Roland Cloud synths clicking and popping with HT

Discuss VST stuff here!
Ad0

14 Jul 2019

Does anyone else experience this? I had to switch HT off in order to get rid of clicking and popping.
I am using reason 10.4.

HT on = 2 bars in DSP
HT off = 1 bar.

Ad0

23 Jul 2019

Nobody?

bitley

23 Jul 2019

It's not where you should be looking really because as always it all begins with the soundcard settings; something we old reason heads have to bang out to the world on a non stop basis. Your computer's CPU or other tech is irrelevant as everything comes down to how well Reason speaks with the audio interface. And who am I to say this? I'm a guy who actually used to run the entire product support at Propellerhead. :)

Ad0

23 Jul 2019

Roland synths are the only plugins that are causing this problem, whereas there are heavier plugs that do not cause this problem. My issue is not the soundcard and buffer settings, since it's an RME HDSPe ADAT card with 128 samples buffer size.

bitley

23 Jul 2019

But it is – because if you increase the buffer size you will be giving more headroom to your VST plugins as they apparently need this. If you want optimized code and minimum latency, you should be looking at Subtractor and Thor. VST plugins are often designed in ways that will need much more "headroom" (buffering) in order to work properly. Their main focus wasn't optimizing the code; their main focus was mimicking the exact behaviour of hardware equipment by creating virtual copies of every single chip. This creates a much heavier solution for the computer to handle. Subtractor - as an example - was created to maximise the potential of the computer. So it's different design methodology and your results may vary but clearly you need to increase the buffer in order to get useful results. As for hyperthreading – if you have it you should probably be using it if it yields better results but the audio settings are always the most important ones.

Ad0

23 Jul 2019

It doesn't click and pop when I turn HT off so the result should have been the opposite of it was a buffer thing. They barely use any cpu.

bitley

23 Jul 2019

:mrgreen: You still have to tweak your audio settings if audio is not perfect.

Naturally you can't have things disturbing the computer in other areas either, so switch off wifi and kill any background applications & only have Reason as the active software and kill as many as possible background processes.

Ad0

23 Jul 2019

This setup has worked for years and I know all of the things that has to so with buffer size etc. I've been doing this since the 90s.

Do you have Roland cloud?

bitley

23 Jul 2019

I have been doing this since the 80s so I win ;)

Check for all possible software updates to every part of your system & check with Roland's support.

I'm personally too intimidated by subscription schemes to even want to try it but I know every Roland synth and I have a few favourites in trusty hardware. But I know the brand well enough to say that they basically wouldn't ever release anything that wasn't working well.
Last edited by bitley on 23 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Ad0

23 Jul 2019

They have a trial :)

bitley

23 Jul 2019

I don't want it ;)

Ad0

23 Jul 2019

Also it works fine I reaper. So it might be a reason issue.

bitley

23 Jul 2019

It might be that Roland mainly focused on the 64 bit / newer technology and the various VST standards – a bad joke in itself as a standard must be a standard and not something variable. Reason might be the troublemaker here but still Reason has opened up for the VST standard so it's not right to blame Propellerhead either. I'll blame the VST "standard" itself.

WongoTheSane

23 Jul 2019

HT doesn't mean that Reason will use all cores, it means that it will handle the spreading of tasks differently. If that handling conflicts with the plugin's, you'll get crackes and pops. Besides, some hardware setups never benefit from having this setting enabled (that's my case: if I enable it, I get crackles no matter what). The settings was made to enable a few users with a particular configuration to squeeze a few cycles out of their CPUs. It's obviously not the case for your hardware setup: disable it, Reason will run faster and smoother. Don't think that Reason will use the cores less, it's not the case.

Ad0

23 Jul 2019

Yeah the funny thing is that the CPU meter went down when disabling. Maybe the overhead of scheduling with HT was greater than what you get from it in many cases.
The synchronization in HT can take time, and to "uncooperative" VSTs that might lead to significant delays and cause crackles since it doesn't make the buffer "deadline" so to speak.

I will be having HT off from now on. Any idea what Reaper does internally with HT?

• Information