound. What other VST does 8 layers of multi sampled instruments? Thus it is not about realism, but to mix a brass, with a guitar, and more and have sweeps mixed with arps, and those patches move like no VA can do. Digital synthesis at its best. I still think $200 is, hrmm, a bit high.

The patch designers back in those days were a different breed, and paid well, to create them, not teenagers with Serum trying to make an extra buck. That is part why it sounds different. But better, well you decide, sometimes those lush moving pads are what the song needs, sometimes it is that in your face screaming lead. Just more colors in the tool box, all good!

I just hope Korg adds new/modern patches too, would be interesting to hear what the Serum crowd can come up with using Tritons sound/architecture.

joeyluck

02 Jan 2020

Goriila Texas wrote:
02 Jan 2020
I agree with most of your points they're spot on the Triton layered combi's have a unique sound. But dude saying they're trash which I've never heard anyone say I just can't take what he says as someone with experience period.
A quick search of this thread shows only one person using the word "trash" and it's you in regards to Reason pianos:
Goriila Texas wrote:
27 Dec 2019
I own the Triton Studio still to this day and the pianos from 17 years ago still blow Reason trash pianos and horns away period end of discussion.
And that was before QVProd had ever commented in the thread.

I don't deny that people make great use of the Triton pianos, but in the same sense that some can make good use of any cheesy old pianos through combinations and effects, the same can be said about any piano library, so I feel like you are fighting your own argument by going after Reason pianos...

Goriila Texas

02 Jan 2020

Hmmm ok that maybe true but Radical Piano or any other piano in Reason doesn't though and most users including me don't have the knowledge to layer like the Triton sound designers with multiple arp articulations on several layers. Until Reason does this those "cheesy"
17 year old sounds kills anything in Reason,not my opinion these are facts that can be proven. Nobody says I want that Reason sound piano lol :lol: Nothing in Reason can match the 17 year old combi's on the Triton period.

joeyluck wrote:
02 Jan 2020
Goriila Texas wrote:
02 Jan 2020
I agree with most of your points they're spot on the Triton layered combi's have a unique sound. But dude saying they're trash which I've never heard anyone say I just can't take what he says as someone with experience period.
A quick search of this thread shows only one person using the word "trash" and it's you in regards to Reason pianos:
Goriila Texas wrote:
27 Dec 2019
I own the Triton Studio still to this day and the pianos from 17 years ago still blow Reason trash pianos and horns away period end of discussion.

I don't deny that people make great use of the Triton pianos, but in the same sense that some can make good use of any cheesy old pianos through combinations and effects, the same can be said about any piano library, so I feel like you are fighting your own argument by going after Reason pianos...

joeyluck

02 Jan 2020

Goriila Texas wrote:
02 Jan 2020
Hmmm ok that maybe true but Radical Piano or any other piano in Reason doesn't though and most users including me don't have the knowledge to layer like the Triton sound designers with multiple arp articulations on several layers. Until Reason does this those "cheesy"
17 year old sounds kills anything in Reason,not my opinion these are facts that can be proven. Nobody says I want that Reason sound piano lol :lol: Nothing in Reason can match the 17 year old combi's on the Triton period.

joeyluck wrote:
02 Jan 2020

To each their own. I have lots pianos in hardware and software and my favorite piano is still the Challen from the Abbey Road Keyboards ReFill.

QVprod

02 Jan 2020

Goriila Texas wrote:
02 Jan 2020
I agree with most of your points they're spot on the Triton layered combi's have a unique sound. But dude saying they're trash which I've never heard anyone say I just can't take what he says as someone with experience period. He says things about the Roland pianos are good
He clearly is a Roland guy and hates Korg,
Not sure how you came to any of these conclusions. I never said any of this.
When he said the triton had outdated sounds I questioned how does a piano,organ etc.. become outdated his response was the piano samples was trash,but the triton sound was the most sought after behind the Roland 808. I guess the large Triton following don't know what they're talking about :lol:
And here was the rest of the response to your question. You stopped at the piano part.
QVprod wrote:
01 Jan 2020
... Aside from that, you can still get some great sounds on the synthetic side if you do sound design yourself. But the average person is simply using the factory presets many of those, being dated back to 1999 would definitely be outdated. Especially most things ‘acoustic’. Sampling has gotten considerably more detailed than what was available back then with very limited wave rom.
You stated the Triton could beat any software for piano, which is what sparked the piano comment. I never once said the triton as a whole wasn't good.
joeyluck wrote:
02 Jan 2020

Pretty much what Joey said.

Goriila Texas

02 Jan 2020

You conveniently didn’t quote what I actually said like you did the rest of my comments because you know I never said that the Triton beats all software. What I said was Korg hardware I never said specifically the Triton.

You stated that the Triton and piano shouldn’t be in the same sentence and that Korg has had horrible sounding acoustic pianos before the Kronos. History disagrees with you in the fact that the Triton was king in the 90s chosen by the masses for its realism of acoustic instruments. To dispute this shows you have no knowledge about that era period. The OASYS came after the extreme so it sounds like crap to too huh? 😭Cool story bro! You win I will not go back in forth with you because you not any sense to me.

QVprod wrote:
02 Jan 2020
Goriila Texas wrote:
02 Jan 2020
I agree with most of your points they're spot on the Triton layered combi's have a unique sound. But dude saying they're trash which I've never heard anyone say I just can't take what he says as someone with experience period. He says things about the Roland pianos are good
He clearly is a Roland guy and hates Korg,
Not sure how you came to any of these conclusions. I never said any of this.
When he said the triton had outdated sounds I questioned how does a piano,organ etc.. become outdated his response was the piano samples was trash,but the triton sound was the most sought after behind the Roland 808. I guess the large Triton following don't know what they're talking about :lol:
And here was the rest of the response to your question. You stopped at the piano part.
QVprod wrote:
01 Jan 2020
... Aside from that, you can still get some great sounds on the synthetic side if you do sound design yourself. But the average person is simply using the factory presets many of those, being dated back to 1999 would definitely be outdated. Especially most things ‘acoustic’. Sampling has gotten considerably more detailed than what was available back then with very limited wave rom.
You stated the Triton could beat any software for piano, which is what sparked the piano comment. I never once said the triton as a whole wasn't good.
joeyluck wrote:
02 Jan 2020

Pretty much what Joey said.

QVprod

02 Jan 2020

Goriila Texas wrote:
02 Jan 2020
You conveniently didn’t quote what I actually said like you did the rest of my comments because you know I never said that the Triton beats all software. What I said was Korg hardware I never said specifically the Triton.

You stated that the Triton and piano shouldn’t be in the same sentence and that Korg has had horrible sounding acoustic pianos before the Kronos. History disagrees with you in the fact that the Triton was king in the 90s chosen by the masses for its realism of acoustic instruments. To dispute this shows you have no knowledge about that era period. The OASYS came after the extreme so it sounds like crap to too huh? 😭Cool story bro! You win I will not go back in forth with you because you not any sense to me.
You're assuming ill intent where there is none. If you say the following in a thread about the Korg triton, I'm going to assume that's what you mean. But cool, I'll admit that it seems I misunderstood you. Which pretty much made this whole dispute pointless no? I think a clarification of your point would've saved us the trouble.
Goriila Texas wrote:
31 Dec 2019
How does a piano,lush bells,organs and realistic brass become outdated?
I'd put money on Korg hardware over any software for pianos,organ,bells and stabs hands down killing Radical Piano.
So if it be the case that I misunderstood, then that means you actually agree with me. As far as it being the king of acoustic sounds in the 90's, I'm sure that's meant as a whole rather than the sum of its parts, but we can agree to disagree on that.

jlgrimes

04 Jan 2020

Goriila Texas wrote:
27 Dec 2019
I own the Triton Studio still to this day and the pianos from 17 years ago still blow Reason trash pianos and horns away period end of discussion. I started with Reason on 2.5 and been saying this since the old PUF. Nobody who owns multiple DAWs looks towards Reason for authentic sounds. Reason strength is synths and cv. The sound quality of the Triton is not much different than the Kronos and the Kronos kills Reason on every instrument horns,organ, all the way to piano. The Triton is regarded by professionals whom made countless hits as one of the best workstations ever.

EpiGenetik wrote:
27 Dec 2019
Very probably the most over-rated piece of music hardware in history.

A friend of mine had one, and I had extensive experience of using it. In the end, when he offered it to me on the cheap, I couldn't justify the cost, because I was using Reason 2.5 at the time and a Midiman Keystation 49, which could blow it away with some ease.
I had a Triton Extreme I did live shows with that overheated and couldn't be restored.

Especially 10 or so years ago Triton had better sounds than most softsynths but I think you'd be surprised today.

Better than Reason maybe but the stuff now that can be done with Kontakt IMO surpassed the Tritons if realism is concerned but there is always a special place in my heart for the late 90s sample rompler synth sounds which were realistic at their time but a bit cheesy by today's standards.

You'd be surprised though on what can be done with Reason as I heard a Kanye West album back in the day and one track I particularly loved the instruments. I later found out it was done with Reason. He (DJ Toomp) even came to a producer workshop I was in and played the track and many of his sounds were just NN19 factory presets (sounds I was skipping over before then)

Wobbleburger

05 Jan 2020

The Triton is amazing. I make Grime and nearly all of the major Grime producers started with the Triton. "Gliding Squares" is a staple in Wiley's music. The demo of the emulator was superb.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

ltbrunt00

09 Jan 2020

The Korg Triton was one my main pieces of gear until reason 3 came out. About a year later when my first son was born I traded the Triton for a Schecter 7 string guitar. I wish I would have kept it but was able to create similar sounding patches in Reason & ableton live. I will more than likely buy this hopefully at a big discount.

On second thought after listening to audio demos of it I will probably not get it and save my money for the Arturia collection.

But back in the day I thought the Triton was the greatest thing ever.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Yonatan

10 Jan 2020

Some patches are as pale (no expression dynamics) as the basic Reason ones or the basic NI stock. Some patches on Triton (often from the expansions) are having a nice dynamics to them that makes them usable and inspiring. But the beauty of Triton and the likes (workstation) is the accessibility to a wide range of sounds, with the approach of General Midi bread and butter but in a more sophisticated form, at a tiny memory as slightly under 500mb! I like the workstation approach and General Midi, mimicing "real" instruments combined with synth-style editor controls.
And that is the beauty with Reason as well, as with Logic Pro X, to have much in the box. But with the standard of NI pro libraries etc, these workstations seem to fall a bit in the shade. I would like them to get a revival. For, even if not all sounds are convincing or good enough in a workstation, some actually are stars in the pack, and if having a few workstations or GM devices, they can complement each other and if having an ear for sound, one can come a long way as a songwriter/producer. You could off course use them for film scoring and whatever, but more as a backup and library. If that is the real field, then one needs far more gigabytes and options. But I love the "use what you have got" approach. Just as cooking a meal can sometimes be interesting when one have to improvise with what one has left in the kitchen. Yes, it can often get a meh result, but when things blend well together and you get some luck, those moments are very satisfying. I guess it is the challenge that makes it.
Having all the best tools and sound libraries is good for the self image in that it is easier for a sophisticated sound with little effort. It is great if doing productions for others and if having it as profession with tight deadlines, just like the pro chef needs everything accessible. But on a hobby level and for your own sake of creative reward, limitations can be the friction that sometimes gets you in a good mood. Triton wont replace a NI workhouse with all tons of GB of sampled instruments, they are not in the same category. But you could fake yourself great results with Triton if you know what sound you want and how to blend things together. I even like the Korg M1 still. And the sense of having it all in a box. And the thought of having Reason plus x amount of other "boxes" to combine, is a hobbyist dream. How I would love to have NI and the pro galleries, but when I have tested such, it is often quite cumbersome on a laptop, loading times etc. I feel it needs a workhorse of a stationary fast computer with everything set up already, to get the same workstation feel, but on another pro level. So, it all depends on what gear one has. With limited space of hard drive etc, I still love the simplicity of the smaller libraries, workstations and sample refills, inside Reason. That said, selling these older gems for hundreds of dollars...it kind of kills off the magic. It should be more the feeling of "I found this old keyboard on a second hand store, this and this is not so impressive, but look at this...isnt that cool and handy, I wish that was also in Reason. I will use this thing on my next song.". So I would not get these retro workstations for expensive prices. It is best served in sale or in a bundle.

avasopht
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2020

This is the ultimate bread & butter library IMO, plus can be used for live performance.

Bearing in mind how many millions were made by people selling Triton and Fantom X sample packs on eBay they've missed out on a lot of easy money. They also would have made a lot of products obsolete, especially if they priced it at $250 back then.

I had a Korg Triton but used a Refill as it was 1000x easier to manage in projects (and allowed me to carry much lighter gear). They missed a trick there.

I'll check out their demo, but now they've got the Triton I think this (or the whole collection) might be my next purchase. I've just signed up to EWQL Cloud, but this could easily replace the role I intended Goliath to play.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2020

avasopht wrote:
05 Mar 2020
This is the ultimate bread & butter library IMO, plus can be used for live performance.

Bearing in mind how many millions were made by people selling Triton and Fantom X sample packs on eBay they've missed out on a lot of easy money. They also would have made a lot of products obsolete, especially if they priced it at $250 back then.

I had a Korg Triton but used a Refill as it was 1000x easier to manage in projects (and allowed me to carry much lighter gear). They missed a trick there.

I'll check out their demo, but now they've got the Triton I think this (or the whole collection) might be my next purchase. I've just signed up to EWQL Cloud, but this could easily replace the role I intended Goliath to play.
It is great for songwriting/production too. Quick browsing, good sounds, not much CPU load. So you get a composition done before it starts to crackle. Then you can layer and replace some sounds, to get you production to 100%. Any songwriter should look at it, it can save a lot of time.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

miscend

05 Mar 2020

This looks quite interesting, honestly if it was £99 it would be a no brainer. The Reason FSB is over 1 gigabyte. Triton Classic ROM was 64 MB. How do the sampled keys and guitars in the FSB compare to the Triton? I tend to chop up samples in DR Octorex or program my own synth patches, so I have honestly never really explored deep inside the FSB.

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2020

miscend wrote:
05 Mar 2020
The Reason FSB is over 1 gigabyte. Triton Classic ROM was 64 MB. How do the sampled keys and guitars in the FSB compare to the Triton?
As good as the FSB is it doesn't come close. Technically the recordings in the FSB might be "better" in pure isolation.

But the Triton isn't just a sampler. It uses Korg's "Hi Synthesis", where each sound "program" (this is what you load as a sound into a patch) consists of 1-2 layers of samples being played back and processed in real-time (filters, resonance, etc.) to give it more variation over time than playing back the raw sample. May be better to think of it as a sample based synth. Those programs can then be modulated by the editable patch.

On top of that these sounds are much more carefully curated, giving you sound banks covering a broad spectrum exceptionally well, each with the feel of a real living and breathing instrument. And with its well organized and balanced patch / combi library it makes for a timeless bread & butter sound bank that passes the critical threshold of real sounding patches. It's got something for everyone and each sound - particarly the combis - is solid. Not to mention the expansion packs it includes.

It's subjective, but there's no comparison.

It's why those 2-10 GB Korg Triton Refills made millions in sales on eBay. I'd strongly suggest trying the demo. You get 20 minutes of use from each load. Demoing this one is a no-brainer. Maybe you'll be of a different opinion. Curious to know what you think of it.

The patches in SR Gold are bigger and "better", but I'd choose this VST over it. Plus you don't need to wait for the patches to load as the whole sound bank fits into a tiny corner of your RAM.

groggy1

06 Mar 2020

My 2 cents: I'm very nostalgic for Korg M1. I've always loved the sound of pianos+pads together, and it just has a sound to it that reminds me my childhood.

SO, Triton VST for me was very much "more of the same" - and given how it has that "M1-ish" sound, I was thrilled.

Yes, it's pricy. But my jaw dropped when I saw that Korg released Triton. Really, what more can we ask of companies like Korg and Roland - just release the old classics and make our dreams come true!

QVprod

06 Mar 2020

miscend wrote:
05 Mar 2020
This looks quite interesting, honestly if it was £99 it would be a no brainer. The Reason FSB is over 1 gigabyte. Triton Classic ROM was 64 MB. How do the sampled keys and guitars in the FSB compare to the Triton? I tend to chop up samples in DR Octorex or program my own synth patches, so I have honestly never really explored deep inside the FSB.
Probably sounds better in general. The weakness of the FSB is in the acoustic instruments imo and hasn't really changed much from Reason 3 if not earlier. It's a bit of a low bar to compare to.

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 Mar 2020

QVprod wrote:
06 Mar 2020
Probably sounds better in general. The weakness of the FSB is in the acoustic instruments imo and hasn't really changed much from Reason 3 if not earlier. It's a bit of a low bar to compare to.
I wonder how much life could be breathed into them with the right programming. Surely some interesting things can be done with them in Grain and Europa.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

07 Mar 2020

avasopht wrote:
07 Mar 2020
QVprod wrote:
06 Mar 2020
I wonder how much life could be breathed into them with the right programming. Surely some interesting things can be done with them in Grain and Europa.
In theory you could build a similar architecture in a Combinator, though I would stop at four layers. Each layer having a few FX and then a couple of Global FX. Then just create layers by dropping in different sounds, adjust FX, levels, filters/EQ, envelopes, transposition, etc. Not sure how many sounds you can make in 200h, but should be a good bunch. Though for a $1/h labor, you could buy Triton with many more sounds. There are texture sounds and raw sounds that Reason does not have that are used in some very nice Triton patches, but I'm sure the FSB can create bells, flutes, leads, etc in this way that are quite usable.
But you still won't be able to load those patches in a fraction of a second, and there is not tagging, and so on. Not really worth it IMO, unless you see this work as something fun.
But the idea would be to layer a bell with a guitar and so on, just to create interesting and playable textures.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

QVprod

07 Mar 2020

avasopht wrote:
07 Mar 2020
QVprod wrote:
06 Mar 2020
That isn’t to say they’re unusable. Especially if you’re synthesizing them or using them as layers. They just don’t stand that well by themselves. ID8 sounds are a pretty common layer for me...though that’s technically not FSB. Still, adding some programming (fx/combis) to the fsb acoustic patches might make it more on level with the Triton stuff but I don’t think either stand well on their own in that category these days.

Lizard

13 Mar 2020

I've owned two Korg Triton's and currently own Taktile. I've always been fond of the sounds from it. At the height of its popularity it was a great workstation when that technology wasn't commonplace. It wasn't the first of course as the M1 was one of the first in its class and first for Korg for sure. I replaced my M1 with a Triton which I paid 3k for. Can you believe? But rounding out my Korg Legacy collection... why not? I bought. I know what it is and on it's delivery I'm not disappointed.

So for me it's nostalgia at this point. Not that the sounds are superior. Some were great and warm or course. In retrospect I clearly see some are dated. The VST has many of the same features which is comforting to the user familiar with the hardware. And tit's interface is WAY more friendly to use. The tiny touch screen of the original was miserable, I had many a project I created with it and I think I just may recreate them using this. Now I'll have a much greater (and easier) opportunity to improve them which is something fortified with Reason. But when Reason introduced the Combinator that was all she wrote for me and the Triton and for the most part my acquisition of hardware died.

It is agreeable however that the price is steep. A lot of sounds yes. But not necessarily all of value with the large availability of sounds today. This of course for users not looking to rehash the past. The Triton is beyond bread and butter.... but still bread and butter at it's base. You can get AIR Music's Xpand 2 often cheap and on sale which offers a tremendous deal and striking similar to the Triton. Limited to four sounds in a combi for that however. Triton will double that and allowing for eight. Still you can run multiple instances of Xpand so... who cares? You get away with a similar product often about $190 less.

I was disappointed that it did not include the MOSS synthesizer. That was an expansion card to the M1 but internal. A daughter board and not a PCM card. It was similar in architecture and sound to Korg's products at the time like the MS-2000. I thought it was great but this has it absent. But like the M1 plug it includes all the cards that was available. I only had a few so it is kind of fun going through them. It also is absent of the sampling module but I won't miss that with all the options in Reason today.

I will not agree that the piano sounds of Korg are terrible. I will say they were less desirable than others of the time. Realistic but always seemed harsh. Metallic sounding and very clean when I felt a more ambient and mic'd sound would be more desirable. The M1 piano which I believe is in the Triton plug in was actually a very sought after tone. It found its way into many a Reggae tracks. Many many many people had that workstation in the early 90's. To each their own I suppose. Even if, the pianos alone would not thwart me from it.

Korg does not often go on sale but it has before. Around Christmas you will see sales. More likely as a bundle though. Those interested but can't commit may keep their eyes peeled.

• Information