Plug in support beyond VST2

Discuss VST stuff here!

What are your plug in format desires for Reason?

I am happy with VST2 only
13%
I want VST3 support
64%
I want AU support
No votes
I want VST3 and AU support
23%

Total votes: 47
Failed Muso

07 Jul 2019

Since Reason embraced VST support, I have been patiently waiting for them to add further plugin formats, specifically VST3 and/or AU. As yet, this hasn't been forthcoming, and I am increasingly under the impression that it won't be coming anytime soon. Whenever I mention it to anyone within Propellerhead, I am met with any number of reasons (no pun intended) why VST2 is "just fine" and "what the majority of plugins support anyway".

Back in 2013, VST2 ceased to be developed further and in October 2018, it was officially closed down, with no further maintenance or tech support. The subset within the VST3 SDK was also removed. Whilst the VST2 protocol is still supported, many developers are now removing it and some no longer offer it at all.

For example, if you subscribe to Roland Cloud and use a Mac, you can't use any of their plugins within Reason as the Mac versions of their stuff only support VST3 or AU, neither of which are supported by Reason. VST2 is only supported with the Windows versions. I spoke to Roland Cloud who categorically told me that VST2 support for Mac is not going to happen.

Another example I recently discovered was the ModalAPP that comes with Modal's new desktop synths, SKULPT and CRAFT 2.0. This comes in VST3 and AU flavours only. Completely useless in Reason.

And there are other examples and more will surely follow. So, I wanted to gauge the opinion of other Reason users as to the demand for VST3 and/or AU support. Before answering the question, think ahead as to what will happen in the coming months as VST2 support is increasingly removed from new plugins. Even if you don't use VST3 or AU plugins now, you will almost certainly need it sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance for your participation :)

boingy

07 Jul 2019

They absolutely have to implement VST3. Steinberg no longer allow new plugins to ship as VST2.

Failed Muso

07 Jul 2019

boingy wrote:
07 Jul 2019
They absolutely have to implement VST3. Steinberg no longer allow new plugins to ship as VST2.
I completely agree, but it seems my protestations are falling on deaf ears :(

boingy

08 Jul 2019

Failed Muso wrote:
07 Jul 2019
boingy wrote:
07 Jul 2019
I completely agree, but it seems my protestations are falling on deaf ears :(
No, I think they hear but no speak. PH are almost always tight-lipped on forthcoming developments. It's gotta be right up there near the top of the list, along with supporting VST MIDI outputs. If they don't do it they'll be accused of not fully supporting VSTs.

Of course, they may choose to remove VST support entirely to drive more sales to their RE marketplace. (They should have announced that as an April Fool... hehe :twisted: )

Loque

08 Jul 2019

Currently i have no pressure for any other formats than VST2. This may change in the next years.
Reason12, Win10

pongasoft
RE Developer

08 Jul 2019

Failed Muso wrote:
07 Jul 2019
Back in 2013, VST2 ceased to be developed further and in October 2018, it was officially closed down, with no further maintenance or tech support. The subset within the VST3 SDK was also removed. Whilst the VST2 protocol is still supported, many developers are now removing it and some no longer offer it at all.
And for the record, Steinberg officially removed VST2 from the VST3 SDK with version 3.6.11 (back in fall 2018). And since they do not provide any links to download any past release of the SDK, it is no longer possible to get it (by "traditional" means...)

Which is the reason why PH must support VST3...

Yan

Failed Muso

08 Jul 2019

For those selecting the option that VST2 is enough, I am curious to know why. Is it because you only use VST2 plugins and can't see that changing? Or do you not use VSTs at all?

I'm genuinely curious and am not baiting for an online squabble. I just want to understand why :)

QVprod

08 Jul 2019

I don't believe theres a logical reason a user can give for not wanting it aside from currently having VTS2 versions of everything they have. I'd have to wonder though if it's somehow more difficult to implement than VST2. I'd imagine it shouldn't be but perhaps the added capabilities make a huge difference?

Failed Muso

09 Jul 2019

QVprod wrote:
08 Jul 2019
I don't believe theres a logical reason a user can give for not wanting it aside from currently having VTS2 versions of everything they have. I'd have to wonder though if it's somehow more difficult to implement than VST2. I'd imagine it shouldn't be but perhaps the added capabilities make a huge difference?
Agreed. Whatever happens, VST2 is going away and most, if not all, devs will EOL VST2 support in their plugins, sooner rather than later. So I am curious to understand the rationale behind this thinking from these users.

antic604

09 Jul 2019

Don't care for formats other than VST, but instead of VST3 I'd prefer them focusing on supporting MIDI VSTs.

Failed Muso

09 Jul 2019

antic604 wrote:
09 Jul 2019
Don't care for formats other than VST, but instead of VST3 I'd prefer them focusing on supporting MIDI VSTs.
Ok, so what I want to understand is why you don't see VST3 as essential with VST2 officially dead. The chances are that any VST2 plugins you have will be updated to VST3 only soon, and any new VST plugins will be VST3 only.

I'm really trying to understand why people would simply be happy to get stuck with a legacy platform.

antic604

09 Jul 2019

Failed Muso wrote:
09 Jul 2019
antic604 wrote:
09 Jul 2019
Ok, so what I want to understand is why you don't see VST3 as essential with VST2 officially dead. The chances are that any VST2 plugins you have will be updated to VST3 only soon, and any new VST plugins will be VST3 only.

I'm really trying to understand why people would simply be happy to get stuck with a legacy platform.
It's not dead - it's not supported and developed anymore. Like mp3.

My experience from using other DAWs, because I always install VST2 and 3 versions, is that VST3s are often buggy and crash - or glitch - a lot compared to VST2, because people still can't code them properly. Also, most of the added VST3-specific features aren't used, because usually they're straight ports from VST2 to VST3 and also many of them were downported to VST2. I'm not saying I'll never switch completely to VST3, but I don't think it's necessary right now. Perhaps in 2-3 years it might be different. And owning well over 100 VSTs I can't recall a single one that's VST3 only, even though all of my DAWs - except Reason and including Live since 10.1 - support the "new" format.

boingy

09 Jul 2019

I think some people voting for the first option are actually saying "I don't want any more dev resources going in to VST support because there are other things devs should be concentrating on".

Creativemind

09 Jul 2019

AU support, an AU is an Audio Unit used only in Logic isn't it?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Boombastix
Competition Winner

09 Jul 2019

Failed Muso wrote:
09 Jul 2019
This is just an order of priorities. Of course everyone wants VST3 when no VST installer comes with VST2 any more, but until we reach that critical point, there are many more pertinent Reason features and fixes that should be prioritized before. The world is not a digital "yes/no forever", it is just not right now, do the more acute stuff now and deal with VST3 a little later. It is a matter how you state your questions too. If you had said:
1. No VST3 for all eternity.
2. No VST3 until installers do not include VST2 and PH have fixed X.Y.Z...

Then I'm quite sure the responses would have been more nuanced.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Oquasec

09 Jul 2019

Rewire will solve all this, as it has always done.
VST3, no jbridge, no hassle.
Propellerhead made the right decision with everything.

They know what they are doing.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Failed Muso

09 Jul 2019

Creativemind wrote:
09 Jul 2019
AU support, an AU is an Audio Unit used only in Logic isn't it?
No. AU is Mac only but supported by most DAWs.

EdGrip

11 Jul 2019

I selected "would like VST3 support"I, because why not?

But! I am sure PH had their reasons for not starting with VST3 support, just as many developers still release in VST2 - I get the impression VST3 is a bit of a nightmare in comparison to 2.

I'm sure it will come when it becomes enough of an issue.

• Information