Sugar Bytes Aparillo

Discuss VST stuff here!
User avatar
reddust
Posts: 395
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 21 Jun 2019

Hi,

I recently purchased Sugar Bytes Aparillo, which is defined as "textural synthesizer" by SB themselves, and I've seen there is no single thread or comment in this forum, at least not when using the regular search, so I decided to open a thread to share any experiences in case there more Aparillo users here.

I have to say that I am quite impressed by the quality of its sound and its flexibility as well as the peculiar way it works at some points. On the other hand the sounds you can achieve with this VST synth are partly very experimental and it might be more suitable for sound designers and experimental musicians than people who try to make some more popular music, but I wouldn't even discard it for popular genres either as I have already used it for some arrangements in an electro-pop song and really liked the result.

I think the synth is worth its regular price, which is now $99, and it works flawless in Reason as a VST. The only thing I wished it had and I think it doesn't is that having bought the VST version doesn't give you the iPad version as well and seems like you need to buy it separately at full price if I'm right.

Here is the link to the product, where you can see some promo video and listen to some tracks made with it.

https://sugar-bytes.de/aparillo

Maybe I'm not the only one here using it and this could be a good place to talk about its features and more :)

tibah
Posts: 882
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jun 2019

I remember I had some UI drawing issues with Aparillo inside Reason a year ago. That said, Aparillo is up there in my current top soft-synths and my next planned VST purchase. Raising the jitter baby! :puf_bigsmile:

User avatar
dusan.cani
Posts: 116
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 22 Jun 2019

tibah wrote:
21 Jun 2019
I remember I had some UI drawing issues with Aparillo inside Reason a year ago.
Because Reason has still problems with VST UI performance and it seems props don't pay attention for this problem. Problem with slow/laggy UI exists in different other plugins, for example Tone Boosters.

User avatar
reddust
Posts: 395
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 22 Jun 2019

I think the one with aparillo is definitely corrected, at least I've never seen any drawing issue. I had one drawing issue last week with a kontakt library that never showed any issues, but after a restart it was everything ok

User avatar
Libraquaricorn
Posts: 310
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 23 Jun 2019

I bought this only a few days ago and was also a bit surprised by the lack of mention of it here on reasontalk. It's the second synth I've bought this year, the first being Complex-1 at the recent sale. I was really intrigued by the sound of Aparillo and after watching a 10 part tutorial on youtube I just could not help myself (after I received my tax returns, that is), although I did initially plan to wait for it to go on sale. I picked it up for 85 $ over at audiodeluxe (they have this thing where you can make an offer and then they make a counter offer). It's a really interesting take on FM synthesis, much thanks to all the modulation possibilities. I like the evolving soundscape aspect of this synth and in that respect it seems to have a lot to offer. I have not had the time to work with it much yet, but as far as I can tell it seems to work flawlessly in the latest version of Reason. I was a bit sceptical about it being a Sugar Bytes product - a lot of their stuff seems a bit gimmicky and limited to me, like this "Looperator" thing I bought last year, which really got old fast - but Aparillo seems to have a lot of potential for the kind of things I want to do, so no regrets yet. I would check out those youtube tutorials if evolving soundscapes is your thing. They are by this Australian dude that very entertainingly pronounces fm like "iff imm". Cracks me up every time. :D

User avatar
reddust
Posts: 395
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 24 Jun 2019

Libraquaricorn wrote:
23 Jun 2019
I bought this only a few days ago and was also a bit surprised by the lack of mention of it here on reasontalk. It's the second synth I've bought this year, the first being Complex-1 at the recent sale. I was really intrigued by the sound of Aparillo and after watching a 10 part tutorial on youtube I just could not help myself (after I received my tax returns, that is), although I did initially plan to wait for it to go on sale. I picked it up for 85 $ over at audiodeluxe (they have this thing where you can make an offer and then they make a counter offer). It's a really interesting take on FM synthesis, much thanks to all the modulation possibilities. I like the evolving soundscape aspect of this synth and in that respect it seems to have a lot to offer. I have not had the time to work with it much yet, but as far as I can tell it seems to work flawlessly in the latest version of Reason. I was a bit sceptical about it being a Sugar Bytes product - a lot of their stuff seems a bit gimmicky and limited to me, like this "Looperator" thing I bought last year, which really got old fast - but Aparillo seems to have a lot of potential for the kind of things I want to do, so no regrets yet. I would check out those youtube tutorials if evolving soundscapes is your thing. They are by this Australian dude that very entertainingly pronounces fm like "iff imm". Cracks me up every time. :D
You've defined pretty well my own experience with this post as well, I wasn't quite sure about what Aparillo can do and had read that other apps by sugar bytes shouldn't be anything special, but I found Aparillo very interesting and many of its sounds and modulations seem to sound and work in a way that fits my needs very well at this moment. I've been using it only on a parallel project so far and I liked it, but I think I'll take the best out of it when I finally use it on one of my personal ideas.

Its sound is amazing in my opinion and it seems to be very useful for people who are interested in sound design for experimental or cinematic music.

User avatar
stratatonic
Posts: 1028
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 25 Jun 2019

You say you are buying an iPad Pro next week. Have you considered trying out the Aparillo for iPad? You can download for free and I think it's 17.99 to unlock 500 presets and a bunch of other stuff and Ableton Link capabilty to sync with Reason...

Thing sounds amazing.

User avatar
reddust
Posts: 395
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 25 Jun 2019

stratatonic wrote:
25 Jun 2019
You say you are buying an iPad Pro next week. Have you considered trying out the Aparillo for iPad? You can download for free and I think it's 17.99 to unlock 500 presets and a bunch of other stuff and Ableton Link capabilty to sync with Reason...

Thing sounds amazing.
Yes, I actually expected to get the iPad Pro this same week and got it even yesterday already. Aparillo is one of the first apps I would like to test on it as I really like it as a VST.

Nice to know that I can sync it with Reason, and the price is quite good as well. Do you casually know if it's possible to sync own presets between the Aparillo iPad app and the VST?

User avatar
stratatonic
Posts: 1028
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 25 Jun 2019

reddust wrote:
25 Jun 2019
stratatonic wrote:
25 Jun 2019
You say you are buying an iPad Pro next week. Have you considered trying out the Aparillo for iPad? You can download for free and I think it's 17.99 to unlock 500 presets and a bunch of other stuff and Ableton Link capabilty to sync with Reason...

Thing sounds amazing.
Yes, I actually expected to get the iPad Pro this same week and got it even yesterday already. Aparillo is one of the first apps I would like to test on it as I really like it as a VST.

Nice to know that I can sync it with Reason, and the price is quite good as well. Do you casually know if it's possible to sync own presets between the Aparillo iPad app and the VST?
Oh, #$%$@ I didn't realize that you already bought the VST! I see now it's in the first line of your post... :roll:
This thing just seems better suited for touch screen. I haven't bought the full version - I always wait for a sale - but I'm pretty sure you can save out presets when you unlock.

User avatar
reddust
Posts: 395
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 25 Jun 2019

stratatonic wrote:
25 Jun 2019
reddust wrote:
25 Jun 2019


Yes, I actually expected to get the iPad Pro this same week and got it even yesterday already. Aparillo is one of the first apps I would like to test on it as I really like it as a VST.

Nice to know that I can sync it with Reason, and the price is quite good as well. Do you casually know if it's possible to sync own presets between the Aparillo iPad app and the VST?
Oh, #$%$@ I didn't realize that you already bought the VST! I see now it's in the first line of your post... :roll:
This thing just seems better suited for touch screen. I haven't bought the full version - I always wait for a sale - but I'm pretty sure you can save out presets when you unlock.
I really like the VST and would definitely recommend it, of course if you get it in a sale even better.
I'll try to test how good the iOS and VST versions communicate and give some feedback as soon as I do.

User avatar
stratatonic
Posts: 1028
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 01 Jul 2019

reddust wrote:
25 Jun 2019
stratatonic wrote:
25 Jun 2019

Oh, #$%$@ I didn't realize that you already bought the VST! I see now it's in the first line of your post... :roll:
This thing just seems better suited for touch screen. I haven't bought the full version - I always wait for a sale - but I'm pretty sure you can save out presets when you unlock.
I really like the VST and would definitely recommend it, of course if you get it in a sale even better.
I'll try to test how good the iOS and VST versions communicate and give some feedback as soon as I do.
Aparillo for iPad is 45% off right now, FYI. :thumbs_up:

User avatar
reddust
Posts: 395
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 01 Jul 2019

stratatonic wrote:
01 Jul 2019
reddust wrote:
25 Jun 2019


I really like the VST and would definitely recommend it, of course if you get it in a sale even better.
I'll try to test how good the iOS and VST versions communicate and give some feedback as soon as I do.
Aparillo for iPad is 45% off right now, FYI. :thumbs_up:
Cool, I'll get it later at home, I downloaded the regular version but I'm happy I didn't buy the full iOS version yet, now I'll definitely go for it, thanks for sharing the info :thumbs_up:

User avatar
reddust
Posts: 395
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 22 Aug 2019

seems like Aparillo is reduced at 50% its price these days...

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/3978

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests