Any experiences with Audiaire Zone VST synth?

Discuss VST stuff here!
User avatar
reddust
Posts: 398
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 16 May 2019

Hi,

I was watching some reviews and videos on Spire last days because it is one o the few synths I still want to add to my library and got to know Audiaire's Zone VST and now I am hesitating which one of them should be in my library or if both should which one might have a highest priority for making music. But searching on the internet I haven't found very much user feedback and even less with Reason as the main DAW.

I find most of the things it offers are already covered in the plugins I already own, specially with Serum, but it has a nice feature that is very interesting for me and seems pretty easy to use, I'm talking about the kind of step sequencer it has, very similar to what the RE Super Audio Cart has but assignable to any parameter and customizable for each parameter as well. You can see what I'm talking about here on the video starting from minute 1:30.



As I tend to make very rhythmic/percussive music, this way to work with arpeggiator/sequencers inside the plugin itself is something I really like, that's something I could confirm after using Super Audio Cart. The thing is that apart from that I don't see anything special about this VST and even when I can afford it and splice is offering it as a rent-to-own product I found Spire to have better sound - at least from what I've seen so far on internet. But Spire hasn't such a rent-to-own plan and never seems to come lower than 129€ when in sale.

What would you say? Have you had experiences with this synth? and spire as well? are both worth having long term or just one of them should be enough? or maybe Serum is already enough? Just want to hear your thoughts

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1190
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 16 May 2019

reddust wrote:
16 May 2019

As I tend to make very rhythmic/percussive music, this way to work with arpeggiator/sequencers inside the plugin itself is something I really like
I don't know. I'd take Kompulsion's and PSQ's functionality over any built-in sequencer any time. What they sell as an innovation, dragging the paramenter onto the sequence and not vice versa, is ridiculous. Trusty old Matrix has the same or more features as I see it and you can have as many of them as you like.

User avatar
reddust
Posts: 398
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 16 May 2019

diminished wrote:
16 May 2019
I don't know. I'd take Kompulsion's and PSQ's functionality over any built-in sequencer any time. What they sell as an innovation, dragging the paramenter onto the sequence and not vice versa, is ridiculous. Trusty old Matrix has the same or more features as I see it and you can have as many of them as you like.
I wonder if the new RE Sequences by Robotic Bean is also able to do that, I hate the look on matrix, it kind of hurts my eyes working with it.

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1190
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 16 May 2019

reddust wrote:
16 May 2019

I wonder if the new RE Sequences by Robotic Bean is also able to do that
I don't think so and I was also thinking of the "curves" mode in Matrix. What they show in the video you could also do with any LFO. You could also use the even more powerful Europa envelopes, they also come with presets. Speaking of which, Europa itself is probably a better tool for any job compared to this one.
reddust wrote:
16 May 2019
I hate the look on matrix, it kind of hurts my eyes working with it.
Hurting them enough to justify such a purchase? I hope not!

User avatar
reddust
Posts: 398
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 16 May 2019

diminished wrote:
16 May 2019
I don't think so and I was also thinking of the "curves" mode in Matrix. What they show in the video you could also do with any LFO. You could also use the even more powerful Europa envelopes, they also come with presets. Speaking of which, Europa itself is probably a better tool for any job compared to this one.
That sounds great indeed.
diminished wrote:
16 May 2019
reddust wrote:
16 May 2019
I hate the look on matrix, it kind of hurts my eyes working with it.
Hurting them enough to justify such a purchase? I hope not!
Not necessarily this purchase but maybe another one that fits better the balance between what I need and how much it costs. The looks of an instrument has definitely an influence on my inspiration when working, I noticed this already as I used to make music with guitars. The old school looking devices in Reason are for me one of its very few annoying things. I know it's personal but I'm one of those weird guys influenced by synesthesia, so I need some inspiring colors/design to make better music :)

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 2981
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 16 May 2019

I tried to get the demo working in Reason and it wouldn't.

I tried to get it working in Reaper and voila. It showed up under a folder VST3i so I guess it's VST3 only at present or at least the demo seems to be. On demo installation, nothing showed up anywhere along the line that allowed me to select a VST version.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 10.4 / Cockus Reaper 5.982 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 764
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 16 May 2019

I just got RP Go2 for its sequencer. I have yet to explore it, but you do have a "Free" step parameter that you can also use in the Mod Matrix for all the targets. Looks like Arp Vel can be used the same way, so two step parameters for modulation.
It sounds surprisingly good and is on MM sale. Take a look maybe?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

User avatar
reddust
Posts: 398
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 17 May 2019

Creativemind wrote:
16 May 2019
I tried to get the demo working in Reason and it wouldn't.

I tried to get it working in Reaper and voila. It showed up under a folder VST3i so I guess it's VST3 only at present or at least the demo seems to be. On demo installation, nothing showed up anywhere along the line that allowed me to select a VST version.
That's definitely an argument not to get it, at least not yet :)
Boombastix wrote:
16 May 2019
I just got RP Go2 for its sequencer. I have yet to explore it, but you do have a "Free" step parameter that you can also use in the Mod Matrix for all the targets. Looks like Arp Vel can be used the same way, so two step parameters for modulation.
It sounds surprisingly good and is on MM sale. Take a look maybe?
Thanks, I'll take a look at it definitely, but I think if I go for something in MM that would be ReSpire or the Noise Engineering Bundle if it does get a sale price, this one is just 10€ more expensive so not a big loss if I miss the sale now :)

User avatar
boingy
Posts: 702
Joined: 01 Feb 2019

Post 17 May 2019

reddust wrote:
17 May 2019
Creativemind wrote:
16 May 2019
I tried to get the demo working in Reason and it wouldn't.

I tried to get it working in Reaper and voila. It showed up under a folder VST3i so I guess it's VST3 only at present or at least the demo seems to be. On demo installation, nothing showed up anywhere along the line that allowed me to select a VST version.
That's definitely an argument not to get it, at least not yet :)
Boombastix wrote:
16 May 2019
I just got RP Go2 for its sequencer. I have yet to explore it, but you do have a "Free" step parameter that you can also use in the Mod Matrix for all the targets. Looks like Arp Vel can be used the same way, so two step parameters for modulation.
It sounds surprisingly good and is on MM sale. Take a look maybe?
Thanks, I'll take a look at it definitely, but I think if I go for something in MM that would be ReSpire or the Noise Engineering Bundle if it does get a sale price, this one is just 10€ more expensive so not a big loss if I miss the sale now :)
I can't speak for the demo but the full version is definitely VST2 and VST3 and works fine in Reason. As for the synth itself it's …. OK. Fun but nothing revolutionary.

User avatar
reddust
Posts: 398
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 17 May 2019

Thanks boingy, I think I'm going to put this one way down in my list then, I think I have enough plugins I'd like to get before this synth and give me more things I still don't have :thumbs_up:

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 2981
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 17 May 2019

boingy wrote:
17 May 2019
reddust wrote:
17 May 2019


That's definitely an argument not to get it, at least not yet :)



Thanks, I'll take a look at it definitely, but I think if I go for something in MM that would be ReSpire or the Noise Engineering Bundle if it does get a sale price, this one is just 10€ more expensive so not a big loss if I miss the sale now :)
I can't speak for the demo but the full version is definitely VST2 and VST3 and works fine in Reason. As for the synth itself it's …. OK. Fun but nothing revolutionary.
RIght. There was no option when installing the demo for which VST version to install. Annoying. I have e-mailed Audiare.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 10.4 / Cockus Reaper 5.982 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Popey
Posts: 96
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 21 Aug 2019

reddust wrote:
17 May 2019
Creativemind wrote:
16 May 2019
I tried to get the demo working in Reason and it wouldn't.

I tried to get it working in Reaper and voila. It showed up under a folder VST3i so I guess it's VST3 only at present or at least the demo seems to be. On demo installation, nothing showed up anywhere along the line that allowed me to select a VST version.
That's definitely an argument not to get it, at least not yet :)
Boombastix wrote:
16 May 2019
I just got RP Go2 for its sequencer. I have yet to explore it, but you do have a "Free" step parameter that you can also use in the Mod Matrix for all the targets. Looks like Arp Vel can be used the same way, so two step parameters for modulation.
It sounds surprisingly good and is on MM sale. Take a look maybe?
Thanks, I'll take a look at it definitely, but I think if I go for something in MM that would be ReSpire or the Noise Engineering Bundle if it does get a sale price, this one is just 10€ more expensive so not a big loss if I miss the sale now :)
Sorry to bump an older thread but just something to be aware of with respire/spire is that for me the vst version of spire is so much easier to use than respire from a workflow perspective. This is due to the way you have to scroll to find modulation sources in respire compared with dropdown lists in vst. This may not impact on others but for me the difference is night and day so worth demoing both. Both sound great though.

User avatar
reddust
Posts: 398
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 21 Aug 2019

Popey wrote:
21 Aug 2019
reddust wrote:
17 May 2019


That's definitely an argument not to get it, at least not yet :)



Thanks, I'll take a look at it definitely, but I think if I go for something in MM that would be ReSpire or the Noise Engineering Bundle if it does get a sale price, this one is just 10€ more expensive so not a big loss if I miss the sale now :)
Sorry to bump an older thread but just something to be aware of with respire/spire is that for me the vst version of spire is so much easier to use than respire from a workflow perspective. This is due to the way you have to scroll to find modulation sources in respire compared with dropdown lists in vst. This may not impact on others but for me the difference is night and day so worth demoing both. Both sound great though.
thanks for the answer, it's never too late for interesting infos... I haven't bought Spire yet, but I already decided to get the VST version when I do, mainly because of its portability in case I want to use another DAW some day, no matter if it would be an additional DAW or my new main DAW, but Reason can use VST now as well as any standard DAW, so VST has become always the first choice for me

Popey
Posts: 96
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 22 Aug 2019

No problem just thought I would mention it as for me the differences between the two are important when designing sounds. I usually get re's but on this occasion much prefer the vst. I haven't tested this fully but also dsp appears better on the vst and assume this is due to the buffer size changes in reason for vst's and improvements they made in the spire vst updates.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests