Phaseplant by kHs is out!

Discuss VST stuff here!
Loque

26 Jan 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
26 Jan 2020
So I've decided to pick it up when it was on sale. (thanks Loque for reminder)

I've incorporated PP in mix with MX and Pigments, and oh, this is a KILLER combination ! This synth trio is now my primary synth setup.

I also discovered that PP is powerful synth on its own (without using FXs on lanes). In fact it has distortion and filter in generator area to provide audio rate modulation. And as I mentioned earlier in this thread, audio rate modulation brings a ton of possibilites to shape the timbre. But these two generator-based effects are very powerful also for their primary task.

For those, who own Reverb and use it on lanes in PP - don't forget to use that free 3-band EQ for fine tuning the reverb sound ! It is veeery handy for tasks like remove rumble for reverb sound, or emphasize mids and highs. But note that for this, it neccessary to use MIX on the lane where you have reverb and MIX on the reverb set to 100%.

Or another application of freebie 3-band EQ is to use it before Distortion FX. And then modulate for example mids gain to get dramaticaly flavoured distorted sound. I do this in generetor area with filter instead, but both ways bring its own character.
:lol:
Yea, its a great synth even without FX and if you have the whole stuff from Kilohearts, you can go wild. Now even with Multipass in Polymode :o :D This is sick!
Reason12, Win10

dusan.cani

26 Jan 2020

Loque wrote:
26 Jan 2020

Yea, its a great synth even without FX and if you have the whole stuff from Kilohearts, you can go wild. Now even with Multipass in Polymode :o :D This is sick!
Your CPU will go as wild too, perhaps :puf_bigsmile:

It's CPU hungry synth but one can overcome it with some tricks (like reducing polyphony and global unison voices, amp release time, using Ensemble FX instead global unison, etc)...Massive X never went more than 2 bars of CPU meter even with max voice unison, 14 voice polyphonic, long amp release heavy processed patch ! They did performance on this synth excellent ! I can't believe that extreme quality sound like this can be so eficient on CPU.

Back to PP - I forgot mention the LFO editor - this is super usable tool to give some expressive modulation to static sounds. Just add some points, move them and listen to the changes. A lot of interesting variations can be done, especially when modulating wavetable frame (index/position). In last update they've also added some predefined LFO shapes, I've got some pretty cool results with them :puf_wink:

Loque

26 Jan 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
26 Jan 2020
Loque wrote:
26 Jan 2020

Your CPU will go as wild too, perhaps :puf_bigsmile:

It's CPU hungry synth but one can overcome it with some tricks (like reducing polyphony and global unison voices, amp release time, using Ensemble FX instead global unison, etc)...Massive X never went more than 2 bars of CPU meter even with max voice unison, 14 voice polyphonic, long amp release heavy processed patch ! They did performance on this synth excellent ! I can't believe that extreme quality sound like this can be so eficient on CPU.

Back to PP - I forgot mention the LFO editor - this is super usable tool to give some expressive modulation to static sounds. Just add some points, move them and listen to the changes. A lot of interesting variations can be done, especially when modulating wavetable frame (index/position). In last update they've also added some predefined LFO shapes, I've got some pretty cool results with them :puf_wink:
Yea, the performance is pretty good, but as always depends on CPU, patch and whatnot... I was gambling around with a simple modulated wavetable, a simple analog sine generator for fm of the wavetable, filter, distortion, 3 voice unison and a complex multpass patch and i didnt even need to turn off power savings...I would call this excellent performance optimization.Kilohearts did a great job imo.
Reason12, Win10

dusan.cani

27 Jan 2020

Loque wrote:
26 Jan 2020
Yea, the performance is pretty good, but as always depends on CPU, patch and whatnot... I was gambling around with a simple modulated wavetable, a simple analog sine generator for fm of the wavetable, filter, distortion, 3 voice unison and a complex multpass patch and i didnt even need to turn off power savings...I would call this excellent performance optimization.Kilohearts did a great job imo.
Little misunderstanding here, perhaps - I mean If I crank up global unison with per voice distortion and filter and play some chords in PP, the CPU is over limit (cpu meter goes to red). Whereas in MX there are never more than 2 bars of cpu meter in Reason which is a miracle considering how high definition quality of sound MX has :mrgreen:

Loque

23 Apr 2020

A few updates for Phase Plant and some other fx are out. I dont have a link since Kilohearts does not seem to post it online. Check your downloader.
Reason12, Win10

Popey
Competition Winner

03 May 2020

First day of trialling this and mightily impressed. I may be missing the obvious here but how do you draw time synced envelopes eg. Like mseg in dune 3?

Loque

04 May 2020

Popey wrote:
03 May 2020
First day of trialling this and mightily impressed. I may be missing the obvious here but how do you draw time synced envelopes eg. Like mseg in dune 3?
No MSEGs yet. Try a LFO.
Reason12, Win10

Popey
Competition Winner

04 May 2020

Loque wrote:
04 May 2020
Popey wrote:
03 May 2020
No MSEGs yet. Try a LFO.
Cheers Loque I had been trialling on my laptop and with the small screen on that I had missed the pen icon to draw your own shapes (was just trying to recreate a simple riser). I noticed it didn't have a arp but after your comment and looking I can see I can use lfo for this and modulate pitch. Spent most of yesterday messing about with different oscillator modulation, groups, lanes etc so haven't spent much time with envelope section etc.

I already know I will be buying this as it's right up my street. Looking forward to trying it on my desktop as killed my poor weak laptop a few times yesterday. To be fair cpu usage is ok and I was seriously testing phaseplant by adding, modulating lots of groups/oscillators and would not go that crazy when creating sounds for a song......is their even a limit to the amount of oscillators you can put in this!!!

About the only negative is that I know I will be wanting more snapins when I buy this so hopefully there are some sales or a decent upgrade plan once I buy the synth.

Loque

04 May 2020

Popey wrote:
04 May 2020
Loque wrote:
04 May 2020

No MSEGs yet. Try a LFO.
Cheers Loque I had been trialling on my laptop and with the small screen on that I had missed the pen icon to draw your own shapes (was just trying to recreate a simple riser). I noticed it didn't have a arp but after your comment and looking I can see I can use lfo for this and modulate pitch. Spent most of yesterday messing about with different oscillator modulation, groups, lanes etc so haven't spent much time with envelope section etc.

I already know I will be buying this as it's right up my street. Looking forward to trying it on my desktop as killed my poor weak laptop a few times yesterday. To be fair cpu usage is ok and I was seriously testing phaseplant by adding, modulating lots of groups/oscillators and would not go that crazy when creating sounds for a song......is their even a limit to the amount of oscillators you can put in this!!!

About the only negative is that I know I will be wanting more snapins when I buy this so hopefully there are some sales or a decent upgrade plan once I buy the synth.
I saw ppl making complete songs within Phase Plant, so i think the limit (if there is one) is quite high.

The CPU hit can be quite high, if you use a lot of modulation and also audio rate modulations. Combine this with Unison and poly fx, and your machine is done. But, well, nothing is for free...Maybe they can optimize it a bit in future...

Yea, Phase Plant gets very mighty with more Snap Ins. I mentioned in a other thread, that you can also use and modulate(!) Snapheap, Multipass and that big EQs...Did i mentioned, that Snapheap and Multipass also have their own modulation? Crazy sh!t...If you use Phase Plant you instantly feel, that the devs WANTED this synth to be that way. By some others i have the feeling, they were lucky and pleased, if the synth showed up and produced a few sounds, just not thoought through and always limited somewhere... I see a lot of potential in the future for Phase Plant. Its a closed, easy to use and high customizable modular synth with great possibilities. Its so easy to load a sample, make it granular and modulate a analog sound generator or filter with it. From usablity Reason Studios should keep a big and open eye on Kilohearts concepts.
Reason12, Win10

Popey
Competition Winner

04 May 2020

Loque wrote:
04 May 2020
Popey wrote:
04 May 2020

I saw ppl making complete songs within Phase Plant, so i think the limit (if there is one) is quite high.

The CPU hit can be quite high, if you use a lot of modulation and also audio rate modulations. Combine this with Unison and poly fx, and your machine is done. But, well, nothing is for free...Maybe they can optimize it a bit in future...

Yea, Phase Plant gets very mighty with more Snap Ins. I mentioned in a other thread, that you can also use and modulate(!) Snapheap, Multipass and that big EQs...Did i mentioned, that Snapheap and Multipass also have their own modulation? Crazy sh!t...If you use Phase Plant you instantly feel, that the devs WANTED this synth to be that way. By some others i have the feeling, they were lucky and pleased, if the synth showed up and produced a few sounds, just not thoought through and always limited somewhere... I see a lot of potential in the future for Phase Plant. Its a closed, easy to use and high customizable modular synth with great possibilities. Its so easy to load a sample, make it granular and modulate a analog sound generator or filter with it. From usablity Reason Studios should keep a big and open eye on Kilohearts concepts.
I don't think the cpu is that bad really as I my laptop is an old 2nd gen i5 with 8gb ram which I just use to do sound design and sketch song ideas (on headphones) whilst children asleep. Will get to try phaseplant on my desktop later today which although not fantastic has better specs and allows me more freedom with cpu loads (I can then transform to audio in studio one to save cpu on any heavy patches). Even on the laptop I had loads of modulations, filters over a number of groups and it was only when I added a couple of snapheap in lanes that it waved the white flag. Synth now purchased, thanks for info and heads up on this one.

danc

04 May 2020

Loque wrote:
04 May 2020
Popey wrote:
04 May 2020

Totally agree with Loque - PP is an insanely powerful environment. Routing modulation is so intuitive and manages to not get out of hand - which very few other synths can claim. Building super powerful macro knobs is glorious.

Kilohearts are in direct talks with their customers on a daily bases (see Discord channel). I suggested for them to get Snaphead and Multipass into the SnapIn format, so that they could be embedded into PP and after a few chats back and forth it suddenly appeared a few months later in an update. A superior level of customer service that other companies could learn from.

My next suggestion to Khs is to have a VST host SnapIn, which they discussed at length with me... and have actually taken on board and not ruled out. If they do this... then PP could be an even BIGGER monster of a system.
Check my Soundcloud:

Loque

04 May 2020

danc wrote:
04 May 2020
Loque wrote:
04 May 2020

Totally agree with Loque - PP is an insanely powerful environment. Routing modulation is so intuitive and manages to not get out of hand - which very few other synths can claim. Building super powerful macro knobs is glorious.

Kilohearts are in direct talks with their customers on a daily bases (see Discord channel). I suggested for them to get Snaphead and Multipass into the SnapIn format, so that they could be embedded into PP and after a few chats back and forth it suddenly appeared a few months later in an update. A superior level of customer service that other companies could learn from.

My next suggestion to Khs is to have a VST host SnapIn, which they discussed at length with me... and have actually taken on board and not ruled out. If they do this... then PP could be an even BIGGER monster of a system.
Interesting times will come. I suggested the VST thing a while back to be integrated into Multipass (before PP)....they did not refused it, but were carefully about future plans in that direction, because there is no returning back. Well, that would give easy access to polyphonic fx, but would also open up a huge mess with Windows and all that sh!t - just like the normal VST stuff.
Reason12, Win10

groggy1

05 Nov 2020

Wanted to share some thoughts on Phaseplant, so pulling up an older thread (hopefully that's better than creating a new thread :))

I agree with others on this thread: The *workflow* in Phaseplant is just BEAUTFUL. I'm very used to the semi-modulator "rack" in Reason, so I think Phaseplant just makes sense to me. My gut feel is that if Reason "makes sense" to you, then Phaseplant is really similar

To me, it almost feels like you get a "rack" of oscillators you can add. And then you have 3 racks of "effect lanes".
And SnapHeap is their equivalent of Combinator for building complex combinations of Kilohearts effects.
...So net-net, it has a very Reasony feel to it :)

The only thing I'm not loving about Phaseplant is the actual sound :) The effects are quite good, but I just like Falcon's effects a bit more. (Falcon and Phaseplant are both similar "modular" synths). For example, I like Falcon's Sparkverb reverb a lot - it's one of my favorite reverbs. And I think it's a bit more "lush" sounding than Phaseplant's reverb, IMHO.
Phaseplant's main advantage sound-wide, I think, is the audio-rate routing that lets you do AMAZING FM sounds and growling noises. But that kind of sound isn't my cup of team, unfortunately.

So I keep going back-and-forth on whether to upgrade to full version of Phaseplant during upcoming Black Friday sale: The workflow is SOOO good, that it makes me feel happy like when I'm using Reason as a playground for sound. Maybe what I'll end up doing is using Phaseplant for the workflow, and then using some external effects I like in a Combinator or on Reasons sends to get the perfect sound I'm looking for. So best of both worlds...

Loque

05 Nov 2020

groggy1 wrote:
05 Nov 2020
Wanted to share some thoughts on Phaseplant, so pulling up an older thread (hopefully that's better than creating a new thread :))

I agree with others on this thread: The *workflow* in Phaseplant is just BEAUTFUL. I'm very used to the semi-modulator "rack" in Reason, so I think Phaseplant just makes sense to me. My gut feel is that if Reason "makes sense" to you, then Phaseplant is really similar

To me, it almost feels like you get a "rack" of oscillators you can add. And then you have 3 racks of "effect lanes".
And SnapHeap is their equivalent of Combinator for building complex combinations of Kilohearts effects.
...So net-net, it has a very Reasony feel to it :)

The only thing I'm not loving about Phaseplant is the actual sound :) The effects are quite good, but I just like Falcon's effects a bit more. (Falcon and Phaseplant are both similar "modular" synths). For example, I like Falcon's Sparkverb reverb a lot - it's one of my favorite reverbs. And I think it's a bit more "lush" sounding than Phaseplant's reverb, IMHO.
Phaseplant's main advantage sound-wide, I think, is the audio-rate routing that lets you do AMAZING FM sounds and growling noises. But that kind of sound isn't my cup of team, unfortunately.

So I keep going back-and-forth on whether to upgrade to full version of Phaseplant during upcoming Black Friday sale: The workflow is SOOO good, that it makes me feel happy like when I'm using Reason as a playground for sound. Maybe what I'll end up doing is using Phaseplant for the workflow, and then using some external effects I like in a Combinator or on Reasons sends to get the perfect sound I'm looking for. So best of both worlds...
Check ot the wavetable editor/generator, and you are sold.

If you want to upgrade, take the full road. You can have Snapheap and Multipass in the FX lanes.

And you are right, its like Reason compressed in a good usable synth. You can do nearly everything of it within Reason, but without the fast workflow, audio rate modulations and polyphony. But you should know, that not everything is audio rate modulated, only the oscilator are.
Reason12, Win10

groggy1

05 Nov 2020

Loque wrote:
05 Nov 2020

If you want to upgrade, take the full road. You can have Snapheap and Multipass in the FX lanes.

And you are right, its like Reason compressed in a good usable synth. You can do nearly everything of it within Reason, but without the fast workflow, audio rate modulations and polyphony. But you should know, that not everything is audio rate modulated, only the oscilator are.

Ok, will try out the wavetable editor tonight...

While I was playing with this thing, I kept thinking "why hasn't Reason done this yet"? If you could do audio-rate modulation between some new type of "RE oscillator", would be a pretty crazy set of FM type sounds you could make. I'm guessing having audio-rate modulation and more of a Eurorack-style flexibility in Reason has been discussed before

Loque

05 Nov 2020

groggy1 wrote:
05 Nov 2020
Loque wrote:
05 Nov 2020

Ok, will try out the wavetable editor tonight...

While I was playing with this thing, I kept thinking "why hasn't Reason done this yet"? If you could do audio-rate modulation between some new type of "RE oscillator", would be a pretty crazy set of FM type sounds you could make. I'm guessing having audio-rate modulation and more of a Eurorack-style flexibility in Reason has been discussed before
TBH, Reason CAN do audio rate modulation. Just most developers did not used it. There are a few devices that support it and if you look at the back of Pulverizer you become aware, that RS knows about audio rate modulation (even Thor supported it). Maybe some developers missed the point, because of the differentiation between CV and Audio. It made sense if the CPU were slow, but today, they could think about removing it...
Reason12, Win10

• Information