Loop slicer VST

Discuss VST stuff here!
dezma

09 Oct 2019

I'm looking for recommendations for loop slicing VST's

I'm looking for following core functionality:

User friendly
Drag and drop WAV/AIFF/MP3 samples from host (so NOT only internal browser)
Auto suggest slices based on transient sensitivity + user editing of slices
Export to piano roll of internal sequencer - this one is missing in most VST's I'm looking at. Export to audio is a plus, but I guess track freeze does the same.
Preferably editing such as reverse/pitch/filter etc of individual slices (Bonus would be if it could be a full blown glitch machine with extra fx such as delay, reverb, bitcrush, repeat,...)

What I've been looking at and why it's not ticking all boxes (as far as I can see only :P )

Vice VST: ticks a lot of boxes, but samples do not load using drag and drop from host
Egoist VST: looks like fun, don't care too much about the bass/beat, no option to export to DAW piano roll, or didn't find anything in the manual that could let you export midi/audio
Slicex: way too complex
Nerve VST: slices to 1/16th, and no individual editing (in it's defence, it's no in essence a loop slicer)
Beatcleaver: looks like it runs on windows 3.11, I have windows 10 however

Vice is in the lead for it's very clear interface, and piano roll export, but I'd like to hear other opinions.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

10 Oct 2019

Just out of interest..... your loops.... why not enter 'slice edit' mode in Reason sequencer, then select right click the clip and 'bounce clip to REX', so you then have an RX2 file ready and waiting to be thrown into an Octorex or Nurse Rex (Kong)? You can also 'split at slices' on the audio too for quick audio cutting method

Saves hunting for a VST slice'n'dicer.... the only down side to the 'clip to Rex' method is that it works at Recycle's default settings of 40% stretch for the slice tails (if you slow the loop down for example you wont get insta-click or cuts, just more faded signal where gaps would occur)

If you do choose the REX option, and you have Recycle, you can edit your loops further in that - dated, perhaps.. but still works and youcan throw Rex's into Reason's sequencer or Rex slices into separate instruments so Rex slice 1 gets treated as a WAV file in say Redrum or Kong or even just drag that single hit into the sequencer too, the REX becomes a clever folder.

Edit: In fact what you describe is what can be done with Dr.Octorex.... Reverse slices, pitch edit slices, slice to different output and there's 8 you can choose from so yeah extra glitchy stuff for specific hits by creating your own signal chains all possible in Reason as is.... have a look at Octorex see if that fills the void

Edit 2: Reason 11 as VST is another possible option, but you would need to feed the Octorex Rex /RX2 loops directly instead of doing the Reason sequencer method (so Recycle or using Reason to create Rex's may be the option there for another DAW)

dezma

10 Oct 2019

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
10 Oct 2019
Just out of interest..... your loops.... why not enter 'slice edit' mode in Reason sequencer, then select right click the clip and 'bounce clip to REX', so you then have an RX2 file ready and waiting to be thrown into an Octorex or Nurse Rex (Kong)? You can also 'split at slices' on the audio too for quick audio cutting method

Saves hunting for a VST slice'n'dicer.... the only down side to the 'clip to Rex' method is that it works at Recycle's default settings of 40% stretch for the slice tails (if you slow the loop down for example you wont get insta-click or cuts, just more faded signal where gaps would occur)

If you do choose the REX option, and you have Recycle, you can edit your loops further in that - dated, perhaps.. but still works and youcan throw Rex's into Reason's sequencer or Rex slices into separate instruments so Rex slice 1 gets treated as a WAV file in say Redrum or Kong or even just drag that single hit into the sequencer too, the REX becomes a clever folder.

Edit: In fact what you describe is what can be done with Dr.Octorex.... Reverse slices, pitch edit slices, slice to different output and there's 8 you can choose from so yeah extra glitchy stuff for specific hits by creating your own signal chains all possible in Reason as is.... have a look at Octorex see if that fills the void

Edit 2: Reason 11 as VST is another possible option, but you would need to feed the Octorex Rex /RX2 loops directly instead of doing the Reason sequencer method (so Recycle or using Reason to create Rex's may be the option there for another DAW)
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, however 99% of my loops are not rex loops but wav, and I'm not using reason sequencer any more. Opening reason just for creating rex would be killing the workflow, especially now that they discontinued rewire and you'd need to close your daw, and open reason standalone..

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

10 Oct 2019

Cubase can do hit point detection similar to Recycle would (and Reason) so check your daw first to see what it can do as another option

bigguy1

11 Oct 2019

I found that on the web. Just watched the promo video but it looks very nice.
https://accusonus.com/products/rhythmiq

• Information