SketchCassette - It's Awesome!!!!

Discuss VST stuff here!
User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 790
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 30 Jul 2019

VST3, AU, and AAX - poo on you Propellerhead for not supporting VST3 or AU.

This thing sounds amazing. Only $20.

https://aberrantdsp.com/plugins/sketchcassette/

https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music
Mac mini (Late 2012) | macOS Mojave | Logic Pro X | Pro Tools | Reason | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | Steinberg UR22mkII | Emagic AMT 8 | Mackie SR24x4 | StudioLogic SL 990 PRO

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6112
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 30 Jul 2019

hurricane wrote:
30 Jul 2019
VST3, AU, and AAX - poo on you Propellerhead for not supporting VST3 or AU.

This thing sounds amazing. Only $20.

https://aberrantdsp.com/plugins/sketchcassette/
Yeah I was looking at this as well. I have CRAPRE 2 which is great, but can never get enough of these fun gadgets :puf_smile: I like the GUI too.

This seems to be the trend with newer plugins being released as VST3 only, particularly with new developers, now that VST2 support is gone from Steinberg.

For other developers, I've noticed them migrating macOS first, since they figure, "The customer must certainly be able to use either AU or VST3..."

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1528
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the new york

Post 30 Jul 2019

Extra points for company name Aberrant DSP.
Don't get me wrong cos cassettes was my jam, but then I'm old as fuck.
And peeps are now chasing this particular form of sound degradation?
You kids need to stop tramping down my chosen music delivery system. Also stop glorifying it, it sucked. But you knew that...
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 680
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 30 Jul 2019

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 790
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 30 Jul 2019

Wish I could get a refund on that one. You can't even save presets. The sound is basic. Could get WAY better results with free Reaktor ensembles. :thumbs_down: :thumbs_down:
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music
Mac mini (Late 2012) | macOS Mojave | Logic Pro X | Pro Tools | Reason | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | Steinberg UR22mkII | Emagic AMT 8 | Mackie SR24x4 | StudioLogic SL 990 PRO

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1027
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 30 Jul 2019

I demoed that Klevgrand one too, and also found it pretty underwhelming. the video makes it seem awesome, but I’m glad I checked it out before buying.

does this one have a demo?

User avatar
boingy
Posts: 428
Joined: 01 Feb 2019

Post 31 Jul 2019

joeyluck wrote:
30 Jul 2019

This seems to be the trend with newer plugins being released as VST3 only, particularly with new developers, now that VST2 support is gone from Steinberg.
Yep, we can look forward to a future where new stuff is VST3 only. Steinberg have been phasing out VST2 support for 6 years now.

That means that Props need to add VST3 support to Reason or else remove their marketing claim that Reason supports VSTs!

owlymane
Posts: 139
Joined: 27 Feb 2019

Post 31 Jul 2019

hurricane wrote:
30 Jul 2019
Wish I could get a refund on that one. You can't even save presets. The sound is basic. Could get WAY better results with free Reaktor ensembles. :thumbs_down: :thumbs_down:
Me too...looks amazing but sounds shallow

Steedus
Posts: 198
Joined: 31 Aug 2015

Post 01 Aug 2019

It's not exactly a cassette tape plugin, but I love Audiothing's 'Reels' plugin. It's way more lofi than most other reel-to-reel plugs and does tape emulation, tape noise, motor noise, delay and the tape stop effect.

User avatar
Libraquaricorn
Posts: 308
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Aug 2019

Steedus wrote:
01 Aug 2019
It's not exactly a cassette tape plugin, but I love Audiothing's 'Reels' plugin. It's way more lofi than most other reel-to-reel plugs and does tape emulation, tape noise, motor noise, delay and the tape stop effect.
What Steedus said!

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 943
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 01 Aug 2019

motuscott wrote:
30 Jul 2019
And peeps are now chasing this particular form of sound degradation?
That trend is almost over. Just search on youtube for ambient tape loop. Check out Hainbach on youtube, too, before he got into using test equipment for musical purposes.
Tbh it's a quite fun and hands on experience, using old cassette players or multitracks as outboard gear, modding them (covering the erase head), making said tape loops - or put a few drones on them, different chords - and fade the tracks of the multitrack in and out. Put effect pedals in the chain. Slow everything down.

The newest thing is shitty early 90s Casio keyboards from thrift stores.

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 943
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 01 Aug 2019

Don't forget esselfortium's work of art, SL.FX.Tapedeck! I love it:

viewtopic.php?t=7512876

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1528
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the new york

Post 01 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
01 Aug 2019
motuscott wrote:
30 Jul 2019
And peeps are now chasing this particular form of sound degradation?
That trend is almost over. Just search on youtube for ambient tape loop. Check out Hainbach on youtube, too, before he got into using test equipment for musical purposes.
Tbh it's a quite fun and hands on experience, using old cassette players or multitracks as outboard gear, modding them (covering the erase head), making said tape loops - or put a few drones on them, different chords - and fade the tracks of the multitrack in and out. Put effect pedals in the chain. Slow everything down.

The newest thing is shitty early 90s Casio keyboards from thrift stores.
not the first time I've been wrong
proud owner of a Casio SK-1
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

DougalDarkly
Posts: 13
Joined: 31 Jul 2019

Post 01 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
01 Aug 2019
The newest thing is shitty early 90s Casio keyboards from thrift stores.
Not such a new thing - I owned a bunch back in the 80s - here are a couple of classics using a VL-1 and a PT-20 respectively (the second clip is Art of Noise btw):




Everything comes back around, just in a slightly different way - just like a tape-loop ;)

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 680
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 02 Aug 2019

This one is $19 bucks atm, demo vid sounds OK. But it is a CPU HOG (beware)! Can do very subtle to FX style tape/vinyl stuff.
Initial Audio Analog Pro.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest