Guitar VST effects

Discuss VST stuff here!
bluzdogs

04 Jun 2019

I'm gradually heading into a little deeper water but, as usual, I'm confused. :?

Either I'm not holding my mouth right or I'm just incapable of structuring a Google search to find what I mean, not what I typed....

When using a guitar VST (acoustic or electric but probably more for acoustic) on a keyboard, how do you add the sound of fingers sliding on the strings during chord changes etc.?

I've seen several videos which point out how adding that sound makes the finished product sound more genuine just none of them bother to explain how it's achieved.

I'd really appreciate some clarification on this because I'm starting to get an inferiority complex with my Internet search skills! :puf_bigsmile:

Let me add that I've only been using free guitar VSTs primarily because I'm just not in a position to drop two or three bills on a full version until I get more proficient. (besides, I'm working on replacing my 88-Key digital piano with a true MIDI controller first)

As always, THANKS!!!!

esselfortium

04 Jun 2019

Many guitar instruments have at least one special-effects note somewhere above or below the normal playable note range that plays fret noises and other performance effects.

If you want to get fancier than that, the Shreddage 3 and Orange Tree Evolution guitar engines allow you to perform portamento slides between notes, including polyphonic slides for power chords.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

bluzdogs

04 Jun 2019

esselfortium wrote:
04 Jun 2019
Many guitar instruments have at least one special-effects note somewhere above or below the normal playable note range that plays fret noises and other performance effects.

If you want to get fancier than that, the Shreddage 3 and Orange Tree Evolution guitar engines allow you to perform portamento slides between notes, including polyphonic slides for power chords.
Thanks! Guess I need to delve more deeply into settings on those VSTs. The one I use the most is Ample Guitar M Lite.

Thanks again!

NekujaK

04 Jun 2019

Also, you can always add sampled squeaks and string scrapes to a second track to enhance the overall sound of the performance.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

motuscott

04 Jun 2019

Squeaks, string noise and bad fretting, how can I achieve this?
Plugs in guitar.
Oh you want your computer to simulate this.
My bad.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

boingy

05 Jun 2019

motuscott wrote:
04 Jun 2019
Plugs in guitar.
My bad.
On similar lines I was just thinking that I need a plugin that would take my real guitar playing, keep the fret noises and "character" but replace the bum notes with the ones I intended. Oh, and filter out any adjacent strings that I have failed to mute properly. :D

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

boingy wrote:
05 Jun 2019
motuscott wrote:
04 Jun 2019
Plugs in guitar.
My bad.
On similar lines I was just thinking that I need a plugin that would take my real guitar playing, keep the fret noises and "character" but replace the bum notes with the ones I intended. Oh, and filter out any adjacent strings that I have failed to mute properly. :D
One string. Auto tune. Problem solved. You’re welcome :).

Alternatively, if you don’t have auto tune, you can leave that but out and just play microtonal music.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

motuscott

05 Jun 2019

Mo strings, mo problems
Diddley Bow.jpg
Diddley Bow.jpg (18.45 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

bluzdogs

07 Jul 2019

motuscott wrote:
04 Jun 2019
Plugs in guitar.
My bad.
LMAO!

I know from a long time ago having had two brothers who played guitar that string squeaks, etc., are not desirable but sometimes they do have some benefits.

• Information