Sonivox Orchestral Companion - Strings (£3.49) ($4.31) (€3.93)

Discuss VST stuff here!
Periwinkle

27 Sep 2019

This ad has just popped up in my browser. I have no connection whatsoever with Sonivox or Plugin Boutique. I don't own this plugin and I cannot vouch for its quality. However, (£3.49) ($4.31) (€3.93) seems pretty cheap to me for even a halfway decent string rompler. I recently bought StringWERK - Studio Strings, and I'm very happy with them but, if I remember correctly, they were almost £100.00. Anyway, there's a trial download so people can decide for themselves.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products ... ktEALw_wcB

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

diminished
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2019

I picked them up with some virtual cash for 5€ in total. I'm sure they're not Spitfire quality but I thought I'd let them fill my orchestral void in the rack. Decent enough and better than the free sforzando stuff.

Downloading them was a bit weird, you have to find the links in the PDFs pluginbutique provides.

Edit: them = strings, brass and woodwinds. Got them all.
Last edited by diminished on 27 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

boingy

27 Sep 2019

I bought it just to get whatever the freebie was at PB that month (it was the cheapest thing I could find!)

I was genuinely surprised at how good it is but I'll probably never use it because I have a zillion other options for strings.

There is also a brass and a woodwind version at the same price.

Periwinkle

27 Sep 2019

I notice that most of the Sonivox stuff is quite cheap. I guess I tend to fall into the psychological trap of assuming that low price equates to low quality. No doubt this is often the case, but there are definitely exceptions.

I recently purchased the Klanghelm MJUC compressor (which is actually a set of three different compressor types) for 24 €. It's probably the only channel compressor you would ever need, and no one seems to be able to work out why it's so cheap.
I also recently got the Valhalla VintageVerb, RoomVerb, Plate and Delay. Quite frankly these are breathtakingly good and at $50 each, it's a no brainer.

Conversely, Softube's FET Compressor costs around £150 (I got it as part of the bundle), and I can't for the life of me see what all the fuss is about. At a third of the price (and less as part of a bundle), I would always choose one of the McDSP compressors in preference to the FET.

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

MonsterRadioMan

27 Sep 2019

I'm pretty sure they're the same samples from the ableton orchestra library (made by sonnivox) that comes with ableton suite. So they're not bad at all.

I was once bored and recording some string library stuff to audio just to kind of compare the different libraries. I was using the same audio track. Then I noticed that the orchestral companion samples and the ableton samples wave forms looked exactly the same. Googled it and sure enough sonnivox made them for ableton. Anyways, they're not bad at all. They're at least as good as abletons factory library!! Lol

boingy

27 Sep 2019

MonsterRadioMan wrote:
27 Sep 2019
I'm pretty sure they're the same samples from the ableton orchestra library (made by sonnivox) that comes with ableton suite. So they're not bad at all.

I was once bored and recording some string library stuff to audio just to kind of compare the different libraries. I was using the same audio track. Then I noticed that the orchestral companion samples and the ableton samples wave forms looked exactly the same. Googled it and sure enough sonnivox made them for ableton. Anyways, they're not bad at all. They're at least as good as abletons factory library!! Lol
I didn't know about the Ableton connection but they are definitely a subset of the samples that formed a huge (and expensive) Sonnivox orchestral library, the name of which eludes me. It would not surprise me to see them licensed to a few different places. Every DAW manufacturer needs that type of sample and they are hardly going to commission expensive new ones if they can just buy them in from somewhere. Easy money for Sonnivox.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2019

The Spiccato is VERY good - $5 bucks or whatever is a nobrainer if you need that sound. Switching between sus and spic works well and it is easy to do swells with the 6dB filter.
A very nice complement to my Hyperion strings. Million dollar sound when layered.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information