Pigments v2.0 is here!

Discuss VST stuff here!
raymondh

13 Dec 2019

EnochLight wrote:
13 Dec 2019
raymondh wrote:
13 Dec 2019
Unfortunately reading this thread has introduced me to Dune 3 which I've just listened to on Youtube and is now going to cost me money!!!
Dune 3 is totally worth it. Also, Richard @ Synapse is just fantastic. It’s one of the few VST I have that supports Hi-DPI displays (4K, etc), and it sounds just brilliant.

I also like that I can either use Dune 3’s browser to browse presets, or Reason’s browser.
Thanks Enoch -- I bought it. It's incredible!!!! Such a full, deep sound. The filters are spectacularly good (no surprise there since they built The Legend)

cheers!

EnochLight

13 Dec 2019

raymondh wrote:
13 Dec 2019
EnochLight wrote:
13 Dec 2019

Dune 3 is totally worth it. Also, Richard @ Synapse is just fantastic. It’s one of the few VST I have that supports Hi-DPI displays (4K, etc), and it sounds just brilliant.

I also like that I can either use Dune 3’s browser to browse presets, or Reason’s browser.
Thanks Enoch -- I bought it. It's incredible!!!! Such a full, deep sound. The filters are spectacularly good (no surprise there since they built The Legend)

cheers!
Congrats! Enjoy! Yes - I think Richard added some new filters for 3.0, along with many other improvements. It's just lovely!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

14 Dec 2019

raymondh wrote:
13 Dec 2019
EnochLight wrote:
13 Dec 2019

cheers!
Lol... Pretty much my impression 😂 the BAMBUMM sound with just the filter envelope mod enabled in analog mode is fantastic. And than that full sound! Incredible! I was really surprised and impressed. While Pigments was more like... Ok... Neet synth... Psycho colors everywhere...
Reason12, Win10

raymondh

14 Dec 2019

Loque wrote:
14 Dec 2019
raymondh wrote:
13 Dec 2019

cheers!
Lol... Pretty much my impression 😂 the BAMBUMM sound with just the filter envelope mod enabled in analog mode is fantastic. And than that full sound! Incredible! I was really surprised and impressed. While Pigments was more like... Ok... Neet synth... Psycho colors everywhere...
:lol:

SebAudio

14 Dec 2019

Do you think Europa and Grain can achieve the same kind of sounds that Pigment can ? I’m waiting for Reason Rack to provide bigger sizes to enjoy those synths but the Arturia’deal on Pigment is very tempting !!!
Thank you for sharing your thoughs !

EnochLight

14 Dec 2019

SebAudio wrote:
14 Dec 2019
Do you think Europa and Grain can achieve the same kind of sounds that Pigment can ?
In a Combinator, sure - absolutely. And endless Grains+Europas+other stock Reason synths in a Combi with a multitude of effects is arguably far more powerful than Pigments 2.0 could ever hope to be, but the question is: would you rather sound design yourself or load up some ready-to-go Pigment presets instead?

I'm still intrigued by Pigments. I've grown weary of VPS Avenger since its 1.5 launch disaster, and Pigments looks much nicer to me from the GUI/UX standpoint. And while Avenger, Dune 3, and Thorn bring different things to the table, Pigments seems to be slightly different.

I just really like its GUI/UX.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

raymondh

14 Dec 2019

SebAudio wrote:
14 Dec 2019
Do you think Europa and Grain can achieve the same kind of sounds that Pigment can ? I’m waiting for Reason Rack to provide bigger sizes to enjoy those synths but the Arturia’deal on Pigment is very tempting !!!
Thank you for sharing your thoughs !
You can functionally achieve the same kind of sounds but there is a good chance they will sound different.

In part, some of this thread has been about Dune 3. Dune 3 has an overlap with Pigments in being a Wavetable synth and yet I prefer it's sound. I reckon if you loaded up the exact same wavetables, they would still sound different. So it goes with Europa, Serum and other wavetable synths. They all have their 'sound' and their strengths.

And as EnochLight says, you're not just buying the engine, you're buying carefully crafted patches in each case.
Pigments is definitely the champion for the user interface, it's really amazing.

SebAudio

15 Dec 2019

Thanks guys. So I’ll go the Reason route ! Well, when updated graphics are there that is.

dusan.cani

15 Dec 2019

raymondh wrote:
14 Dec 2019

In part, some of this thread has been about Dune 3. Dune 3 has an overlap with Pigments in being a Wavetable synth and yet I prefer it's sound.
I haven't tried Dune3, does it have some oscillator modifiers within wavetable engine ? I mean some additional modulation which can be used to further modify the waveform.

manisnotabird

16 Dec 2019

Seems like a weird oversight that you can map different samples to different keyzones... but only in octaves from C to C. I spent a long time trying to find how to change or open a mapping editor window.

dusan.cani

17 Dec 2019

I like those FX within new granular engine.

- "Resonator" can add interesting harmonic character to the grains. I've also encountered situation when modulating the "Inharm" parameter produced nice harmonic sweeps.

- "Modulation" can add FM and RM sound to the grains. The result heavily depends on character of source samples.

- "Unison" can nicely fatten up some grain texture.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

18 Dec 2019

Looking forward to diving into Pigments over the festivities :D

reddust

18 Dec 2019

I am waiting for my next loan to get this one too, the current price as an owner of other Arturia software seems like a good deal to me. I hope the money comes not too late as I have some free days as well and would love to play with this new toy as soon as I can get it

$(username)

19 Dec 2019

I'm also got the V-Collection so Arturia offered me Pigments 2 for 49 Euro so I really couldn't resist.

I really like it. It's a good one stop synth with analog oscillators, wavetables, granular synthesis and sample playback paired with nice filters and really good effects. Eveything in one GUI and easy to modulate.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

19 Dec 2019

$(username) wrote:
19 Dec 2019
I'm also got the V-Collection so Arturia offered me Pigments 2 for 49 Euro so I really couldn't resist.
Same here.... rude not to :D

Stygian Abyss

22 Dec 2019

If you own nothing from Arturia and want Pigments, first get the currently free Rev PLATE-140:

https://www.arturia.com/reverb-gift

Then Pigments 2 will be available when you're logged in your Arturia account for 69 €/$ during the introductory period.

Ermitage

22 Dec 2019

Lame how few built-in effects there are. You'd think Arturia would be able to include some different algorithms for the various effects, but apparently choice is dangerous.

EnochLight

22 Dec 2019

Stygian Abyss wrote:
22 Dec 2019
If you own nothing from Arturia and want Pigments, first get the currently free Rev PLATE-140:

Then Pigments 2 will be available when you're logged in your Arturia account for 69 €/$ during the introductory period.
Hmmm... that's just $76.45 USD. I just might end up picking Pigments 2 up for that price. That said, I can't get Rev PLATE-140 to show up in my Arturia account that I just created. Maybe their servers are getting hammered....

hurricane
Competition Winner

22 Dec 2019

Funny how they can add a shit-ton of new things to Pigments, yet any attempt to add anything new to Thor and those genius Ex-Propellerhead folk can't do it it without breaking things. :|
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

wendylou

22 Dec 2019

Anyone using Pigments on Mac who is experiencing clicking on certain patches when more keys are pressed simultaneously, even when it does not exceed the set polyphony? I played with all the Reason buffer and performance settings in Preferences to no avail. The only thing that makes the crackle sounds go away is to lower the Output knob on Pigments 2.0. This click distortion gets recorded as well. I exported it and looked at this in iZotope RX7, and if you run DeClick (not DeClip), it goes away. Note that the level is not even close to clipping, so it's de-click that does the trick. I watched one cycle of the waveform, comparing before and after declick, and the waveform shape changes to something more smooth after declick.

I searched for any complaints about this and some folks on KVR had said it's the Mac.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

dusan.cani

23 Dec 2019

wendylou wrote:
22 Dec 2019
Anyone using Pigments on Mac who is experiencing clicking on certain patches when more keys are pressed simultaneously, even when it does not exceed the set polyphony? I played with all the Reason buffer and performance settings in Preferences to no avail. The only thing that makes the crackle sounds go away is to lower the Output knob on Pigments 2.0. This click distortion gets recorded as well. I exported it and looked at this in iZotope RX7, and if you run DeClick (not DeClip), it goes away. Note that the level is not even close to clipping, so it's de-click that does the trick. I watched one cycle of the waveform, comparing before and after declick, and the waveform shape changes to something more smooth after declick.

I searched for any complaints about this and some folks on KVR had said it's the Mac.
I don't know if this is related to your case but "Matrix" filter type causes clicks on attack. See the topic here:

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=98545.0

EnochLight

23 Dec 2019

Stygian Abyss wrote:
22 Dec 2019

Eh, so their tech support finally got me sorted. Ended up getting Pigments 2.0 for just $69 USD. That's pretty damn cheap - thanks for the tip!

jlgrimes

23 Dec 2019

hurricane wrote:
22 Dec 2019
Funny how they can add a shit-ton of new things to Pigments, yet any attempt to add anything new to Thor and those genius Ex-Propellerhead folk can't do it it without breaking things. :|
Well Arturia being a softsynth company will naturally do faster update cycles than Props, who is more of a DAW host.

But that said with the Rack VST now, Reason is marketed more as a soft synth alternative to something like Arturia, so updating legacy devices is something they will eventually have to do.

wendylou

23 Dec 2019

dusan.cani wrote:
23 Dec 2019
wendylou wrote:
22 Dec 2019

I don't know if this is related to your case but "Matrix" filter type causes clicks on attack. See the topic here:

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=98545.0
Very helpful, thank you! I posted about this now on Arturia's forum about the clicks.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

• Information