Izotope releases Neutron 3

Discuss VST stuff here!
ScuzzyEye

11 Jun 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
10 Jun 2019
EnochLight wrote:
10 Jun 2019
Are you guys side-chaining from within Neutron 3? The issue stemmed from version 1 and persisted in version 2. Honestly, I hadn't tried for quite some time now since I couldn't get it to work. Here was the original thread:

viewtopic.php?t=7501616
Yes, the external source works. Tried it on the EQ plugin, not neutron main. I can test on neutron 2 main and plugin tomorrow to see if it got fixed like scuzzy eye said.
I tested both the dynamic EQ, and compressor modules in both Neutron 2 and 3 main. When set to Ext the signal meter correctly shows the level from the external source. Maybe it was fixed in a 2.0 point release.

PhillipOrdonez

11 Jun 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
11 Jun 2019
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
10 Jun 2019

Yes, the external source works. Tried it on the EQ plugin, not neutron main. I can test on neutron 2 main and plugin tomorrow to see if it got fixed like scuzzy eye said.
I tested both the dynamic EQ, and compressor modules in both Neutron 2 and 3 main. When set to Ext the signal meter correctly shows the level from the external source. Maybe it was fixed in a 2.0 point release.
Awesome!

EnochLight

11 Jun 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
11 Jun 2019
That's great to hear - thanks! Yeah, I don't know why I didn't just test this in 2.0 - it must have been fixed in a point update in 2.02.3166. I can't seem to find change logs for their updates, though. Anyway, thanks for confirming - it makes upgrading to 3.0 a much safer bet from my angle.

This is literally the only release notes I can find:

https://www.izotope.com/en/support/prod ... notes.html
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Popey
Competition Winner

11 Jun 2019

Hi i will not be able to test this until home at weekend but do you need neutron on both mix channels to sidechain. Watched a tutorial about masking (where you need neutron on both channels) and then he sidechained bass from kick or can you just send parellel out from kick to optional in on bass (with neutron just as insert fx on bass channel) as i would with a normal vst compressor. Sorry if this is a noob question just new to neutron and havent had chance to understand it/experiment yet(or read manual) so assume both for internal sidechain eq but not sure about external eq ducking etc.

EnochLight

11 Jun 2019

Popey wrote:
11 Jun 2019
Hi i will not be able to test this until home at weekend but do you need neutron on both mix channels to sidechain. Watched a tutorial about masking (where you need neutron on both channels) and then he sidechained bass from kick or can you just send parellel out from kick to optional in on bass (with neutron just as insert fx on bass channel) as i would with a normal vst compressor. Sorry if this is a noob question just new to neutron and havent had chance to understand it/experiment yet(or read manual) so assume both for internal sidechain eq but not sure about external eq ducking etc.
I think it went like this (but could be mistaken): with Neutron 1, you inserted a "Relay/Mix tap" onto the track you wanted to use as a sidechain source, and a Neutron instance (or specific EQ or compressor if you've got Advanced) on the target device. In Neutron 2 and 3, it's called "Mix Tap". You then select your source driving the sidechain from Neutron's sidechain source drop down menu.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Popey
Competition Winner

11 Jun 2019

EnochLight wrote:
11 Jun 2019
Popey wrote:
11 Jun 2019
I think it went like this (but could be mistaken): with Neutron 1, you inserted a "Relay/Mix tap" onto the track you wanted to use as a sidechain source, and a Neutron instance (or specific EQ or compressor if you've got Advanced) on the target device. In Neutron 2 and 3, it's called "Mix Tap". You then select your source driving the sidechain from Neutron's sidechain source drop down menu.
Ah i see that makes perfect sense as i was aware you use relay or neutron to speak (If thats the right term) to each other. I was just unsure as in the vid they had neutron on both channels. I am guessing you dont even need neutron on each channel and relay will suffice but they used neutron twice to show the eq and how cutting some frequncies on one can boost others demonstrating that feature too. Im looking forward to getting to grips with this at weekend. Thanks for the info it is most appreciated 👍

EnochLight

11 Jun 2019

Popey wrote:
11 Jun 2019
but they used neutron twice to show the eq and how cutting some frequncies on one can boost others demonstrating that feature too. Im looking forward to getting to grips with this at weekend. Thanks for the info it is most appreciated 👍
Right - you can use side-chain on more than just a compressor. You can also side-chain Neutron's dynamic EQ, etc. I mean, you can place an instance of Neutron on every channel if your computer can handle it - people usually use Mix Tap because it's super light and doesn't really take any resources.

But if Neutron 3 really is a lot lighter on the CPU as they claim, maybe that's all a moot point anyway.

PhillipOrdonez

11 Jun 2019

In case you guys don't know, you can use the inputs in the back of the instance and use the external source on the device (EQ, compressor, neutron) for sidechain. I've not tried using relay (neutron 3 uses relay, actually, I don't think it comes with mix tap. I have mix tap and it works but I'm going to start using relay from now on and the visual mixer 3, which, side note, is a slick way to mix)

tobypearce

12 Jun 2019

The performance upgrades are dramatic. I wasn't using Neutron 2 (esp. on Reason pre 10.3) because it was such a hog. I was sticking to Alloy, which is their older version.
Neutron 3 fixes all that - much smoother.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

EnochLight

12 Jun 2019

tobypearce wrote:
12 Jun 2019
The performance upgrades are dramatic. I wasn't using Neutron 2 (esp. on Reason pre 10.3) because it was such a hog. I was sticking to Alloy, which is their older version.
Neutron 3 fixes all that - much smoother.
Speaking of Alloy, I used to think that iZotope made some of the coolest GUI/UX in the industry. But when I look at Alloy 2 and Ozone 5 today.... just UGH... they look so dated LOL! :lol:

That said, did you compare Neutron 2’s performance on 10.3 at 512-1024 samples? Are you saying Neutron 3 is a noticeable improvement over that?

ScuzzyEye

12 Jun 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
11 Jun 2019
In case you guys don't know, you can use the inputs in the back of the instance and use the external source on the device (EQ, compressor, neutron) for sidechain. I've not tried using relay (neutron 3 uses relay, actually, I don't think it comes with mix tap. I have mix tap and it works but I'm going to start using relay from now on and the visual mixer 3, which, side note, is a slick way to mix)
This is how I tested. The Ext side chain only reads from those inputs. There's an "Unmask" feature available in the EQ module that uses another instance of Mix Tap/Relay/Nectar/Neutron as the source of the masking. This is different from side chaining.

EnochLight

12 Jun 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
12 Jun 2019
There's an "Unmask" feature available in the EQ module that uses another instance of Mix Tap/Relay/Nectar/Neutron as the source of the masking. This is different from side chaining.
Can you verify whether or not this works in Reason as of Neutron 3 using Mix Tap/Relay/Nectar/Neutron as the source of the masking? This was broken in Reason as far as I know.

PhillipOrdonez

12 Jun 2019

EnochLight wrote:
12 Jun 2019
ScuzzyEye wrote:
12 Jun 2019
There's an "Unmask" feature available in the EQ module that uses another instance of Mix Tap/Relay/Nectar/Neutron as the source of the masking. This is different from side chaining.
Can you verify whether or not this works in Reason as of Neutron 3 using Mix Tap/Relay/Nectar/Neutron as the source of the masking? This was broken in Reason as far as I know.
Unmask works on both versions. It always worked on neutron 2, man!

PhillipOrdonez

12 Jun 2019

Regarding my previous comment:

Unmasking is a new feature on nectar 3.

What I meant was the feature present on neutron EQ where your can use another instance on another instrument to view frequency masking. This has always worked. Haven't tried the unmask feature from nectar 3 yet.

EnochLight

12 Jun 2019

Sweet; thanks!

tobypearce

17 Jun 2019

Yeah - it's a massive performance increase across the board. It's night and day between Neutron 2 and 3.

EnochLight

17 Jun 2019

tobypearce wrote:
17 Jun 2019
Yeah - it's a massive performance increase across the board. It's night and day between Neutron 2 and 3.
Well, I caved - just upgraded today. The performance increase is really what sold it, though I'm glad to get what few new features they included. It's really become my channel strip of choice, so it just made sense.

esselfortium

17 Jun 2019

I upgraded from Ozone Elements to the Mix & Mastering Bundle Advanced after trialing it for a few days. The masking view and inverse link are amazing tools for clearing up difficult mixes.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

PhillipOrdonez

17 Jun 2019

The sculptor is the bomb! That plus the huge performance upgrade made it a no brainer for me. (I got to admit I upgraded the day it got released though 😂)

tobypearce

19 Jun 2019

I just wish it was easier to insert the same plugin on every device (e.g. for using visual mixer). It feels ever so manual!

EnochLight

19 Jun 2019

tobypearce wrote:
19 Jun 2019
I just wish it was easier to insert the same plugin on every device (e.g. for using visual mixer). It feels ever so manual!
Yeah, that’s a Reason issue which needs to be addressed. Would make a great feature suggestion.

PhillipOrdonez

19 Jun 2019

tobypearce wrote:
19 Jun 2019
That's what I call track default. Every new track gets created with a set of devices of your choice. In Reason, this would only apply to mix channels. I got it in live 10.1 and wish it was that easy in Reason!

selig
RE Developer

20 Jun 2019

tobypearce wrote:
19 Jun 2019
This is where the Pro Tools approach (since forever) is so great. No matter which channels are selected there are three ways to do anything.
•If you just “do it”, it will only happen to the current channel.
•If you do it with Shift added, you’ll do it to ALL channels (no need to select all first).
•If you do it with Shift/Option you’ll do it to all SELECTED channels.

This works for just about everything, which means you don’t need any additional commands to the software. You can add sends or inserts or aux busses this way, you can modify or reset settings this way, you can delete or edit things this way. By having “global” commands such as these, this functionality is allowed across the interface and you don’t need to learn additional key commands - the same two modifiers work across the entire interface (IIRC).

I wish all software worked this way!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2019

EnochLight wrote:
11 Jun 2019
ScuzzyEye wrote:
11 Jun 2019
That's great to hear - thanks! Yeah, I don't know why I didn't just test this in 2.0 - it must have been fixed in a point update in 2.02.3166. I can't seem to find change logs for their updates, though. Anyway, thanks for confirming - it makes upgrading to 3.0 a much safer bet from my angle.

This is literally the only release notes I can find:

https://www.izotope.com/en/support/prod ... notes.html
Yep, it was fixed on 2.02. They didn't post it on their release notes though.

• Information