Roli customers - FREE Waves TrueVerb, May 24 - May 31

Discuss VST stuff here!
joeyluck

24 May 2019

Check your email for a message and link from Roli.

I haven't used this yet. I feel pretty satisfied with my numerous reverb options. But I registered a copy to my account and will check it out later :puf_smile:

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 May 2019

Trueverb is AWESOME.

So - Waves plugins - you really should read the manual before you test out a plugin. Take it from a guy who's read almost every single manual they have for FUN. There are lots of fascinating tips and tricks in the Trueverb manual, plus a pretty interesting tutorial on how to stack Trueverbs to create a space within a space. Very cool stuff.

http://ecmc.rochester.edu/ecmc/docs/wav ... ueverb.pdf
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

24 May 2019

hurricane wrote:
24 May 2019
Trueverb is AWESOME.

So - Waves plugins - you really should read the manual before you test out a plugin. Take it from a guy who's read almost every single manual they have for FUN. There are lots of fascinating tips and tricks in the Trueverb manual, plus a pretty interesting tutorial on how to stack Trueverbs to create a space within a space. Very cool stuff.

http://ecmc.rochester.edu/ecmc/docs/wav ... ueverb.pdf
Thanks! I'll check this out.

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 May 2019

To those who don't want to bother with Waves or their manuals, here is a snippet from the Trueverb manual. There's info like this in most of their manuals. I love this stuff :

Imagine the room

The important thing in making these choices is what works artistically, and also having a clear picture in your mind of the situation you are trying to create. A confusion in the goal is likely to result in a confused sound picture. There are obviously trade-offs that have to be made - it is unreasonable, for example, to expect simultaneously a very intimate sound with a lot of bright impact, and yet at the same time to expect the sound of a large PA a long way away in a large place. Both kinds of effect may have their attractions, but you have to make decisions about what aspects are appropriate to a given recording.

Large scale orchestral recordings will generally not sound best if placed too close or in a too-small room with too short a reverberation time. In general, orchestral reverberation times will be between 1.3 and 2.3 seconds, and distances of 10 to 20 meters may be appropriate, with room sizes from 4000 to 20000 cubic meters.

However, what is appropriate to a large romantic symphony orchestra will not be appropriate to a small chamber orchestra, such as used in authentic performances of music of the baroque or classical period. Here, smaller venues with slightly smaller distances and reverberation times may well prove more appropriate.

Chamber music is often heard in larger halls than it should be for the musical style. The reason is because of the need to finance concerts by having a large audience size. In using the TrueVerb with this kind of music, ask yourself if maybe a closer distance in a smaller room may not in fact be more appropriate musically for a more intimate effect. The same may apply to small jazz groups, which may often sound at their best in a intimate night-club size venue, listened to from quite a small distance of maybe 3 meters. Try and imagine the musicians actually playing in front of you without a PA at that distance. Is the effect convincing? Have a conversation with yourself and imagine the room and its sound.

Rock and some pop music provide some of the most interesting possibilities in the use of TrueVerb Thru process- ing, since rock music works both as an intimate “chamber” type music in small rehearsal rooms (when it can sound quite excellent with a clear intimate sound), and as a large-venue stadium music. Generally, rhythm and blues, early rock’n’roll and rockabilly is best placed in a small or medium size room, since these music were not conceived in terms of large venue performances. Most ‘indie’ rock is probably best also not placed in too large an acoustic space. This may be perfect for a virtual garage, with cheap rugs!

Whatever kind of music you are placing in a space with the TrueVerb, the best results will be obtained if you do not attempt to go for exaggerated effects, although these certainly can be achieved when required. Instead, processing that is relatively ‘natural’ often proves to be much more satisfying when listened to for longer periods. As always in processing recordings, what gives the biggest immediate impact may well not be what proves to be most satisfying or comfortable to listen to over the whole of a piece of music or an album. In that situation, a naturally unobtrusive effect may prove to be far better.

And often, the simple fact of the music sounding good and comfortable may have a bigger long-term impact on listeners than the initial “gee-whiz” impact of an initially spectacular sound. On the other hand, TrueVerb gives you a group of tools based on nature that you can use very unnaturally! And so it goes.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

• Information