Korg Triton vst

Discuss VST stuff here!

Loque

27 Dec 2019

250 bucks :shock: :lol: ...yes, sure...dream on...
Reason12, Win10

outdatedstandard

27 Dec 2019

Last edited by outdatedstandard on 09 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

danc

27 Dec 2019

outdatedstandard wrote:
    27 Dec 2019
    Loque wrote:
    27 Dec 2019
    As usual, do not rush to buy. We have to wait a year, the first sales.

dream on is Korg Triton RE!
    Buy the real thing for less!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Korg-Triton- ... Swnd9d~5Kk
    Check my Soundcloud:

Goriila Texas

27 Dec 2019

No EXB were created for the Le this comes with everything but the MOSS board.

danc wrote:
    27 Dec 2019
    outdatedstandard wrote:
    27 Dec 2019

As usual, do not rush to buy. We have to wait a year, the first sales.

dream on is Korg Triton RE!

BRIGGS

27 Dec 2019

Loque wrote:
    27 Dec 2019
    The only way to bring the price down, is if it's too high, to begin with. :lol:
    r11s

EpiGenetik

27 Dec 2019

Very probably the most over-rated piece of music hardware in history.

A friend of mine had one, and I had extensive experience of using it. In the end, when he offered it to me on the cheap, I couldn't justify the cost, because I was using Reason 2.5 at the time and a Midiman Keystation 49, which could blow it away with some ease.

joeyluck

27 Dec 2019

Goriila Texas wrote:
    27 Dec 2019
    No EXB were created for the Le this comes with everything but the MOSS board.

danc wrote:
    27 Dec 2019

I'd really like to see a Korg Prophecy/Z1 plugin :puf_smile:

Goriila Texas

27 Dec 2019

I own the Triton Studio still to this day and the pianos from 17 years ago still blow Reason trash pianos and horns away period end of discussion. I started with Reason on 2.5 and been saying this since the old PUF. Nobody who owns multiple DAWs looks towards Reason for authentic sounds. Reason strength is synths and cv. The sound quality of the Triton is not much different than the Kronos and the Kronos kills Reason on every instrument horns,organ, all the way to piano. The Triton is regarded by professionals whom made countless hits as one of the best workstations ever.

EpiGenetik wrote:
    27 Dec 2019

A friend of mine had one, and I had extensive experience of using it. In the end, when he offered it to me on the cheap, I couldn't justify the cost, because I was using Reason 2.5 at the time and a Midiman Keystation 49, which could blow it away with some ease.

groggy1

27 Dec 2019

Go Korg!!

Love to see the continued investment in vsts from Korg! (Korg gadget was cool too)

Although price is a bit high, this is way better than a ridiculous subscription (I’m looking at you Roland....)

miscend

28 Dec 2019

You can pick the hardware for the same price on eBay. That way at least you get a great keybed along with the sounds.

miyaru

28 Dec 2019

I'd really like to see a Korg Prophecy/Z1 plugin :puf_smile:
    I use to have a Prophecy, but it was a hard synth to program........ It sounded superb though!!!!

I'm fond of Korg synths, but I think €250,= is to much for a Triton plugin.
    Greetings from Miyaru.
    Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
    Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

Boombastix
    Competition Winner

28 Dec 2019

I think it is cool. I spoke to Yamaha a few weeks back and they said they had no interest in re-releasing their old stuff, despite what Roland/Korg is doing.

So, $200 bucks for 4000 patches. They could have sold it for $49 (like the Wavestation I just picked up), and then sell extra patches separately, like Nexus. Or Spire, they price their 100-150 patches at around $15. So there is around $400 worth of patches inside of it if you see it that way, half price since you buy all 4000 at once. But then QUALITY and variation of patches matter.

Nexus 3 is $250 (2800 patches), Omnisphere is $500 (14000 patches), Roland JV1080, is rental only, and $200 a year. Air Xpand2 2500 presets for $5, hmm, an oddball price wise but admittedly lesser quality, but sort of like the M1. Arturia V collection is different with more synthesis focus but also similar and 8000+ presets at $500. I think they priced it around these competitors.

Since Korg actually provides a demo, it is possible to to try it out, unlike Nexus/Omnisphere.

Anyhow just downloaded the demo, I will check it out (slowly bit by bit). My first impression is that: We who actually used some these old hw units, 80% of the sounds are not useful, but there are gems in there. Like the pro's did back then, layering is essential, and even if Triton arguably sounds much better than M1 and Wavestation, it needs layering. It can layer 8 sounds internally, but it may still be better to layer different synths to get a better mix of character, thus the same use as with M1/Xpand2, but you do work with far higher quality sounds.

Pianos/Brass is good for stabs but not for full articulations a´la Kontakt instruments, but that is also an unfair comparison. Pianos can be very useful to layer with a Kontakt instrument as Korg has those fantastic attacks that just cut through a tight mix. But in isolation they are not for an Adele type ballad (IMO). Pads, Strings, and Bells usually are very good in these old romplers, and Triton does not fail on those. But there are gems here and there in all categories.

What I really liked was the browser and how you can use the computer keyboard and jump to the next sound, and it happens instantaneously. Very good for browsing sounds, it is fast. And the size is adjustable (M1 and Wavestation - not so much), so the GUI big and beautiful (as can be). You can also favorite sounds.

The ARP needs exploration as it seems to have 100+ pattern - interesting...

So my verdict - seems like a nice step up from M1/Wavestation, it is probably heaven to program compared to actual hw Triton, but a little quirky compared to the best VSTs. It is capable though with 5 insert FX and so on. But it will never match the synthesis of a moden monster synth like Spire and the like. But it can do nice EPs, Organs, Pads, like those monster synths cannot. A bunch of unusual percussion can be found too.

Is it worth $200 for me? No, if it was $50, I would think about it, but since i have Xpand2, M1 and Wavestation - it does not add that much new. I guess if you are a Triton owner and want it in the box, or for some other nostalgia reason, then it is worth it, but it just isn't that many useful sounds for modern production.

If you want to make the 90's and 2000 type music and have nothing useful in your arsenal for those rompler sounds, then you should definitely look at the Triton VST.
    10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
    Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Loque

28 Dec 2019

Boombastix wrote:
    28 Dec 2019
    I think it is cool. I spoke to Yamaha a few weeks back and they said they had no interest in re-releasing their old stuff, despite what Roland/Korg is doing.

So, $200 bucks for 4000 patches. They could have sold it for $49 (like the Wavestation I just picked up), and then sell extra patches separately, like Nexus. Or Spire, they price their 100-150 patches at around $15. So there is around $400 worth of patches inside of it if you see it that way, half price since you buy all 4000 at once. But then QUALITY and variation of patches matter.

Nexus 3 is $250 (2800 patches), Omnisphere is $500 (14000 patches), Roland JV1080, is rental only, and $200 a year. Air Xpand2 2500 presets for $5, hmm, an oddball price wise but admittedly lesser quality, but sort of like the M1. Arturia V collection is different with more synthesis focus but also similar and 8000+ presets at $500. I think they priced it around these competitors.

Since Korg actually provides a demo, it is possible to to try it out, unlike Nexus/Omnisphere.

Anyhow just downloaded the demo, I will check it out (slowly bit by bit). My first impression is that: We who actually used some these old hw units, 80% of the sounds are not useful, but there are gems in there. Like the pro's did back then, layering is essential, and even if Triton arguably sounds much better than M1 and Wavestation, it needs layering. It can layer 8 sounds internally, but it may still be better to layer different synths to get a better mix of character, thus the same use as with M1/Xpand2, but you do work with far higher quality sounds.

Pianos/Brass is good for stabs but not for full articulations a´la Kontakt instruments, but that is also an unfair comparison. Pianos can be very useful to layer with a Kontakt instrument as Korg has those fantastic attacks that just cut through a tight mix. But in isolation they are not for an Adele type ballad (IMO). Pads, Strings, and Bells usually are very good in these old romplers, and Triton does not fail on those. But there are gems here and there in all categories.

What I really liked was the browser and how you can use the computer keyboard and jump to the next sound, and it happens instantaneously. Very good for browsing sounds, it is fast. And the size is adjustable (M1 and Wavestation - not so much), so the GUI big and beautiful (as can be). You can also favorite sounds.

The ARP needs exploration as it seems to have 100+ pattern - interesting...

So my verdict - seems like a nice step up from M1/Wavestation, it is probably heaven to program compared to actual hw Triton, but a little quirky compared to the best VSTs. It is capable though with 5 insert FX and so on. But it will never match the synthesis of a moden monster synth like Spire and the like. But it can do nice EPs, Organs, Pads, like those monster synths cannot. A bunch of unusual percussion can be found too.

Is it worth $200 for me? No, if it was $50, I would think about it, but since i have Xpand2, M1 and Wavestation - it does not add that much new. I guess if you are a Triton owner and want it in the box, or for some other nostalgia reason, then it is worth it, but it just isn't that many useful sounds for modern production.

If you want to make the 90's and 2000 type music and have nothing useful in your arsenal for those rompler sounds, then you should definitely look at the Triton VST.
    Nostrome sale price 35. Number of patches: unlumited.
    Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

28 Dec 2019

I think Roland Roland would do so well if they just sold VSTs. I'm sure they know their business but I still won't touch subscription software.

EpiGenetik

29 Dec 2019

Goriila Texas wrote:
    27 Dec 2019
    I own the Triton Studio still to this day and the pianos from 17 years ago still blow Reason trash pianos and horns away period end of discussion. I started with Reason on 2.5 and been saying this since the old PUF. Nobody who owns multiple DAWs looks towards Reason for authentic sounds. Reason strength is synths and cv. The sound quality of the Triton is not much different than the Kronos and the Kronos kills Reason on every instrument horns,organ, all the way to piano. The Triton is regarded by professionals whom made countless hits as one of the best workstations ever.

EpiGenetik wrote:
    27 Dec 2019

You can have your opinion, of course. 😊

QVprod

29 Dec 2019

About time someone else jumped on the bandwagon. It’ll sell off of nostalgia. I’d agree though it’s a steep price for some very outdated sounds.

raymondh

29 Dec 2019

EdGrip wrote:
    28 Dec 2019
    I think Roland Roland would do so well if they just sold VSTs. I'm sure they know their business but I still won't touch subscription software.
    +1000

Goriila Texas

31 Dec 2019

How does a piano,lush bells,organs and realistic brass become outdated?
    I'd put money on Korg hardware over any software for pianos,organ,bells and stabs hands down killing Radical Piano.

QVprod wrote:
    29 Dec 2019
    About time someone else jumped on the bandwagon. It’ll sell off of nostalgia. I’d agree though it’s a steep price for some very outdated sounds.

reddust

31 Dec 2019

Maybe interesting if bought together with the full bundle for $299

https://korg.shop/korg-collection-speci ... le-v2.html

I am personally only interested in ARP Odyssey as I already own Polysix

QVprod

01 Jan 2020

Goriila Texas wrote:
    31 Dec 2019
    I'd put money on Korg hardware over any software for pianos,organ,bells and stabs hands down killing Radical Piano.

Man, let’s not mention Piano and Triton in the same sentence. Korg had horrible sounding acoustic pianos until the Kronos came out. Yamaha Motif’s pianos were far superior and even those don’t stand up today’s standards for ‘realness’. Aside from that, you can still get some great sounds on the synthetic side if you do sound design yourself. But the average person is simply using the factory presets many of those, being dated back to 1999 would definitely be outdated. Especially most things ‘acoustic’. Sampling has gotten considerably more detailed than what was available back then with very limited wave rom.

Goriila Texas

01 Jan 2020

With all due respect you lost all credibility with me saying Korg and trash piano in the same breath. I’m sorry I simply cannot take anything you say from now on as coming from someone with actual knowledge and experience. You never owned a Triton and can't speak on it. You probably just listened to the dry sounds without processing on them. Me arguing with you about the Triton is like me arguing with youngsters about real hardware compressors vs software,no win in that. Your comment is so crazy I won’t even try to expose you because you exposed yourself, done talking about it. People who watched the videos can see for themselves I don’t have to say anything else.

QVprod wrote:
    01 Jan 2020
    Goriila Texas wrote:
    31 Dec 2019

Man, let’s not mention Piano and Triton in the same sentence. Korg had horrible sounding acoustic pianos until the Kronos came out. Yamaha Motif’s pianos were far superior and even those don’t stand up today’s standards for ‘realness’. Aside from that, you can still get some great sounds on the synthetic side if you do sound design yourself. But the average person is simply using the factory presets many of those, being dated back to 1999 would definitely be outdated. Especially most things ‘acoustic’. Sampling has gotten considerably more detailed than what was available back then with very limited wave rom.

QVprod

01 Jan 2020

Goriila Texas wrote:
    01 Jan 2020
    With all due respect you lost all credibility with me saying Korg and trash piano in the same breath. I’m sorry I simply cannot take anything you say from now on as coming from someone with actual knowledge and experience. Your comment is so ridiculous I won’t even try to expose you and done talking about it. People who watched the videos can see for themselves I don’t have to say anything else.
    Expose what exactly? I watched the videos, but I’ve also played Korg keyboards to have the opinion that I have. In fact a lot of musicians feel that way. If you see a triton on stage, it’s not likely you’ll hear an isolated piano sound come from it. Plenty of other things the Triton was actually good for, but I do find it odd you seem to think that nothing better has come out since 2004. It’s been almost 2 decades since the Extreme. Even Korg put out at least 4 flagship workstations since. And one of the stand out features of the Kronos was were actual good pianos.

Nonetheless, seems this plugin is perfect for you. It’s not my intent to ruin that.

Boombastix
    Competition Winner

02 Jan 2020

Arguing over the Triton piano sound is a bit nonsense IMHO. Its a bit like arguing if a square wave is better than a saw for bass sound. Or is a standing live bass better than the SH-101? Just different type of sound and different uses.

I'm no piano expert, but it made think, what pianos do I actually have: Well here it is: :o
    * Kontakt 12 (several libs)
    * XLN audio (all libs)
    * Reason (all libs)
    * Roland (MKS-20, D-70, JV-1080)
    * E-Mu (All the old Emulator libs)
    * Yamaha (all the old sample libs)
    * Korg (M1, Wavestation)
    * a few other misc libs

So based on that experience: I like the Korg pianos, because they have a different character often great for layering, something you most of the time have to do to, to fit in an electronic song, R&B, Hip Hop, House, Pop, whatever. Many of the old libs are not suitable for Adele or Orchestra, but in those cases they still record live piano, just like they did back in 2000. Only difference now we can actually use these Gb hyper-sampled libs instead of live recording, but the "character" pianos still have their place, for character, and when layering.

Another idea with Trition (starting with M1) is actually to layer big. Each patch is made up of 2 oscillators (or sample sets), each patch with filters, modulation, arp, and so on. Then the Combis are made up of up to 8 patches, that is 16 oscillators (or sample layers). That is what creates the Triton sound. What other VST does 8 layers of multi sampled instruments? Thus it is not about realism, but to mix a brass, with a guitar, and more and have sweeps mixed with arps, and those patches move like no VA can do. Digital synthesis at its best. I still think $200 is, hrmm, a bit high.

The patch designers back in those days were a different breed, and paid well, to create them, not teenagers with Serum trying to make an extra buck. That is part why it sounds different. But better, well you decide, sometimes those lush moving pads are what the song needs, sometimes it is that in your face screaming lead. Just more colors in the tool box, all good!

I just hope Korg adds new/modern patches too, would be interesting to hear what the Serum crowd can come up with using Tritons sound/architecture.
    10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
    Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

QVprod

02 Jan 2020

Boombastix wrote:
    02 Jan 2020
    Arguing over the Triton piano sound is a bit nonsense IMHO. Its a bit like arguing if a square wave is better than a saw for bass sound. Or is a standing live bass better than the SH-101? Just different type of sound and different uses.

I'm no piano expert, but it made think, what pianos do I actually have: Well here it is: :o
    * Kontakt 12 (several libs)
    * XLN audio (all libs)
    * Reason (all libs)
    * Roland (MKS-20, D-70, JV-1080)
    * E-Mu (All the old Emulator libs)
    * Yamaha (all the old sample libs)
    * Korg (M1, Wavestation)
    * a few other misc libs

So based on that experience: I like the Korg pianos, because they have a different character often great for layering, something you most of the time have to do to, to fit in an electronic song, R&B, Hip Hop, House, Pop, whatever. Many of the old libs are not suitable for Adele or Orchestra, but in those cases they still record live piano, just like they did back in 2000. Only difference now we can actually use these Gb hyper-sampled libs instead of live recording, but the "character" pianos still have their place, for character, and when layering.

Another idea with Trition (starting with M1) is actually to layer big. Each patch is made up of 2 oscillators (or sample sets), each patch with filters, modulation, arp, and so on. Then the Combis are made up of up to 8 patches, that is 16 oscillators (or sample layers). That is what creates the Triton sound. What other VST does 8 layers of multi sampled instruments? Thus it is not about realism, but to mix a brass, with a guitar, and more and have sweeps mixed with arps, and those patches move like no VA can do. Digital synthesis at its best. I still think $200 is, hrmm, a bit high.

The patch designers back in those days were a different breed, and paid well, to create them, not teenagers with Serum trying to make an extra buck. That is part why it sounds different. But better, well you decide, sometimes those lush moving pads are what the song needs, sometimes it is that in your face screaming lead. Just more colors in the tool box, all good!

I just hope Korg adds new/modern patches too, would be interesting to hear what the Serum crowd can come up with using Tritons sound/architecture.
    I completely agree, It's a very silly argument for the very reasons you listed. (as is me losing credibility :lol: ). The real point was whether the sounds are worth the price in this day and age. The oscillator and combi layering capability is pretty much standard for all keyboard workstations and is definitely where Reason got its combinator idea from. With that in mind, unless you have a desire to specifically use some old Korg sounds, I don't see much of a benefit. Could just be my preference though. I have a MODX in front of me that I'm basically just using as a midi controller when I'm not gigging with it. But to those who want the nostalgia of using these sounds, it might be a godsend. It's expensive for what it is IMHO compared to what other workstation style plugins like Sampletank offer, but it is cheaper and more convenient to use than buying the used hardware if you've always wanted one..

• Information