Reason 11 - only VST2.4? Not VST3?

Discuss VST stuff here!
miyaru

31 Oct 2019

Hello, I think Reason 11 does not recognize VST3 FX plugins, is this correct? Strange as you use the racks in say Ableton Live it is a VST3......... Am I correct, then I know what to do when I want to use VST's in Reason 11.

Thanx in advance!!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

Loque

31 Oct 2019

No VST3 support in Reason yet.
Reason12, Win10

miyaru

31 Oct 2019

Thanx!!!! :mrgreen:
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

Oquasec

31 Oct 2019

nope. only minihost
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

xboix

31 Oct 2019

miyaru wrote:
31 Oct 2019
Hello, I think Reason 11 does not recognize VST3 FX plugins, is this correct? Strange as you use the racks in say Ableton Live it is a VST3......... Am I correct, then I know what to do when I want to use VST's in Reason 11.

Thanx in advance!!!!
Yes it is ridiculous.
Reason 11 standalone supports only VST2.
Reason 11 rack is only available as VST3.

Blue Cat's PatchWork will allow you to host VST3 in Reason but it is not cheap.

Loque

31 Oct 2019

xboix wrote:
31 Oct 2019
miyaru wrote:
31 Oct 2019

Thanx in advance!!!!
Yes it is ridiculous.
Reason 11 standalone supports only VST2.
Reason 11 rack is only available as VST3.

Blue Cat's PatchWork will allow you to host VST3 in Reason but it is not cheap.
Maybe you guys should become aware, that supporting VST3 means supporting VST2.4 AND VST3, which are two different interfaces and double of the problems. It is easier to provide a plugin in VST3 only instead of a app supporting two interface through out the whole app...So keep calm guys...it will come...and i am in no hurry...
Reason12, Win10

xboix

31 Oct 2019

Loque wrote:
31 Oct 2019

Maybe you guys should become aware, that supporting VST3 means supporting VST2.4 AND VST3, which are two different interfaces and double of the problems. It is easier to provide a plugin in VST3 only instead of a app supporting two interface through out the whole app...So keep calm guys...it will come...and i am in no hurry...
I'm well aware of that thank you. Maybe you should become aware that VST2 has been deprecated for some years time and new developers are subject to Steinberg's licensing rules that say they can only release VST3 plugins. So Reason Rack could not be released as VST2. It also means that every day/week/month new plugins will be launched by other companies that are not currently supported by Reason. As usual Reason is behind the curve and will, as a consequence, will annoy some of their valuable customers.

diminished
Competition Winner

31 Oct 2019

gotta ask. boingy?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Dogcat

31 Oct 2019

xboix wrote:
31 Oct 2019

I'm well aware of that thank you. Maybe you should become aware that VST2 has been deprecated for some years time and new developers are subject to Steinberg's licensing rules that say they can only release VST3 plugins. So Reason Rack could not be released as VST2. It also means that every day/week/month new plugins will be launched by other companies that are not currently supported by Reason. As usual Reason is behind the curve and will, as a consequence, will annoy some of their valuable customers.
Lots of new plugins are still released in the VST 2.4 format. Take a look at Izotope, Arturia, Waves... all releasing v.2.4 plugins very recently.

xboix

31 Oct 2019

Dogcat wrote:
31 Oct 2019
xboix wrote:
31 Oct 2019

Lots of new plugins are still released in the VST 2.4 format. Take a look at Izotope, Arturia, Waves... all releasing v.2.4 plugins very recently.
That's correct. The Steinberg license allows existing plugins to continue as VST2 but plans to "end of life" VST2 was announced in 2013 with all SDK support being removed in 2018. If you are a new VST developer you have no option to produce VST2s.VST2 will eventually go the way of 32-bit plugins and black and white TV. That's progress, as they say.

Loque

31 Oct 2019

xboix wrote:
31 Oct 2019
Loque wrote:
31 Oct 2019

I am aware of that, thank you. I sm not in a hurry for VST3.
Reason12, Win10

Oquasec

31 Oct 2019

If it's one thing I know, it's that it's not gonna ever have all the features of something else.
It's just never gonna be something else.
It will always be Reason. Not something else.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

zoidkirb

31 Oct 2019

diminished wrote:
31 Oct 2019
gotta ask. boingy?
Sometimes I get the feeling these forums are infiltrated by smurfs too! :puf_wink:

jlgrimes

31 Oct 2019

xboix wrote:
31 Oct 2019
Dogcat wrote:
31 Oct 2019

That's correct. The Steinberg license allows existing plugins to continue as VST2 but plans to "end of life" VST2 was announced in 2013 with all SDK support being removed in 2018. If you are a new VST developer you have no option to produce VST2s.VST2 will eventually go the way of 32-bit plugins and black and white TV. That's progress, as they say.
That said VST 2.4 is a well known standard, it probably wont die off until new OSs evolve which could be some time.

zoidkirb

31 Oct 2019

I did a quick Google search for what vst3 only vst's come up. Lo and behold I found this:

viewtopic.php?t=7508745

I do kinda wonder if there will be a spike in vst3 only plugins or is Steinberg really trying to force something that most of the industry don't care for.

guitfnky

31 Oct 2019

Loque wrote:
31 Oct 2019
xboix wrote:
31 Oct 2019

I am aware of that, thank you. I sm not in a hurry for VST3.
good for you. it’s still a desirable feature for lots of us though.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

ShelLuser

31 Oct 2019

I can't help think that VST3 is overhyped anyway. The main reason I stick to 2 for now is because if I enable 3 in Live I have to expand either VST2 or VST3 subfolder before I can get to my plugins, seriously annoying. And since I have quite a few VST2's I'm sticking to that for now.
--- :reason:

zoidkirb

31 Oct 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
31 Oct 2019
I can't help think that VST3 is overhyped anyway. The main reason I stick to 2 for now is because if I enable 3 in Live I have to expand either VST2 or VST3 subfolder before I can get to my plugins, seriously annoying. And since I have quite a few VST2's I'm sticking to that for now.
Yeah kinda weird how Live wants to segregate 2.4 and 3 like that. Doesn't affect me though as I access all of my plugs via the favourites section anyway.

xboix

01 Nov 2019

jlgrimes wrote:
31 Oct 2019

That said VST 2.4 is a well known standard, it probably wont die off until new OSs evolve which could be some time.
I absolutely agree. VST2 will be with us for a long time but new plugins will increasingly be available only as VST3. So Reason needs to support VST3 in addition to VST2.

bluebeatshelter

05 Dec 2019

Hi Folks,

Steinberg announced the end for VST2 already in early 2018 (https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandeve ... -4727.html). Consequently many devs will stop supporting VST2. I guess it's gonna run like with the 32bit Plugins, but without any bridge or stuff.

Eurikon

17 Feb 2021

Time to BUMP this thread, i guess, this is seriously long overdue.
By now all of my favourite plugins have already released their versions in VST3, and some plugins are only released as VST3 (including Reason Rack Plugin!!!!).
★ --------------------------------------- ★
https://www.youtube.com/c/Eurikon
https://eurikon.bandcamp.com
https://instagram.com/eurikon_music
★ --------------------------------------- ★

moneykube

17 Feb 2021

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 3.37.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 3.37.20 AM.png (402.11 KiB) Viewed 11342 times
before vst 3 ... how about full midi support in vst 2... this should not even be an issue since 9.5 and "VST" support came out a long time ago in reason... Why RS can not implement it properly is a complete mystery to me. Oh... no it's not... they don't really give a flying f##k Fix the bugs and implement VST 2... too much to expect.????> will this post be deleted :lol: ????so many , many questions.
viewtopic.php?f=4&p=543207#p543207
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

arnigretar

19 Feb 2021

Interesting, I had forgotten Reason doesn't support VST3. I am not using it myself, although I use the RRP as vst3 in Ableton Live. But out of curiosity, why hasn't this just been made available in Reason 11 yet? And is Reason the only DAW that doesn't yet support vst3 or are there others that don't? (besides Live).
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

DaveyG

19 Feb 2021

arnigretar wrote:
19 Feb 2021
Interesting, I had forgotten Reason doesn't support VST3. I am not using it myself, although I use the RRP as vst3 in Ableton Live. But out of curiosity, why hasn't this just been made available in Reason 11 yet? And is Reason the only DAW that doesn't yet support vst3 or are there others that don't? (besides Live).
Live does support VST3 now. Ableton were quite late to the party. Reason Studios have not yet arrived at the party.

RS claim VST compatibility but it should really say "partial compatibility". VST3 is growing. If, for example, you've been happily using Melodyne VST in Reason you suddenly find you cannot upgrade it to the latest version because they have dropped support for VST2.4. How many more things like that will it take for RS to take notice?

jjrh

19 Feb 2021

DaveyG wrote:
19 Feb 2021
How many more things like that will it take for RS to take notice?
I'm sure props is well aware that VST3 support is needed and i'd be shocked if it's not being actively developed. VST3 is a big feature and it's not going to happen overnight and if you remember VST support in reason was initially pretty rocky.

In the short term i'm seriously considering https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/ to get around this limitation.

ShelLuser wrote:
31 Oct 2019
I can't help think that VST3 is overhyped anyway.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/company/te ... /vst3.html

VST3 has a lot of cool features and could result in really tight integration with the rack and function much closer to a native RE. At minimum the performance improvements seem pretty appealing.

• Information