Phaseplant by kHs is out!

Discuss VST stuff here!
Loque

04 Jun 2019

Just wanted to say, that the sound generators would fit perfect into Reason rack... The rest is already there...
Reason12, Win10

Ahornberg

06 Jun 2019

Loque wrote:
04 Jun 2019
Just wanted to say, that the sound generators would fit perfect into Reason rack... The rest is already there...
Maybe we see this coming. kHs gave us a lot of REs so far.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2019

SeamlessR is diving into PhasePlant, running a supersaw patch, three note chords and 70% CPU, yikes!
Sounds nice though, but...

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Loque

12 Jul 2019

Nothing is for free... Did he used a filter per voice too?
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2019

Loque wrote:
12 Jul 2019
Haven't studied the manual, but I suppose when you activate POLY the FX will be per voice, or per note. Question is how Unison affects Poly, will a 8 v Unison and 3 note chord activate 24 filters, hmmm, maybe. Yeah, CPU expensive...

danc

12 Jul 2019

Boombastix wrote:
12 Jul 2019
Loque wrote:
12 Jul 2019
Haven't studied the manual, but I suppose when you activate POLY the FX will be per voice, or per note. Question is how Unison affects Poly, will a 8 v Unison and 3 note chord activate 24 filters, hmmm, maybe. Yeah, CPU expensive...
PP isn't a CPU hog (for me at least). I use it extensively as part of my productions and it definitely doesn't eat up my CPU - even with complex layering/modulation/automation.

I haven't ever seen @ 70% being used up. I'd question the guy's computer config.
Check my Soundcloud:

Boombastix
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2019

danc wrote:
12 Jul 2019
Boombastix wrote:
12 Jul 2019

PP isn't a CPU hog (for me at least). I use it extensively as part of my productions and it definitely doesn't eat up my CPU - even with complex layering/modulation/automation.

I haven't ever seen @ 70% being used up. I'd question the guy's computer config.
Did you do 8x Unison and activating poly?

danc

13 Jul 2019

Boombastix wrote:
12 Jul 2019
danc wrote:
12 Jul 2019

Did you do 8x Unison and activating poly?
Give me a PP preset and I'll report back CPU usage. At least I will be reporting something tangible to you.
Check my Soundcloud:

dusan.cani

01 Oct 2019

I am suprised that Phase Plant is basically two new generator modules - Wavetable and Sampler. Everything else is something that already exists in kHs products (environment for snapin interconnection, all the effects/snapins, and various features of kHs ONE).

The promo before Phase Plant release evoked impression that this will be entirely brand new synth with all the new features.
But never mind, I am just surprised.

Beside of that I really like playing with Phase Plant.

The main source of joy in Phase Plant is the new Wavetable generator. This is really well done module which offers fresh, juicy and expressive wavetable timbres. The wavetable palette list contains carefully created waveforms of different kinds, they are very usable, unique and musical. They are tasty. Loving to modulate them. I enjoy processing them further by effects in lanes like distortion (in poly mode) or filter and unison can finally spice it up very nicely. It's pity that modulation matrix workflow is not as comfortable as in Massive X, but I have no problem to overcome it.

For me, the Phase Plant is the kHs ONE on steroids :puf_smile:

dusan.cani

01 Oct 2019

Hooo hooo,

At the moment, I am discovering audio rate modulation between wavetable oscillators and this is awesome :mrgreen: ...

It greatly expands the sonic possibilities. Love it, love it, love it...

Some phase modulation examples:

phase-plant-PM-rev.mp3
(629.58 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

Firstly you hear PM, then the PM is damped. Wavetable position of the carrier and the PM amount is modulated via envelope.

phase-plant-PM2.mp3
(394.88 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

Here the PM is present always, but I've assigned wavetable position of modulator to MW.

( Can't share the presets, since I am using trial. Only 2 days left :( )

Boombastix
Competition Winner

01 Oct 2019

dusan.cani wrote:
01 Oct 2019
Hooo hooo,

At the moment, I am discovering audio rate modulation between wavetable oscillators and this is awesome :mrgreen: ...

It greatly expands the sonic possibilities. Love it, love it, love it...

Some phase modulation examples:

Firstly you hear PM, then the PM is damped. Wavetable position of the carrier and the PM amount is modulated via envelope.
Here the PM is present always, but I've assigned wavetable position of modulator to MW.

( Can't share the presets, since I am using trial. Only 2 days left :( )
Sounds nice, very Rob Papen Quad like actually. :o
I decided to pass on PP, despite already having the Snap-Heap bundle, since I was getting Massive X in K12 and also have so many other monster synths. Not enough time even now to learn them all.
If you have Spire by the way, check out the Plugin-Guru tutorial on it, it is very useful.

dusan.cani

02 Oct 2019

Boombastix wrote:
01 Oct 2019
Sounds nice, very Rob Papen Quad like actually. :o
Yes, you're right it sounds "Quadish" a lot in this case :D. There is always some sound intersection among various existing synths...

...but this is only the PM example. It could go also into other sound territory - especially with the natural sound of its wavetables (not processed by distortion/sine shaper or audio rate modulation).

Loque

17 Jan 2020

Reason12, Win10

dusan.cani

18 Jan 2020

It's a pity that this synth is sooo overpriced compared to Massive X or Pigments.

For 169Eur (regular price), you will get just generators with modulation, without any FX. An those generators are relatively simple, there aren't extra parameters for further waveform manipulation (like in MX and Pigments). For full arsenal of FX you have to pay 349eur. Just look how awesome amount of FX and filters offers MX or Pigments.

But despite all of that, the sound from Phase Plant sounds VERY GOOD, inspiring and i like it, as I wrote earlier in this thread. If it costs 99 bucks with all of its FX I would buy it.

I have kHs reverb and filter as rack extensions. Can I own also VST version and include them into phase plant ?

Loque

18 Jan 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
18 Jan 2020
For 169Eur (regular price), you will get just generators with modulation, without any FX.
You get the free toolbox with some basic fx and really, who needs fx in a synth? If they are not absolutly unique and awsome and can be played per note, they are useless. And Phaseplant can play the FX per note. Not many synths can do this.

But i agree, compared to Avenger atm its not the cheapest synth around atm. I hope they will add some more things in the future. It needs a bit more and better filters.

All in all its a good synth. Worth 169? Well, not really compared to the market, but original price of Pigments is 199 as it is for MassiveX or Avenger, so in the end the price is ok. And i did not payed 169 for Phaseplant as i didnt payed 199 for Pigments so i am quite ok with it :-)
Reason12, Win10

dusan.cani

18 Jan 2020

Loque wrote:
18 Jan 2020
dusan.cani wrote:
18 Jan 2020
For 169Eur (regular price), you will get just generators with modulation, without any FX.
You get the free toolbox with some basic fx and really, who needs fx in a synth? If they are not absolutly unique and awsome and can be played per note, they are useless. And Phaseplant can play the FX per note. Not many synths can do this.
FX can send your raw sounds from oscillators and filters into totally new dimensions...I consider them as a very important part of sound design. I wonder that FX are useless for you - is your music based only on raw unprocessed dry patches ? And Not all FX have to be per-voice (polyphonic). The most critical is distortion/waveshaper which should be per voice to get poly distorted sounds.. There is no reason to have reverb for every voice, it just eats o lot of CPU without any interesting results (at least for me, but maybe someone else achieved something interesting with reverb per voice).

dusan.cani

18 Jan 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
18 Jan 2020
I have kHs reverb and filter as rack extensions. Can I own also VST version and include them into phase plant ?
OK I found the info:
In order to be fair, we do what Propellerhead do and give you a 50% cross-grade discount for any VSTs you own in the Rack Extension format.

Loque

18 Jan 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
18 Jan 2020
Loque wrote:
18 Jan 2020

FX can send your raw sounds from oscillators and filters into totally new dimensions...I consider them as a very important part of sound design. I wonder that FX are useless for you - is your music based only on raw unprocessed dry patches ? And Not all FX have to be per-voice (polyphonic). The most critical is distortion/waveshaper which should be per voice to get poly distorted sounds.. There is no reason to have reverb for every voice, it just eats o lot of CPU without any interesting results (at least for me, but maybe someone else achieved something interesting with reverb per voice).
I wrote "fx in a synth" are useless. I guess you own a big bunch of extra fx outside of your synths, dont you?

As discussed in another thread about delays, there might be cases, you want to have a delay per voice. Reverb might not make much sense, except if combined with other fx like EQ or filters.

Oh, and i am a big fan of fx in my music:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7515662
Reason12, Win10

dusan.cani

18 Jan 2020

Loque wrote:
18 Jan 2020

I wrote "fx in a synth" are useless. I guess you own a big bunch of extra fx outside of your synths, dont you?
But why are they useless for you if they are directly in the synth ? It has a couple of advantages over external FX:

- they are part of the synth patch
- they can be modulated directly by synth own LFO, ENV, MW, etc.. (BIG BIG advantage)
- they can by per-voice (yes, only a few synhts provide it)
- using FX directly in the synth is faster, quicker, more comfortable. You just dial some controls in the synth and you are ready to use patch in the mix.

Of course I own. But I prefer always those in the synth, if they sound good enough.

Loque

18 Jan 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
18 Jan 2020
Loque wrote:
18 Jan 2020

But why are they useless for you if they are directly in the synth ? It has a couple of advantages over external FX:

- they are part of the synth patch
- they can be modulated directly by synth own LFO, ENV, MW, etc.. (BIG BIG advantage)
- they can by per-voice (yes, only a few synhts provide it)
- using FX directly in the synth is faster, quicker, more comfortable. You just dial some controls in the synth and you are ready to use patch in the mix.

Of course I own. But I prefer always those in the synth, if they sound good enough.
I agree only to fx per voice.
Reason12, Win10

Loque

21 Jan 2020

There is some info leaked on Discords about the upcoming Update. You can retry Phaseplant if you like, subscribe, buy it or update (check your account):

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... olbox-FREE
1.8.0 Changelog (stolen from Discord)
*General*
- Snap Heap and Multipass can now themselves be added as snapins, making it possible to do very complex nested FX structures.
- Totally reworked preset browsing:
- Preset favorites.
- Multiple user preset folders.
- Preset search.
- Proper preset browsing in snapins.
- Better Save dialog.
- Made it possible to select a default preset.
- New and improved top bar in all plugins.
- Improved preset loading speed.
- Curated and sorted factory presets for Snap Heap and Multipass.
- Fix for keyboard input not being forwarded to the DAW when a sub window had focus.
- Fixed automation not being smooth when large buffer sizes are used.
- Fixed a problem that made it impossible to enter a parameter value via keyboard in the popup while the parameter was modulated.

*Phase Plant*
- Over 80 new factory presets! Search for \"#new\" in the preset browser to find them all.
- Sample and Wavetable browsing now uses the new content browser.
- LFO shapes can now be saved/loaded, also using the new content browser.
- Filter and Distortion generator FX now have better visualization.
- Filter generator FX now has slope control.
- Distortion generator FX has a new distortion mode: Quantize.
- Added visualization to filter and distortion generator FX modules.
- Improved grid control in LFO editor.
- Improved LFO editor tools. The new \"Stepped draw tool\" makes it easier to use the LFO as a step sequencer.
- Changed legato behavior. Adjacent notes are now considered to be separate rather than being played legato.
- Adjusted the layout of the add modulator popup to be consistent with the same popup for generators and snapins.
- Fixed a crash when adding audio rate modulations to a Sampler while playing a note.
- Fixed samples sometimes not playing after loading a preset.
- Fix for root and loop settings not updating as they should when loading samples.
- Fix for old sample playing at the wrong pitch for a split second when browsing samples.

*Filter*
- Added slope control.

*Distortion*
- New distortion mode: Quantize.

*Carve EQ*
- New visual style with better controls in Snapin mode.

*Slice EQ*
- New visual style with better controls in Snapin mode.
- Global frequency offset, making it easier to modulate the whole EQ curve like a filter.

*macOS*
- Fixed jittery knob drag behavior with high DPI gaming mouses.
- Fixed graphical glitches.
- Improved UI performance.
- Fixed plugins failing AUVal on older macOS versions.

*Windows*
- Fixed a problem with drag and drop on high DPI screens.
- Fixed a problem where the window got focused after a popup window was removed.
Reason12, Win10

dusan.cani

21 Jan 2020

When it will be available ?

I am expecting this update since I've seen their video stream before christmas where they showed PP update. And yesterday I noticed that manual is updated with features of new update.

But I did not found any info on their site. Also if I run khs installer and go to update tab, there is no new update.

Loque

21 Jan 2020

dusan.cani wrote:
21 Jan 2020
When it will be available ?

I am expecting this update since I've seen their video stream before christmas where they showed PP update. And yesterday I noticed that manual is updated with features of new update.

But I did not found any info on their site. Also if I run khs installer and go to update tab, there is no new update.
I just got an email and it should be available via the updater.
Reason12, Win10

dusan.cani

22 Jan 2020

OK I reinstalled the installer and got update too...

The new slope feature on the filter greatly affects the sound ! I love it.

And new browser is nice.

dusan.cani

26 Jan 2020

So I've decided to pick it up when it was on sale. (thanks Loque for reminder)

I've incorporated PP in mix with MX and Pigments, and oh, this is a KILLER combination ! This synth trio is now my primary synth setup.

I also discovered that PP is powerful synth on its own (without using FXs on lanes). In fact it has distortion and filter in generator area to provide audio rate modulation. And as I mentioned earlier in this thread, audio rate modulation brings a ton of possibilites to shape the timbre. But these two generator-based effects are very powerful also for their primary task.

For those, who own Reverb and use it on lanes in PP - don't forget to use that free 3-band EQ for fine tuning the reverb sound ! It is veeery handy for tasks like remove rumble for reverb sound, or emphasize mids and highs. But note that for this, it neccessary to use MIX on the lane where you have reverb and MIX on the reverb set to 100%.

Or another application of freebie 3-band EQ is to use it before Distortion FX. And then modulate for example mids gain to get dramaticaly flavoured distorted sound. I do this in generetor area with filter instead, but both ways bring its own character.

• Information