Abbey Road Studios Brilliance Pack

Discuss VST stuff here!
Periwinkle

22 Oct 2019

I remember using the Brilliance Pack demo before Abbey Road plugins were taken onboard by Softube. It really hit the spot for me. I've tried other plugins in Reason, including Red Rock's RE 202 Exciter, but it doesn't seem to really do the same job.

Quite frankly, I don't have a spare €200 floating around. Couple this with the fact that I'm not a great fan of Softube generally anyway since they announced that they would be ending support for REs - and anyway, I think their plugins are probably overpriced. (Yeah, I know, no one's forcing people to buy them.)

Anyways up, many people have said that they are nothing more than EQ boost (perhaps with a little analogue warmth added)
So my question is, how would I go about recreating these effects within Reason. Obviously I've got all the included plugins and I also have the ones included in the Mix & Mastering Rig 4.
Added to that, other plugs I've got which might be useful in recreating this are:

Devastator 2
FabFilter Pro-Q 3
Klanghelm IVG12
Klanghelm SDRR2
PSP Vintage Warmer 2
U-he Uhbik

Obviously, there are others, but I think these might be the most relevant.

Any ideas, guys?

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

Loque

22 Oct 2019

While I am sitting here and waiting for Selig's professional EQ analysis, here is what i would do...

* Add two tracks with white noise.
* In one, add the FabFilter EQ, the other one the what ever EQ.
* Now feed the other EQed audio into FabFilter and let it create a response curve or just view the differences

If you see several different spikes, it might be saturation, probably with even/odd combinations in different loudness. The biggest curve is probably the EQ curve itself.
Reason12, Win10

Periwinkle

23 Oct 2019

Yes, I guess that would make sense. In theory, if I can analyse it, I should be able to reproduce it. Although, having demoed them already, I don't know if I'll still have access to the trial plugins.

This review goes into quite some detail about the frequencies boosted, so I've had a play with Pro-Q.

I've also been reading up on exciters generally, and it seems that many of them also utilise phase manipulation, harmonic synthesis. It's all beginning to sound a little bit involved.

― Banksy

Loque

23 Oct 2019

Periwinkle wrote:
23 Oct 2019
I've also been reading up on exciters generally, and it seems that many of them also utilise phase manipulation, harmonic synthesis. It's all beginning to sound a little bit involved.
Uhhh...difficult stuff...Just adding a parallel EQ track with additional saturation introduces all that kind of stuff...
Reason12, Win10

Periwinkle

23 Oct 2019

Okay, I'll experiment with various forms of saturation and EQ. However, I suspect I'll still need a liberal dose of Expecto Patronum.

Thanks for your help.

― Banksy

selig
RE Developer

23 Oct 2019

I've not tested these, but from all I've been able to gather, these EQs are bell shaped and fairly wide - I initially thought they were high shelf curves, but apparently not. There is also some debate online as to whether or not there actually is any color added (on KVR: so as always YMMV…).

But I have to say that this type of early/passive single band EQ was exactly what originally inspired the concept behind the Selig ColoringEQ. That is to say, I originally asked myself "what would it sound like if when you added EQ, saturation was also added based specifically on the frequency, width, and gain settings of the EQ?". And the very first prototype I built was basically a high frequency boost/saturator much like the Abbey Road Brilliance EQs, except mine used a high shelf. And the sound I heard immediately convinced me to develop the concept into an actual product.

Assuming you have Mix/Mastering Rig 4, you've already got the ColoringEQ! Try this setting - starting with the default settings, on the high band (band 5) increase drive to between 50-60%, then boost a few dB gain while listening to the sound in question. You will get a very smooth and gentle top end boost with some added harmonic "excitement" added in parallel with the original/EQ'd signal. This is similar to what an exciter does: the added ("synthesized") harmonics, phase manipulation, and HF boost. But ColoringEQ does this without any of the harshness associated with exciters in general (I never liked exciters myself). Naturally, you can do this with all EQ bands at any frequency - low frequency saturation is especially sweet sounding on drums and bass IMO. And besides the innovative saturation approach, the EQ on its own will stand up next to any on the market IMHO (!).
Selig Audio, LLC

Periwinkle

23 Oct 2019

The problem (albeit a first-world one), is that with bulk purchases like the Mix/Mastering Rig, there never seems to be time to explore all the plugins. Some are neglected. I'm ashamed to say, that for me, your Coloring EQ has been one of them.

But I have been a fool - This EQ goes way beyond the possibilities of an ordinary EQ and has much more flexibility than the Softube plugins.

Thanks for creating such a great plugin - I'm gonna be using it A LOT.

― Banksy

selig
RE Developer

23 Oct 2019

Periwinkle wrote:
23 Oct 2019
The problem (albeit a first-world one), is that with bulk purchases like the Mix/Mastering Rig, there never seems to be time to explore all the plugins. Some are neglected. I'm ashamed to say, that for me, your Coloring EQ has been one of them.

But I have been a fool - This EQ goes way beyond the possibilities of an ordinary EQ and has much more flexibility than the Softube plugins.

Thanks for creating such a great plugin - I'm gonna be using it A LOT.
If you have questions, feel free to ask!
Selig Audio, LLC

Boombastix
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2019

Exciters, enhancers - there is a bunch of them, doing different things, but are named almost the same. Also, tape noise reducers, but using only encoding (not decoding). Confusing to say the least. Aphex did some great work on these on the HW side many years ago. Still my point of reference.
Of everything I have tested only one (so far) have let me retire the hw. Audiffex STA there is an enhancer (exciter) in that bundle. Sounds like a million bucks. So far no EQ, saturator, etc can touch it (not even waves Aphex simulation).

Pro tip - use sparingly and check you mix next day if you are new to exciters - easy to overdo it until you develop the experience.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

xboix

24 Oct 2019

It must be good. It's got Abbey Road in the title. That's worth 100 bucks on its own.
Or so they would have you believe!

• Information