Nexus 2 vs serum

Discuss VST stuff here!
samsome

16 Nov 2019

Question.....from a newbie

I am basically asking if Nexus could have every sound made by Serum as a preset....even if they don't exist now as a preset, i am just asking if thats possible, if its within Nexus capabilities to include all sounds made by Serum as a preset...(again repeating, even if they don't exist now as a preset)

Oquasec

16 Nov 2019

I think you could make nexus libraries not too sure.
when it comes to serum tho you'd most likely wanna just draw the wavetables and load them into another synth or some shit
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

samsome

16 Nov 2019

Oquasec wrote:
16 Nov 2019
when it comes to serum tho you'd most likely wanna just draw the wavetables and load them into another synth or some shit
why is this, why load them into another synth

Oquasec

16 Nov 2019

Because they are directly compatible with each other and the workflow fills the gap.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

groggy1

16 Nov 2019

If the makers of Nexus tried to make a new library of "Serum" presets, they could probably come *close*.

Nexus is a ROMpler, meaning that sounds are based on a sample (rather than an algorithmic oscilator). So there's no reason they couldn't just sample a particular Serum sound, and thus have a Nexus preset that sounds just like Serum.

The problem, I think, is that Nexus usually takes a *dry* (no effects) sample, and then layers its own effects on-top of it - e.g. reverb, delay. This makes the overall sound more realistic, and gives you control over things like reverb length, delay paramters, etc. So, you'd be hearing the reverb algorithm of Nexus, rather than the reverb algorithm built into Serum. That's why I think the sound would only come *close*, but wouldn't be identical to Serum's sound.

Goriila Texas

16 Nov 2019

Might want to wait Nexus 3 is on the way https://refx.com/

Which is better depends on if you know about sound design or just want to go off presets. Nexus has more electronic music expansions than Serum.

• Information